SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do Monster Trucks have gyroscopes to help them balance?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do Monster Trucks have gyroscopes to help them balance? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My idea of monster trucks:

https://www.mesabitribune.com/...54-4b7bab2551f3.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8983 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I once saw Grave Digger in the outer Banks of NC. They drove the truck across the sound and back. They let kids and adults sit in it and take pics. There’s no special stuff inside. Literally a seat with a five point harness and a steering wheel. One of the mechanics said the back wheels turn opposite of the fronts to help sharp turns. IIRC it’s just south of Grandy NC

Most 4-wheel steering is like that, otherwise you crab-walk like the new Hummer.
Chevy had a version of the Silverado that would steer the back wheels opposite the fronts below a certain MPH & steer them the same (or not steer at all) above that MPH - at higher speeds turning sharply (or at least more than the driver expects) is not a good idea.

There's a lot of variation in controls. Hell, there's like 50 Grave Diggers and how many iterations of BigFoot have existed? I know I saw one with a stand-up motorcycle-ish drivers control.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I got to ride in one near Queenstown, New Zealand in 2004.
Chip #2a (512MB) 339.jpg by David Casteel, on Flickr

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post