SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    West Virginia pepperoni rolls
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

West Virginia pepperoni rolls Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Perfect winter snack right out of the oven

Posts: 23484 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Looks delicious!

God bless America.

Posts: 13506 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
For super simple and easy pepperoni rolls buy:

-Pillsbury pizza crust in a tube.
-Smaller sized Pepperoni
-Food Lion brand Pizza blend shredded cheese (or shredded mozzarella and shredded provolone)
-Marinara Sauce

Unroll the crust in a tube. It's a rectangle. Lay pepperonis approx. 1/8" apart across the bottom of crust from end to end on the longer side of crust. Skip 1-2" start another row, repeat until approx. 3/4 of the entire crust is covered with pepperonis, it should look like strips on American flag. Sprinkle the entire crust with cheese blend, going a little farther than pepperonis say 80-85% of the way up leaving 2-3" of curst with no pepperoni or cheese on it.

Roll it up. Cut it at the lines of pepperoni, trying to cut in the 1/8" gaps in pepperoni (it's ok if you are sloppy and cut into the pepperonis). You will end up with a pepperoni slice thickness pinwheel. Place on parchment paper, cook at temperature that the crust instructions say for about as long as it says, checking a couple minutes before their listed time. Cook until golden brown and all bread appears cooked.

Heat up Marinara Sauce and dunk finished pepperoni rolls in it.

PS for anyone that went to Radford University in 90's to early 00's they are similar to Chancy's Crusties. Just missing the watered down ranch dressing.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Chancey's Crusties

June 2, 2014 by Nick
Pizza Roll Crusties

Many months ago I got an email from Betsy’s sister-in-law asking for a favor for the next time we saw them.

Her request:

“In college, we had these things call Chanceys Crusties that were amazing and delicious and awesome (also possibly laced with something because they were amazingly addictive). Chancey’s has since closed so you can’t get them anymore. Will you make them for me?”

I’m always happy to help making long lost treats. There were a few versions of these on the internet, but I kind of made it my own, especially the filling.

If you’re wondering where the name “Crusties” comes from it’s because as these bake, some of the cheese filling actually comes out of the roll, browns on the baking sheet, and turns into crispy little cheese bits.

Crispy little cheese bits that you will want to eat.

Chancey's Crusties

An easy to make copycat version of the Chanceys Crusties recipe. These pepperoni and cheese stuffed pizza rolls are amazingly addictive!

Ingredients
Crusties Dough:
1 1/2 tbsp active dry yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
1 teas. salt
Pinch sugar
3 cups all purpose flour, plus some for shaping
Crusties:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons dried oregano
8 ounces Provolone cheese, grated
4-5 ounces pepperoni or salami, minced
Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper
Ranch dressing, for serving

https://www.macheesmo.com/chanceys-crusties/

It is a small world...check out some of the comments. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Chancey's Crusties

June 2, 2014 by Nick
Pizza Roll Crusties

Many months ago I got an email from Betsy’s sister-in-law asking for a favor for the next time we saw them.

Her request:

“In college, we had these things call Chanceys Crusties that were amazing and delicious and awesome (also possibly laced with something because they were amazingly addictive). Chancey’s has since closed so you can’t get them anymore. Will you make them for me?”

I’m always happy to help making long lost treats. There were a few versions of these on the internet, but I kind of made it my own, especially the filling.

If you’re wondering where the name “Crusties” comes from it’s because as these bake, some of the cheese filling actually comes out of the roll, browns on the baking sheet, and turns into crispy little cheese bits.

Crispy little cheese bits that you will want to eat.

Chancey's Crusties

An easy to make copycat version of the Chanceys Crusties recipe. These pepperoni and cheese stuffed pizza rolls are amazingly addictive!

Ingredients
Crusties Dough:
1 1/2 tbsp active dry yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
1 teas. salt
Pinch sugar
3 cups all purpose flour, plus some for shaping
Crusties:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons dried oregano
8 ounces Provolone cheese, grated
4-5 ounces pepperoni or salami, minced
Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper
Ranch dressing, for serving

https://www.macheesmo.com/chanceys-crusties/

It is a small world...check out some of the comments. Smile

Did you or you kids go there? They were legendary. I don't have a picture for some reason after, but here is some precooked.

HRK, are we getting a recipe? At least tell us what is inside.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
HRK those look *delicious*!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
With a tomato-based dipping sauce?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
These are quite simple. You can add whatever you like but the basic recipe is frozen bread dough and sliced pepperoni from the supermarket.

In the frozen food section we get a package of three bread dough loaves, and one package of pepperoni slices, your choice.

Let the bread dough thaw but not rise, otherwise you get light airy rolls and the pepperoni required will double and the juices won't infiltrate the dough while cooking.

I preheat the oven to 400 convection while I prep the rolls.

Pull off a section of bread dough, stuff in about 3 slices of pepperoni, fold over and then lay in 3 more slices, fold over and kneed into a ball, place on a greased cookie sheet.

You can make them as large or small or random as you like in size, I don't care for them being too large, prefer more pepperoni than roll.

Place them in oven for 15 minutes and check add time as needed. Pull let cool for 10 seconds and grab one because you can't wait, suggest though you heed the advice of your burning fingertips and wait a minute before shoving in your mouth.

Heres the inside, notice how the pepperoni infuses the dough with a nice flavor of the pepperoni.

Again this is the way they are made in WV, where I learned of them visiting my future in-laws and my wife bought me some at Bonnie Belles in Nutter Fort.

Posts: 23484 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
OK...that photo jus went over the top...heading to Publix in a few minutes for some dough...I have everything else Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I know what I'm bringing to my brothers house the next time I hang out. these two simple fixings'

His kids will have a ball making this. No egg or nuts. Perfect.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
They keep well, I put them in a large gallon plastic ziplock bag, I guess you could freeze them but the never seem to last long enough to need freezing.

To reheat I put one in the microwave wrapped in a paper towel for about 30 seconds, less if it's smaller, a bit longer if I put in two rolls

Yes these are simple, quick, by the time the oven preheats you have them rolled up ready to go and no mess.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Never use that shitty pre shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That photo has me salivating all over my keyboard!!

Posts: 6624 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Best rolls ever

Colasessanos pepperoni rolls and pizza are to die for.

These are about 8" to 9" long. Fresh mozzarella cheese, square cut pepperoni sticks, sauce, and sometimes Oliverio brand peppers (Made up the road from Fairmont about 15 miles)

From Trip Advisor YOU GOTTA CLICK HERE

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BigJoe,

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14011 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Why have I never made these?

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Why have I never made these?

Colasessanos will ship you some. Bit pricey.

Posts: 14011 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Olivario makes great peppers we have them brought down when family travels here as payment for a free room lol

Here is the pepperoni and bread I get at Publix

Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Olivario .............

Oliverio

Please, I must correct. OLIVERIO ;-)

Several years ago. I had the pleasure of touring the pepper processing plant in Clarksburg. Tour started at 8am. One the older family members had been there since 4am processing peppers by hand. He was an older gent. Probably 80 or so.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Did you or you kids go there? They were legendary. I don't have a picture for some reason after, but here is some precooked.

They were probably after my time. I graduated from VA Tech in 1965.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 41,

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Olivario .............

Oliverio

Please, I must correct. OLIVERIO ;-)

Several years ago. I had the pleasure of touring the pepper processing plant in Clarksburg. Tour started at 8am. One the older family members had been there since 4am processing peppers by hand. He was an older gent. Probably 80 or so.

My wife's family is in Clarksburg they know the family well, used to get steak sandwich
At the Italian heritage festival from them