SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stun guns for women
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stun guns for women Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
My wife would like to buy her sister and mother a stun gun for protection. Any recommendations as to where to look or what works well?

She asked me about this unit on Amazon, a Vipertek:

VIPERTEK VTS-979 - 53 Billion Stun Gun - Rechargeable with Safety Disable Pin LED Flashlight, Pink https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F...cp_taa_6841BbJ22EJ2C

I know nothing about stun guns.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Any reason not to get a taser?
Distance ... zapp’em, drop taser and run.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I suppose a good taser isn't out of the question.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I like this taser. Excuse me, stun gun!

https://yellowjacketcase.com/

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I like my stun gun.
The snap of electricity & smell of Ozone ....
It’s a nice visual deterrent.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Why not a pistol? I wouldn't like the idea of my wife having to get close enough to a perp to use a stun gun. She carries a LC9 and loves it, she doesn't even check the mail without it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I own a similar Vipertek product. It is fun to play with, is rechargeable, and has the built in flashlight and one-button switch/activation.

It is the finest chinesium product of it's kind, but you get what you pay for. I use mine as a toy, but would not bet my life on it.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
I like my stun gun.
The snap of electricity & smell of Ozone ....
It’s a nice visual deterrent.

Do you have a particular model that you like?

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Why not a pistol? I wouldn't like the idea of my wife having to get close enough to a perp to use a stun gun. She carries a LC9 and loves it, she doesn't even check the mail without it.

Her sister and mother live in France. And my wife just isn't quite at that comfort level yet to carry a pistol.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
Why not consider a short barrel .38 spl "J frame".

Better than a Stun gun or Taser or whistle or punch in the Adams apple or kick in the nuts..

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

Better than a Stun gun or Taser or whistle or punch in the Adams apple or kick in the nuts..

Because my wife wants to buy this for her mother and sister. They live in FRANCE.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

Because my wife wants to buy this for her mother and sister. They live in FRANCE.

Relax man, seven posts is way too much reading, ain't nobody got time for dat.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I like this taser. Excuse me, stun gun!

https://yellowjacketcase.com/

That one looks pretty awesome but quite out of her budget. They also don't carry iPhones. Cool product though.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Go with a Taser.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Good way to get yourself killed. Stun guns cause pain. possibly allowing the bad guy to let go and give you a chance to get away. Unfortuatelely it will also piss the bad guy off and probably escalate force.

I would get an actual taser that will cause motor dysfunction. ie muscles lock up. better chance of making an escape!!!!

Posts: 7806 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I hate to sound discouraging or like the gun grabbers who say "it will just be taken away from and used against you," but considering these things can only be used at contact distance, no farther than you can reach with your arm, that possibility isn't unrealistic.

Posts: 28007 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Taser is over priced. Try the comparator .
We use Phazzer at work and they even use Traser brand cartridge.

This is their small size civilian model

https://phazzerglobal.com/PhaZ...gonCompleteSet-Black

Posts: 1232 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Where will she carry it? If it's not in her hand or able to grab very quickly it's useless. In the purse is no good. Can't really walk around with it in your hand.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I'd wonder if a TASER is even legal to posess in France, Balze'.

I would recommend the TASER brand of device.

Here in the states, they are guaranteed, only need to follow a few steps:

once deployed it runs for 30 seconds,
they recommend deploying it,
dropping it,
run away,
file a police report
and TASER will replace it free.

THis is why they cost $300 and up....

The model I've seen (besides the handgun shaped ones we used as cops) don't look like guns, and they are designed not to.

It includes a red laser beam and comes on when turned on, they also deploy a 21' set of darts (it may be 25'-I'm not sure-memory is fuzzy)

My two cents.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried a stun gun. I usually go with apologizing or flowers.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
The model I've seen (besides the handgun shaped ones we used as cops) don't look like guns, and they are designed not to.

It includes a red laser beam and comes on when turned on, they also deploy a 21' set of darts (it may be 25'-I'm not sure-memory is fuzzy)

My two cents.
They have 2 new civilian ones and one looks more gun-like than the police model and the other looks like a tactical flashlight.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post