SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coffee maker help
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coffee maker help Login/Join 
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
A few years ago my wife switched to a Kurig. As a quick & convenient caffeine dispensing device I guess it's OK, but I've never been satisfied with the coffee that comes from them. I still grind my own beans & have kept using the French press.

I like GOOD coffee & most of what I've read about the Aeropress has been favorable, so I ordered one & it should be here tomorrow for a tryout. I normally only drink one 20oz Yeti tumbler of coffee per day, so while I can afford a $300 gourmet coffee machine it'd just be a waste.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
I still grind my own beans & have kept using the French press.

I tried a French press a couple times. Could never love it. Too messy. Too much cleanup. Coffee too chewy for me.

quote:
... most of what I've read about the Aeropress has been favorable, so I ordered one & it should be here tomorrow for a tryout.

We love our AeroPress.

Hints:

• Set your grind a couple notches finer than you would for drip or French press.
  • If you don't want your water to just run right through, it might take a bit more coffee than you might normally use. (I use 1/4 cup. My wife quite a bit less.)
  • They want the water at 175°F to 185°F.

The water temp can be tricky. We used a cooking thermometer to figure out what the water looked like in our electric kettle. (Bubbles just forming on the bottom.) Then my wife discovered this bad boy: Miroco Electric Kettle Temperature Control. That thing rocks Smile

If you find you like the AeroPress I recommend grabbing one of the metal mesh filters for it. Cleanup is a bit more work, but then you get some of the coffee oils in your cup.

I wish they made an all-glass version. I don't like the (potential) exposure to plastic at high temperatures is all.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
I still grind my own beans & have kept using the French press.

I tried a French press a couple times. Could never love it. Too messy. Too much cleanup. Coffee too chewy for me.

quote:
... most of what I've read about the Aeropress has been favorable, so I ordered one & it should be here tomorrow for a tryout.

We love our AeroPress.

Hints:

• Set your grind a couple notches finer than you would for drip or French press.
  • If you don't want your water to just run right through, it might take a bit more coffee than you might normally use. (I use 1/4 cup. My wife quite a bit less.)
  • They want the water at 175°F to 185°F.

The water temp can be tricky. We used a cooking thermometer to figure out what the water looked like in our electric kettle. (Bubbles just forming on the bottom.) Then my wife discovered this bad boy: Miroco Electric Kettle Temperature Control. That thing rocks Smile

If you find you like the AeroPress I recommend grabbing one of the metal mesh filters for it. Cleanup is a bit more work, but then you get some of the coffee oils in your cup.

I wish they made an all-glass version. I don't like the (potential) exposure to plastic at high temperatures is all.

The Aeropress arrived this morning, along with a mesh filter that I figured I would prefer over the paper. I ground some coffee a little finer than for drip, then I made myself a cup. Then my wife read the instructions & made herself a latte. I wasn't expecting really great results, since it was the first use, but both turned out really well.

All in all, it took less time & less clean up than the French press, but the coffee was just as good.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to do french press but moved to the Aeropress and am currently doing the Oxo drip coffee cup thing that's like $17 on amazon. I grind with a Hario grinder and I am quite happy with the setup. Excellent coffee, no temps or crazy steps, quick clean up, i just wish it made more of coffee as it's about 12oz.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My Isomac Zaffiro dual use single boiler E61 pro-sumer espresso machine has given up the ghost. Bought it back in February 2003.
Decided that at my age shipping it back east for extensive expensive repairs or buying a new $$$$ replacement didn't pass the sanity check.

Sadly I'll miss my great crema shots from it and many of the drinks made with it.

So I'll press on with my Ninja CM401 SCA certified drip machine and a Clever Coffee Dripper (much like Anubismp's Oxo mentioned above) along with my Cunhill Cafe Tranquilo and back up Cuisinart DBM-8FR burr grinders. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16224 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Aeropress arrived this morning, ... I wasn't expecting really great results, since it was the first use, but both turned out really well.

All in all, it took less time & less clean up than the French press, but the coffee was just as good.

Told ya Smile

I'm glad it's working out for you.

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
My Isomac Zaffiro dual use single boiler E61 pro-sumer espresso machine has given up the ghost.

That sucks Frown That looks like a nice machine. You sure there's no local place that can service it?

As for my espresso saga: Breville has already initiated an advance replacement and sent me an e-tag to send the defective machine back--all at no charge to me. That's excellent customer support, that is!

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

quote:
My Isomac Zaffiro dual use single boiler E61 pro-sumer espresso machine has given up the ghost.

That sucks Frown That looks like a nice machine. You sure there's no local place that can service it?.

Nope. No one within driving distance. Local shop used to service all brands but a couple years ago reverted to only those they sell.

Given the age of the machine it might need a boiler replacement in addition to rewiring and replumbing as part of a repair / restoration. That, along with 65lbs shipping each way is spendy and begs the question as to whether to buy new instead. But as said, at my age the return on investment is really the crux of the matter.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16224 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Speaking of the Aeropress, French Press method, do any of you doing this have a water heating method, boil water on the stove, electric kettle or under counter instant hot water...

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the French Press exclusively. And to boil water, I boil it on a simple stovetop kettle, and I use a thermometer to check the temperature before pouring into my French Press to brew the coffee.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Speaking of the Aeropress, French Press method, do any of you doing this have a water heating method, boil water on the stove, electric kettle or under counter instant hot water...

See my comments to just six posts back ^^^^^

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

I use a Fino 6-cup pour over coffee kettle to heat water for my Clever Coffee Dripper as well as for loose tea brewed with my Finum brewing basket.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nope. No one within driving distance. Local shop used to service all brands but a couple years ago reverted to only those they sell.

Given the age of the machine it might need a boiler replacement in addition to rewiring and replumbing as part of a repair / restoration. That, along with 65lbs shipping each way is spendy and begs the question as to whether to buy new instead. But as said, at my age the return on investment is really the crux of the matter.

I hear and see the logic in everything you say above. That said, life is short, you may as well enjoy it. Rather than leaving any heirs more cash, you can leave them a great espresso machine. Cool

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

I hear and see the logic in everything you say above. That said, life is short, you may as well enjoy it. Rather than leaving any heirs more cash, you can leave them a great espresso machine. Cool

Between my two sons (43 and 45 yo), one doesn't drink coffee, the other is happy with what I deem pedestrian-at-best swill. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Between my two sons (43 and 45 yo), one doesn't drink coffee, the other is happy with what I deem pedestrian-at-best swill. Big Grin

Hey, just because they are philistines now, doesn't mean that they can't still grow and learn. Wink

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, just because they are philistines now, doesn't mean that they can't still grow and learn. Wink

One would hope. But frankly the die has long been cast. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by vthoky:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
old school percolator.

Heck, yeah!

When ever we travel we bring ours along, it's nice to have fresh 'real' coffee in the hotel room and full travel cups before we check out.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
we've tried a bunch of fancy models over the years which poop out way too soon for their cost.

Our new $29.95 Pedestrian Model Mr. Coffee makes our bean water just the way we like it.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

One would hope. But frankly the die has long been cast. Smile

Oh, I dunno. I didn't learn about good coffee, beer, chocolate, Scotch, or Bourbon until quite late in life, in each case Wink

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Updated question

My girlfriend has a Ninja coffee maker; seems to work fine enough but I’ve noticed that the reservoir does not fully empty.

It’s set on a full pot/rich. She seems to think it is supposed to do that; I’d disagree. Especially since it does not appear to make a full pot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a barbarian, I enjoy a good cup of coffee. But at approaching 79, I am happy to make a 32oz French press before I go to bed. Fill cup as soon as I get up and microwave.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post