SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is Going On With My Wife's Odyssey Van???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is Going On With My Wife's Odyssey Van??? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
We bought a 2017 Honda Odyssey in June 2020 for my wife and it's been great so far but for one thing:

The GD tires keep going low, I'm out there almost every other week now filling them back up! What gives? The van had 30,000 miles on it but the tires looked brand new. We had one issue last year with a bad TPS which the dealer replaced under warranty for us.

But now I'm having to top off 3 of the 4 tires way too often it seems; they are supposed to be 33 psi and I'll put the hose on and the readout on the air pump is saying 21 psi and 27 psi, WFT!

Do they all have slow leaks? Bad mounting?

I'm about to take it to a local tire place and have them re-mount all 4 tires just out of sheer frustration and I don't trust the dealer, they always want to "fix" something for extra $$$ each time we go and I'm not playing their game.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
3 of 4 tires are doing this? Could be a bad batch of valve stems.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
3 of 4 tires are doing this? Could be a bad batch of valve stems.

Yes it's 3 tires consistently

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Try some soapy water on the valve stems

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
And around the beads.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The valve core screws into the valve stem with a simple tool.
I'd start there and be sure they are screwed into the stem on the leakers.

An example
https://www.amazon.com/CarNeed...gid=pla-594058852212

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has the temperature been dropping where you are at ?? Lower temperatures will, and can affect tire pressure and will show lower readings by a few pounds. Try to measure and fill your tires when they are COLD and not have been driven or first thing in the morning. I hope this helps. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
In addition to the above mentioned valve stem recommendations, I had a car where one tire kept losing air, despite repeated valve stem replacements.

Finally the tire guy used what he called Bead Sealer. He dismounted the tire, took a wire brush to the edge of the rim where the tire seals up to, the brushed on the bead sealer (sort of a black paint thick paint type of substance) let it dry for a few minutes, then remounted the tire. It never leaked down again.

Just a thought, anyway.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
annnd - the rims could have a flaw in them which is allowing air to escape. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Chrome rims? Famous for this... a spray bottle with some dishwasher soap will locate the leak(s)

Spray the valve stem, rim edges inside and out.

Over time the chrome wheels on my F150 did this, took them to a wheel shop who turned them true and cleaned up the bead area, otherwise it was a daily issue.

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Im thinking valve stems also

Maybe go for nitro fill

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
You either have something in the tire, leak valve stem or possibly a bad bead seal. Take it to discount tire and let them look at it. They patch tires for free.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Check to see valve core screws are snug.

next Many cars have a 7/16" TPMS sensor unit nut I've found torquing them to 30 - 35 Inch pounds stops most slow leaks on cars with TPMS. Do not over tighten them. Some tire shops seem to leave these to loose.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:

Maybe go for nitro fill

I like 78% nitrogen.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:

Maybe go for nitro fill

I like 78% nitrogen.

same here...I try to use very close to this mixture in my tires: 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems to early for the aluminum rims to be so corroded that bead sealer would not work.

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Had a tire with corrosion on the bead. Mechanic cleaned it off and problem went away.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This. the possible suspects are pretty few. But the #1 would be corrosion on the rims.
In any case you can either diagnose it yourself or take it to a competent shop who will do the same.
they will toss the tire in a tube and see where its coming from and then fix it. There really isn't much you can do without a tire machine. The other type of problems are unlikely to be true on 3 tires at the same time or just don't leak slowly like this.
In addition is your TPS tripping? because if its not at 21psi you need that checked.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

In addition is your TPS tripping? because if its not at 21psi you need that checked.

yes, the low tire light is on every week it seems Confused

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
last year my forester was losing air in random tires all winter long. And I was consistantly having to fill up the tires. weeks ago I bought michlen cross climate 2's at costco and they filled them with nitrogen. Hoping that I dont have to fill tires again this winter.

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post