SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Critics roast anti-grill column that urged Americans to celebrate July 4 in the kitchen: 'This is hate speech'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Critics roast anti-grill column that urged Americans to celebrate July 4 in the kitchen: 'This is hate speech' Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I don't know who this anti-grilling soyboy Josh Barro is but he really caught hell on July 1 lecturing people on the evils of grilling outdoors.

Hello? Just because YOU suck at something doesn't mean you get to tell the rest of us that it's no good! JEEZ

quote:

Critics roast anti-grill column that urged Americans to celebrate July 4 in the kitchen: 'This is hate speech'

‘Admit it: Grilling is bad,’ a Business Insider columnist wrote

Fox News
July 2, 2021

Business Insider columnist Josh Barro prepared for July 4 weekend by declaring that "grilling is bad," but critics swiftly condemned his opinion on the beloved American pastime.

The column, "Admit it: Grilling is bad," was published on Thursday as Americans across the nation prepared for Independence Day barbeques.

"Who doesn't like a backyard barbecue? Me, that's who," Barro wrote. "There's a reason you do most of your cooking inside: Grills are impossible to keep clean, they lack good temperature control, and they make worse food than what you can prepare in your kitchen."

The columnist then suggested that Fourth of July celebrations should be shifted indoors.

"Celebrate American prosperity with your fine kitchen appliances and make the food for the cookout indoors," Barro wrote. "Your grill is filthy. The very first time you use a grill, it's delightfully clean. Then food touches it. Grills run at high heat, and food burns onto the grates. Like with pots and pans, burned-on food is tough to remove from grill grates."

He noted that if a frying pan was cleaned with a grill brush people would refuse to eat from it and call the cook "disgusting," so he doesn’t understand why the same logic doesn’t apply to outdoor cooking.

"Every time you grill, you're putting your new food right on top of the burned old food from last time, so it crusts onto your new food. Ew," he wrote before adding that grills have "poor temperature control" on top of his cleanliness concerns.

"Meats need to be seared to develop flavor. Grills do this, but not as well as a heavy skillet on a hot burner does, since the skillet contacts more of the meat's surface area. But once you have achieved a sear, more high-heat cooking is just a way to toughen and dry out your meat," Barro wrote. "Indoor recipes involve strategies to avoid this."

Barro went on to call it "stupid" that grills have a heating element underneath the food because he is alarmed by grease that could possibly drip down and cause a flare-up. A broiler is a "superior tool," he wrote.

"You secretly agree with me about grilling," Barro added. "You may talk a good game about how you like to grill, but where do you do most of your cooking? Almost surely in the kitchen, where cooking is easier and cleaner and produces more consistent results."

The story was behind a paywall, so many critics presumably didn’t actually get a chance to read it, but Barro was roasted when he took to Twitter to promote his work.

"Your grill is filthy, has poor temperature control, and for some idiot reason has the heating element *below* the food so fat drips into it and catches fire. There’s a better way to cook: In your kitchen," Barro wrote to accompany a link to the article.

The responses poured in and it doesn’t appear that many readers agreed. Barro’s tweet was met with thousands of comments, ranging from mocking the article as "clickbait" to grill enthusiasts who seemed legitimately offended:

Read all the responses here

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've met an awful lot of people who don't know how to cook on an outdoor barbecue.

One of the most startling to me was a nephew who had been a cook at a Sports Bar in Lost Wages for several years and didn't know how to cook hamburgers properly and also didn't know how to do indirect cooking. I taught him how to do both but afterwards I wasn't at all surprised that the place he worked at as a cook went under years ago.

His mother in law took me aside and thanked me profusely for teaching him as she had to come over every Sunday and eat his terrible cooking and after I taught him how, the food improved a lot according to her.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"There's a reason you do most of your cooking inside: Grills are impossible to keep clean, they lack good temperature control, and they make worse food than what you can prepare in your kitchen."

This is like saying forks are bad because you can use them to stab youself in the eye.

We believe arming our fellow Americans – both physically and philosophically – helps them fulfill our Founding Fathers' intent with the Second Amendment: To serve as a check on state power.

Posts: 280 | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
He is apparently assuming that if you can't grill you're an absolute chef in the kitchen.

Something tells me he missed that mark too.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37999 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is like saying forks are bad because you can use them to stab youself in the eye.

Spoons are bad because they made me fat....

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm going to say maybe it was a joke or a parody... the guy can't be really serious.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Why would this guy even comment on this?
This isn't in his wheelhouse so who cares what an idiot says? Confused

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Hey @JBarro

Admit It: You know Fuck All About Fuck All.

Maybe someday you'll find a job that doesn't require kneepads for the interview process. Until then, shut the fuck up. If your opinion is ever desired, it will be beaten out of you.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
That idiot has never had my smoked ribs or hamburgers.

My Israeli guest said we made the best food he's ever had.
And he worked in a kitchen when he was young.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39769 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Dang, he lists all kinds of potential problems and assumes that there is no way to address them. I dunno whether it is supposed to be satire or he is just a moron. I suppose it could also be that he is simply trying to stir controversy to drive clicks and thus ad revenue. I’ll go with door number three for sure, possibly with a side of door number two.

Posts: 6923 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The heat source below, with fats and liquid dripping on the coals- that's a not a defect of the technique, you schmuck- it's one of the things that gives the meat its flavor. Roll Eyes

Posts: 107719 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel that this is the exact problem with the Internet and the world we live in today.

The Internet gives stupid people, like Josh Barro a voice, and other stupid people listen.

In normal society, people like us here on Sig Forum, and every other Red Blooded American would do one of a few things-
Walk away.
Tell him to shut his fucking dick holster and he walk away.
Punch him in his snobby nose, then tell him to shut his fucking dick holster and he run away.

Whatever the outcome, dumbass wouldn't have a voice, because normal people wouldn't listen to his stupid shit.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Remember Gersh Kuntzman, the girly-man who said shooting an AR-15 was like firing a bazooka? He got PTSD from the experience, you know. I know this, because he told us.

Posts: 107719 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Remember Gersh Kuntzman, the girly-man who said shooting an AR-15 was like firing a bazooka? He got PTSD from the experience, you know. I know this, because he told us.

Unfortunately, I remember the situation, not the bitches name.
Sweden or some place...
Kuntzman can go fuck himself too. The problem is- people listened to him.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post