SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    do you have a bridge that eats trucks?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

do you have a bridge that eats trucks? Login/Join 
posted
https://www.google.com/search?...173&bih=795&dpr=1.09

Davenport Iowa has three, Iowa city has one that gets a couple , every now and then

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54714 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Yep, several.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3768 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pics?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54714 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
11' 8" seems to be the prime truck eating height for bridges.

11foot8.com

Posts: 2528 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:

11foot8.com

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/USu8vT_tfdw

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20848 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
11foot8.com is the THE canopener bridge. I've followed those videos for years. The videos prior to 2016 are more violent because they are before the city installed the traffic lights.

The average height for most box trucks is 12' or 12'2". Box trailers on semi trucks, and reefers, are usually around 13'4" unladen. The actual height of the Gregson St bridge in Durham, NC is 11'10." It busts up a lot of rental trucks, since most of the operators aren't professionals with a Class A,B,or C, but normal Class D drivers. Every now and then, though, it has been known to peel open a big truck. Before the lights were installed.

Water curtains seem to be the only nearly 100% effective way to stop the distracted from getting stuck, but they are expensive. I've seen videos of them being used in Sydney, AUS. They are very effective.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Water curtains

I had to look that up. Very interesting!

God bless America.

Posts: 13526 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Around here they take out the bridges over the expressways. At least three around here in the last ten years. On I-96 between Brighton and Wixom the Old Plank Road and Pleasant Valley Road over passes and U.S.23 Between Brighton an Whitmore Lake, the Eight Mile Road overpass were rebuilt courtesy of the trucking companies insurers. Those are a minimum of 13"6" clearance but were taken out by unsecured construction equipment.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8140 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Grew up in the QC area, and it was always funny to read about the latest truck getting eaten by the Brady street bridge in Davenport.

It’s an 11’8” bridge as well.

Big thing, is that the street goes uphill just past the bridge, so even if the cab of the truck made it under the bridge, the trailer would get caught.

Still get chuckles.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
There is something oddly satisfying watching those trucks that get their tops sheared off like a sardine can.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15633 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Officer: Sooooo, you failed to observe the clearance warnings and got hung up, eh?

Truck driver: No, Sir, I was delivering this section of bridge span, and ran out of gas. Roll Eyes

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15913 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1529 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
We have lots of them. Parkways with bridges supposedly designed low on purpose so busses and trucks couldn't use them.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:

11foot8.com

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/USu8vT_tfdw
Those are pretty darn funny to watch. You really cant dally around with low bridges. More road speed and you can go right through... Big Grin

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
A bridge located in Griffin, GA.

Posts: 1830 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Have one here in Jerkwater. Railroad overpass. There was a cockup there this evening, in fact.

Posts: 26954 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Some of those guys are not Penske material....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Around here they take out the bridges over the expressways. At least three around here in the last ten years. On I-96 between Brighton and Wixom the Old Plank Road and Pleasant Valley Road over passes and U.S.23 Between Brighton an Whitmore Lake, the Eight Mile Road overpass were rebuilt courtesy of the trucking companies insurers. Those are a minimum of 13"6" clearance but were taken out by unsecured construction equipment.

We had that quite a bit down I-35 south of Des Moines, now they have replaced all the shorter than 16' ones I think, except for one. During the construction efforts, a contractor loaded an excavator on a lowboy the wrong way, with the arm and bucket facing forward and not as low had they faced it backwards. It had great leverage at interstate speed and sheared straight through 3 or so of the prestressed concrete beams under the bridge, completely making it unusable for months and shutting down the interstate for a couple of days. The excavator got ripped off the lowboy and ended up downrange on the interstate.

Posts: 2528 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post