SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dogs rescued in Kinston,NC..but should not have gone back to their owners.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dogs rescued in Kinston,NC..but should not have gone back to their owners. Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
This burns me up. People rescuing pets that lowlife people abandon to drown/die, then they get them back and act so glad. You should have looked after and protected your pet, in my opinion.

From Drudge and the Charlotte Observer.
Lady said, "she thought she would never see her dog again, he would be under water"

Well, dear, if it was up to me, you WOULDNT ever see your dog again after abandoning him.

https://www.charlotteobserver....rticle218476620.html

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
There can be exceptions of course, but I agree that this is usually caused by neglect and negligence.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17464 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
One of my old EMS partners left her house for 5 hours over the weekend (near the beach) to get some relief from loss of power. Everything was dry...returned and there was 3 feet of water in the house and one of her dogs had drowned. Sad situation all around, though different than entirely abandoning a pet.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
One of my old EMS partners left her house for 5 hours over the weekend (near the beach) to get some relief from loss of power. Everything was dry...returned and there was 3 feet of water in the house and one of her dogs had drowned. Sad situation all around, though different than entirely abandoning a pet.

I agree, and like Frenris stated, sometimes it cannot be prevented. I guess I am hard nosed , its not like the hurricane happened overnight. Everyone had time to work out a plan, and that should have included animals. I really think most of the ones guilty are the ones that can't even look after themselves.

My sympathy to all who did lise pets, and especially to farmers with their livestock.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
My son lives in Norfolk Virginia and he and his wife were preparing to evacuate when the storm turned south away from them. They have some pets and I was telling them they needed to focus on some other things before the storm got there but they were spending all their time trying to figure out how to evacuate with their pets.

I was getting upset because they were not focusing on taking care of themselves and were spending too much time on the pets. I was much more concerned for their safety then I was for their pets.

I would do everything I could to get my pets out but at some point my human family comes first. I hope I'm never in that situation. I won't judge anyone since I've not faced this situation.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
My dog would stick with me to the death.

I'd be a pretty lousy human being to let fear, or anything else, cause me to not reciprocate.

Some people just lack empathy. They think no more of their dog that their toaster.

In Vietnam, the US Army left working dogs, that had served for years, to be eaten by the Vietnamese. Simply to avoid the cost of flying them back to the US.

I like dogs and cats more than i like people.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
its not like the hurricane happened overnight. Everyone had time to work out a plan, and that should have included animals.

^^^^ This.
Its not like you have to wait for a storm to show up. You can plan year round. Where do I go, what do I take.
There is no excuse for not planning for your pets. Most places even have at least one shelter designated pet friendly.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
If my pets can’t go, I don’t go. They would give their lives to protect me and my family, they deserve the same respect.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've been through 3 hurricanes. Evacuated for Rita with my 2 cats.

The first time I lived in Houston, there was a rental house 2 doors down with some dirt bags in it. A handful of dirty kids, cars parked in the lawn, they'd be out drinking in the backyard until midnight 6 or 7 days a week playing Spanish music loudly, and the kids would still be out at midnight.

I should not have been surprised, but the dirt bags fled Hurricane Ike and left their dog chained to a large tree in the backyard. My next door neighbor freed the dog, took the dog in for the hurricane, and delivered it to a dog rescue after the hurricane.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
If my pets can’t go, I don’t go. They would give their lives to protect me and my family, they deserve the same respect.

Well said!

When i travel, i stay in Marriott or Motel 6. If theres no Marriott brands available, then Motel 6 it is.

Neither brand has ever so much as given me a funny look when i tell them ill have a 90lb German Shepherd staying with me. Paying a small pet deposit is the least i can do for the guy sits at attention by the front door at 4pm every single day, waiting for me to get home from work.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
When i travel, i stay in Marriott or Motel 6. If theres no Marriott brands available, then Motel 6 it is.

Traveling cross country with the dog (80# Ridgeback) and the kids, there were a few times we couldn't find a place that was dog friendly. We slept in the car.

I did wake up once with the dog growling, and someone walking away. We moseyed on down the road a ways.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17464 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I've been through 3 hurricanes. Evacuated for Rita with my 2 cats.

The first time I lived in Houston, there was a rental house 2 doors down with some dirt bags in it. A handful of dirty kids, cars parked in the lawn, they'd be out drinking in the backyard until midnight 6 or 7 days a week playing Spanish music loudly, and the kids would still be out at midnight.

I should not have been surprised, but the dirt bags fled Hurricane Ike and left their dog chained to a large tree in the backyard. My next door neighbor freed the dog, took the dog in for the hurricane, and delivered it to a dog rescue after the hurricane.

I think you understand the essence of what and why I posted.

美しい犬

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
My Jack Russel dog is a rescue from the Puerto Rico hurricane. I don't know what he went through, he won't swim with us in the pool. He also hates wet grass. He is in his happy home now. We wont leave him in a Hurricane!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I cannot for a second think of a reason or excuse to not bring pets when evacuating. It’s not like you’re bringing something that takes any real logistics to bring. My beagles would be vying for my lap any time they get in the car as it is.

Someone that leaves family behind in a scenario like that doesn’t deserve to have them.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15601 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Sad to say that such conduct is becoming more evident over the last few years. It's like some "people" acquire a dog, or more, as signs of their social status or something.

In my view, people who abuse their dogs, or leave them chained to a tree in a hurricane should receive the same treatment.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Fortunately, it is not likely I'll ever have to face the situation of evacuating with my pets. I have 6 "indoor" cats and 3 regular "outdoor" feral ones, and (as you probably know) cats do not travel well loose in an automobile. I have carriers for taking cats to the Vet, but I don't have enough to handle all the cats simultaneously. (And attempting to get all of them into them would be a big deal.) Not that I would want to leave them behind--I'd find some way to do it (cardboard boxes, if nothing else), but it's not as easy with cats as with dogs.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post