SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    No significant alcohol or "drugs" since March 15. I'm in the middle of proving a point.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No significant alcohol or "drugs" since March 15. I'm in the middle of proving a point. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
rh. I'm sorry for this burden you are under. There is an awfully large monkey on your back and it's going to take some doing to get it off.

I wish you the best and will keep you in my thoughts. Be well.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Sometimes peoples life only serves as a warning to others.

Super familiar with addiction; Rh may likely not live much longer. I’m sorry, but that’s real truth.

King County lost more people to opioid poisonings versus Covid last year. I’m not sure how well we track alcoholism, but between the Russians, fishermen, and natives … it’s pretty common.

I will say it is amazing, although completely understandable - that you would rather live in this shit versus a chance on a better life through some kind of recovery (even if along the lines of billw). Many just can’t, go crazy, end up in prison and/or die a mess.

Thank you so much Smudge for doing the good thing re: outreach. But you too know how this goes.

Best of luck to you both.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26757 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
From the AA Big book.

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves.

Why not give it another try. It’s free and you will not be alone anymore. You will be with family, that knows what is what. And if you will “Listen” you just might stand a chance for a life you have only dreamed of.

Posts: 4415 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
We're on the phone.
You're a good man. I've read your past AA threads so I already knew that.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23380 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Edited: as he is being helped.

Take care RH. I know you are in a bad spot, but if anyone can help they are and will. Will say a prayer for you buddy.

P220 Smudge, thanks for stepping in and giving some help and support.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1116 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t normally do this and share someone’s medical information without permission, but let’s quash some misconceptions. I talked to him about the diabetes. He’s type II, and when he’s not drinking, his blood sugar is in the normal range. When he drinks, it spikes up around 200, and he’s using the insulin to counteract the effects of the alcohol.

The problem is not uncontrolled diabetes, it’s drinking while type II and using diabetes medication so he can continue drinking the way he wants, which is a Bota box of wine a day. I suspect this is why he’s getting resistance from his doctor(s) about keeping him on insulin.

I also drank myself into type II diabetes, and I’m no longer on any kind of medication for it, because it is controlled through diet and not drinking alcohol.

In case anyone is unclear about what we’re witnessing here: it’s the end stage of a terminal disease. It has convinced him that he’s beyond help except that of his own way. His own best thinking got him here, and dammit, everyone else is wrong, including the doctors in their expensive cars.

Also, please don’t thank me for this. I’d rather not get into why, but this whole thing is just painful.

Posts: 17292 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:

He’s type II, and when he’s not drinking, his blood sugar is in the normal range. When he drinks, it spikes up around 200, and he’s using the insulin to counteract the effects of the alcohol.

Dam dangerous. Sounds like you are spot on.

The body is amazing at healing itself, if we just get outta the way. It can't make that decision for us though.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6991 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:

The help you need is freely available. Just ask.
Only condition is that YOU have to WANT it.

You mean such as flying to Florida via Georgia for inpatient treatment?

That was a Medicare facility, catering to homeless people playing the system looking for a meal. But my roommate was from Eastern Washington, via San Francisco. He showed up later, here!, and I had to bail him out of jail. I wouldn't have done that if I had known that he was planning to bring methamphetamine onto my property. And he sat right here unable to sleep as I am. But he sleeps, everyone sleeps except for me. I gave a drug addict $1000, and he bought drugs in Seattle with it instead of taking me to medical appointments.

quote:

There has never been a successful alcoholic.

Keith Moon was successful in convincing me what some people must do. I was looking for a better idea, but basically what to do with my out-of-network internist. It's not good when your PCP's staff challenges you with "Why do you keep bothering him?"

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No one here- no one anywhere- is going to be able to convince you that you need to stop drinking and check yourself into a facility that can help you with your alcoholism and mental problems.

You don't want help. This is glaringly apparent. What you want is company while you slowly kill yourself. Well you have that here, but I am going to require a degree of coherency in your posts, so, before you post something, read it carefully before you place it in this forum.

Posts: 107938 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I can do nothing more to help rh, but what I can do is point out that this man is dying, he knows it, and he insists that the solution is more alcohol. In four month’s time, I’ve come out on this forum as an alcoholic with cirrhosis, I talked about my father dying of alcoholism, and now we have another member with cirrhosis and who is dying of alcoholism. This isn’t unheard of. It isn’t unusual. It’s more common than you’d want to believe.

I didn’t think I had a problem. My father insisted he didn’t have a problem. Rh insists it’s the doctors who are wrong and that he needs to drink to live.

