SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone here done the Financial Peace University? Or is anyone aware of it and have an opinion on it?

Posts: 553 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
There was a Ramsey's thread here, https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4860001724

Q

Posts: 27625 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I haven't, but there was a thread Monday about his books and one Sigforumite teaches the class.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've taken it, its a great program.

Posts: 2762 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Habitat for Humanity here uses it. They require prospective homeowners to take the course. It is a great help to them.

Posts: 1000 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
It's a fantastic course. I offered my coworker free childcare if he paid for and attended the class. (Needed him to invest in his success and attendance.)

He said, "I'm not religious but numbers aren't either. He gets a little preachy, but man oh man is my budget in awesome shape now."

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
My wife and I do it. We never re3ally had any long term debt.

We use the program to buy our cars and trucks with cash.

So far we bought my wifes 2013 Toyota Venza XLE AWD two years ago, and my 2015 Toyota Tundra Crewmaxx last year.

Bought low mileage, CPO for cash. With cash in hand and patience, you can get really good deals.

Basically what im saying is he has some good ideas for debt reduction/cash accumulation which frees you up to have real purchasing power instead of financing power.

It is written for people with runaway debt, but you can use the same principals for cash accumulation.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
It's a great class. If you are married make sure your wife goes as well.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4321 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it was a very positive experience for my wife and I.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
I teach the high school version of the class...HIGHLY recommended!!! My only regret is that I didn't have this information when I was younger.

Posts: 3689 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got the feeling that he'd tell me that I can't buy anymore guns. I've already got a wife for that.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3634 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I've got the feeling that he'd tell me that I can't buy anymore guns. I've already got a wife for that.

Nope, just pay cash for them. Assuming you're not neglecting necessities to pay for guns.

Posts: 1634 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
There was a Ramsey's thread here, https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4860001724

Sheesh doc, you must be on everyone's 'ignore' list. Wink

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12407 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
great class!

Posts: 7740 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:

I don't think he'd say you CAN'T, but I'd bet buying guns would be about 400th on his list of priorities.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. I'm actually being forced into it by my wife! Haha!

We don't have much debt at all, just two average cars that we have paid off a good portion of and our mortgage, with no credit card or student loans. We have a healthy savings, but according to his program we would drain the savings to pay off the cars now (only keeping the 1k emergency fund). I am not crazy about this idea, but at the same time with no car payments we will be putting another 700 away in the bank each month.

My main questions regard investment advice. Are his suggestions valid? I was told to skip the deferred comp offered through work and go with a Roth ira instead when we get to that point. I am thinking about it now because my employer has open enrollment into the deferred comp every july, so it would make sense to do it now.

Posts: 553 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:We don't have much debt at all, just two average cars that we have paid off a good portion of and our mortgage, with no credit card or student loans. We have a healthy savings, but according to his program we would drain the savings to pay off the cars now (only keeping the 1k emergency fund). I am not crazy about this idea, but at the same time with no car payments we will be putting another 700 away in the bank each month.

Unless you are paying a crazy high interest rate on the cars, there's no way in heck I'd drain an emergency fund down to $1,000. That's one appliance, major car repair or medical expense away from needing to run up the credit cards.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I listened to Dave for quite a few years and followed his 'teachings'. A lot is common since approach to paying off debit, I'm debit free except the house and working hard on that nut now.

Thanks Dave!

Posts: 3865 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:
Good to hear. I'm actually being forced into it by my wife! Haha!

We don't have much debt at all, just two average cars that we have paid off a good portion of and our mortgage, with no credit card or student loans. We have a healthy savings, but according to his program we would drain the savings to pay off the cars now (only keeping the 1k emergency fund). I am not crazy about this idea, but at the same time with no car payments we will be putting another 700 away in the bank each month.

My main questions regard investment advice. Are his suggestions valid? I was told to skip the deferred comp offered through work and go with a Roth ira instead when we get to that point. I am thinking about it now because my employer has open enrollment into the deferred comp every july, so it would make sense to do it now.

I wouldn't touch the savings. Just act like you don't have it. I disagree with a bit of what he says, but remember, this is written for people who have had zero discipline with their spending and financing. Kind of the lowest common denominator thing.

Start hammering away at the debt without using the savings.

He also says cut up your credit cards. again, for people who have no control. I have a couple of cards that stay payed off.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I find the concepts to be very basic. Some people really need that. I have friends who utilize envelopes as recommended in the system, because they lack the discipline to not touch money. Some people really need this type of financial advice.

I would not dissuade anyone from taking the course . It just may not be for everyone. There is plenty of good information, I just found it to be incredibly basic. It was painfully simple concepts drawn out to excruciating monotony.

As pointed out...already, some of the universal advice given really isn't the best idea. A $1k emergency fund can be gone in an instant. It isn't an emergency fund in my eyes. Some people however, don't have $1 set aside for an unplanned expense. I've counseled with people that took months just to set aside $1k.

For my household/business budget, my untouchable base emergency fund is $30k. I prefer keeping it closer to $50k. I suppose people that work for a dependable company with guaranteed paychecks (like the military) can get away with much lower emergency funds as they can always count on a check coming in 15 days. I haven't had that kind of security in 10 years.

I found that FPU was for people who didn't understand the concepts of compounding interest, and saw credit cards as a financing means for toys/things they didn't need. I asked a colleague if the course has been updated to address low/zero interest loans since they were common for several years...and he said it didn't. I found the radio show he had was semi-educational, but so many people had the same basic questions every time...so it got repetitive, like FPU.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13988 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post