SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ok, since the hellish hot weather is upon a lot of good folks. Post up your simple but effective methods to cool things down for those without AC
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ok, since the hellish hot weather is upon a lot of good folks. Post up your simple but effective methods to cool things down for those without AC Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Yes we have fans. But how can we cool things down. Sort of like the hillbilly AC suggestions if there are any. Thanks guys and gals. Stay frosty my friends.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19242 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO AC as a kid. Go to the store that has AC. Then hit the pool for hours. Come home and hang out in the basement. Biggest thing for me was allergies and sticking to the bedsheets.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Window unit in the bedrooms. If you can sleep at night that's all that really matters.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20843 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wait until the cool of the evening (currently 61 here in MQT) and place fans into the windows to draw in cool air. After the temp drops, I close the windows and make sure the curtains are closed. It then takes most of the following day before the temps get uncomfortable. Rinse and repeat. YMMV.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep windows closed and curtains drawn until the sun has gone down.
Keep freezer stocked with popsicles and fruit gelato (or sorbet); more refreshing than traditional heavy dairy ice cream. Make smoothies during the day.
Position fan next to bedroom window, open window and turn-on fan once sun has gone down to draw in cool air.

Posts: 14691 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My heatpump went out recently so we closed the curtains and ran fans to combat the heat. Also hot baths before bed so it felt cool. I didn't mind dropping the 18k for a new system considering the nonsense weather coming up. Hideous. I hate sun anyways, always have unless I'm performing a sun specific activity. Give me rain or snow any day.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have been known to go to an air-conditioned theater in the early afternoon when tickets are discounted and watch a movie. That may not be feasible these days with theaters restricted or closed because of the pandemic.

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
5000 btu window AC is $150 at Lowes. Best possible solution. Cool down during the day if you need to, sleep well at night. Makes life far more liveable.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
My biggest suggestion is to do ALL cooking outside. The amount of heat generated raises the already sweltering temps inside the house. Also, older light bulbs and televisions seem to put out enough heat to add to the misery.

Posts: 2835 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
It's down to 108 now, peaked at 109.
Had a big fan and spray bottle with water at work today.
Supposed to be hotter the next few days.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Just had a Quiet Cool whole house fan installed and it's AWESOME. (Quiet too)

One trick the installer mentioned is to get a patio mister kit. Then item only the patio doors, turn on the mister and fan.

He didn't mention the added moisture in the house though. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14040 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Any good skinny dipping hole used to be perfect.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am wondering about a frozen milk jug of water put in a plastic tub and place in front of a fan. Seems like that could help?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19242 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Get some blackout/heat blocking curtains. I have them in my 2 bedrooms with windows on the west side. They do a great job of blocking out a lot of the heat coming in through the window.

Reflectix REflectix is very helpful, you can buy it just about anywhere. Put it in the windows.

Keep a cold wet cloth around your neck. Take a cold shower when you feel too hot.

No need to cool the whole house, I'd buy a window unit for the bedroom and connecting bathroom and hang out there as much as possible, keep the door closed. In fact, I did this in 2004-ish when the central air went out, requiring a complete new unit, over Labor Day Weekend. As stated, a cheap 5,000 BTU window unit kept my master bed/bath nicely cool for me and the cats. I had a TV in there so it was not a big deal.

I keep sugar free popsicles in the freezer, they help your core from getting too hot from the insides.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11864 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I am wondering about a frozen milk jug of water put in a plastic tub and place in front of a fan. Seems like that could help?

There are some youtube videos of that idea, the most popular is taking a cooler, adding ice, lots of ice and cold water, a fan and vent up from the lid, 90 degree or 45 degree bend, and it blows cooler air. I don't know why you couldn't add some Rock Salt (think home made ice cream mixer) to get the air even colder.)

Go to Youtube and search "Home made cooler AC".

Here is one example, and it will show other versions of the same basic idea:

Posts: 11864 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^ I was gonna say “Google swamp cooler”

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
My biggest suggestion is to do ALL cooking outside. The amount of heat generated raises the already sweltering temps inside the house. Also, older light bulbs and televisions seem to put out enough heat to add to the misery.

We use our grill a lot for that reason.

Posts: 12475 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I saw on the news that it was like 115 degrees in Seattle and people were freaking out trying to buy the limited amount of window AC units. Why don’t you already own a window AC unit? There like $75 on Craigslist in the off season or on clearance before winter. Why are we waiting until NOW to suffer and be unprepared ? It’s mind boggling.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I saw on the news that it was like 115 degrees in Seattle and people were freaking out trying to buy the limited amount of window AC units. Why don’t you already own a window AC unit? There like $75 on Craigslist in the off season or on clearance before winter. Why are we waiting until NOW to suffer and be unprepared ? It’s mind boggling.

I don’t think they ever really needed them before.

I had to go to Colorado in the summer a few years back for work and found out the hotel would not have AC and was freaking out about it until I got there and found out the days were pleasantly cool and the nights could be downright chilly.

I suspect it was the same there…until now

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have these gel ice packs from Japan. Keep in the freezer and they stay cold, not cool, for hours. Once, I actually lay down on it bare skin (my back) and had waffle marks from the cover burned into my skin for awhile. Talk about freezer burns. I can wrap those to my body to keep cool.

Also, they have these handkerchief type cloths that you dampen and put around your neck that keeps you cool. Great for hikes.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12758 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post