If anyone has ever told you that you might have an alcohol problem, if you ever had any doubts, if you ever had any questions, pay real careful attention to this thread. Read it over with care. Alcoholism lies to you in your own voice. It will tell you that while your feet are numb and burning, while you’re vomiting up stomachfuls of blood, coughing up blood, spraying blood out of your ass, that the answer is more alcohol and that everyone else is lying to you or just wrong. It will tell you that being blacked out driving on the interstate is normal, that sleeping all day, sweating at every moment, never having an appetite or eating, that replacing all water intake with alcohol is not only ok, it’s normal for you. People just don’t understand. It will tell you all that and more until you die a gruesome death. I’ve already seen it more than once, with my father, and with a friend’s ex wife who hung herself a week before Mother’s Day a few years ago, leaving my friend to tell his son that mom died because she couldn’t get sober. Pretty soon, we’re going to stop hearing from Rh, and it will be because he died alone in his home in the woods, a stomach full of wine and blood from the open veins in his throat. That’s how this shit ends if he doesn’t go seek help like his ass is on fire. Period.

Posts: 17292 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Randy, I'm sorry you are going through this, I pray for the strength you need to get past it.

Why, thank you Jesse!

The person that you mailed the SIGforum coin to was my OCD Uncle. He lost $18.2 million $ instead of helping me. He has has to be worth more than that now, but still no help from family.

I'm not sure what happened medically to provoke this topic, but something happened. I trusted my body (no choice), and this happened.

Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
No one here- no one anywhere- is going to be able to convince you that you need to stop drinking and check yourself into a facility that can help you with your alcoholism and mental problems.

You don't want help. This is glaringly apparent. What you want is company while you slowly kill yourself. Well you have that here, but I am going to require a degree of coherency in your posts, so, before you post something, read it carefully before you place it in this forum.

You're right other than the mental health issues. I did try booking an appointment with a sleep psychiatrist in Bellevue, WA, and bought up his entire afternoon, but his staff canceled the appointments on ZocDoc.com What else am I supposed to do?

I'll be more careful about what I post. Sorry about that.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
As you hemorrhage blood into your esophagus then onto your stomach, just remember while you’re dying, it’s going to hurt the whole time.

Drowning in your own blood is gonna take enough time, you’ll notice.

Are you booting the wine yet?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26757 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I had a buddy that did the 10-20 drinks a day thing.

Had.

It gave him esophageal varices and when they burst, he had the most miserable death ever.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34185 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
What else am I supposed to do?
Stop drinking, stop taking depressants, and check yourself into a treatment facility, but since you are not going to do these things, no one can help you.

Don't tell me what you've done for the past few days. Stop drinking alcohol altogether and stop taking depressants altogether.

That's the last I'm going to say about this, because it would be pointless to repeat myself.

It is not my intent to be cruel in my comments to you, and the members here will be nice to you as long as you wish to visit us. You could stop this if you wanted, but you've convinced yourself that it is not possible to do so.

Posts: 107938 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure you're 'proving the point' that you think you are.

You're committing suicide, slowly I'll grant you, but just as surely as if you blew out your brains; and we're all along for the ride.

Get help, or don't, it's your choice but if you decide to continue your self destructive lifestyle, why inflict this crap on the rest of us? We all know where you're going, except apparently you; although I suppose it's possible that you do and just don't care.

Get help man, it's a one way street you're riding right now.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
...he’s using the insulin to counteract the effects of the alcohol.

I have an, er... extended ex family member(?) going through this cycle. Thinks he's smarter than all the doctors and it's okay to drink because he ups the dosage. Keeps ending up hospitalized then in treatment and the cycle starts all over again for the umpteeth time. All he's doing is hurting his family.

I won't be reading anymore or opening this thread again.

Posts: 21146 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Stop drinking, stop taking depressants, and check yourself into a treatment facility, but since you are not going to do these things, no one can help you.

Don't tell me what you've done for the past few days. Stop drinking alcohol altogether and stop taking depressants altogether.

If he wants to live, it's gotta be the first option.

Honestly, the complete cessation of alcohol for almost a week should have killed him. Only withdrawal from two classes of drugs will kill you when you're physically dependent and completely cease: benzodiazepines and alcohol. You cannot die from withdrawal from opiates, cocaine, or meth. But benzos and booze? Yes. ER's keep little airplane bottles of liquor or a few bottles of beer for this very reason.

He's mixing benzos (Xanax) and alcohol, and the withdrawals from both of those combined is very likely to kill him. He started back on them Sunday when he started having heart palpitations.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
My dad died of alcoholism. Never knew the man until after he passed away and then family found me after his death.

He was an alcoholic his entire life. Treatment was offered many times, AA was offered many times and family offered to take him. Soon enough the medical issues crept up and the doctors repeatedly told him that his life was going to end in a bad way unless he made life changes.

The only changes were to continue drinking. Eventually my mother divorced him due to alcohol paranoia, threats of violence and soon after, my siblings also treated him like a stranger. Only one sister stayed in contact and that's because she liked to drink and thought he'd give everything to her.

One day the pain from the bleeding was too much and he went to the ER. He never came home. They put in him on morphine and 48 hrs later he was gone. All due to alcohol and thinking he knew what was best for him and doctors just wanted to use him to make money.

Once you're at end stage of a terminal illness all you can do is manage palliative care. Meds numb the pain but inside your body is dying.

If it isn't too late, make some changes. The certain alternative is death.

Posts: 4109 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Removed.

Was not intended as an argument.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43982 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post