SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two moon landers will touch down next week
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two moon landers will touch down next week Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://hotair.com/john-s-2/20...wn-next-week-n572207

Russia’s Luna-25 lander could touch down as soon as Monday, August 21. It’s the country’s first lunar mission in nearly half a century, and the first in the post-Soviet era. Two days later, on August 23, Chandrayaan-3 could become India’s first successful lunar lander. (Its predecessor failed in 2019.)

Both missions are aiming for the moon’s south pole region, a site of increasing international interest because of the presence of water ice that could be extracted for oxygen or rocket propellant. It also includes critical spots known as “peaks of eternal light,” which receive near-constant solar illumination that could power future missions and moon bases…

Both landers come equipped with scientific instruments, including ones for studying the minerals in the lunar regolith and scanning for signs of water ice. Each four-legged lander is about the size of a small car and weighed about 3,900 pounds at liftoff—most of that weight was propellant. After departing from lunar orbit, both will make their final, autonomous descent from about 100 kilometers above the ground.

more detail at link

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mining the Moon for water and turning it into useable rocket fuel seems like a series of bad ideas strung into one big bad idea. What could possibly go wrong? lol

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I want a pic of the flag.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Well, maybe not Russia's lander.

Russia's Luna-25 spacecraft suffers technical glitch in pre-landing maneuver

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
So we’ve been landing probes and robots on Mars for two decades these two “powers” are just now getting to the moon?

Groovy.

I wish we had the vision, clarity of purpose, drive, determination and balls we had in the 1960’s. We would already have a city on the moon and be mapping out mars for colonization as the fifty-first state.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
So we’ve been landing probes and robots on Mars for two decades these two “powers” are just now getting to the moon?

Uh ... no? Russia has been landing probes on the moon for a long time. They've even landed one on Venus, which we haven't even managed.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 646 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

The flag will be entirely sun-bleached white at this point.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Russia's Luna 25 Moon Lander Loses Contact With Ground Control

Russia's first attempt at a lunar mission since 1976 has lost contact with ground control as it attempted a transition to a landing trajectory. Luna 25 is an unmanned lunar lander; it was supposed to land near the moon's south pole and conduct scientific experiments for about one year. That doesn't seem to be happening.

The loss of communications came in a brief announcement on the Telegram channel of Russia's space agency Roscosmos.

Link

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
We have a NASA program called Artemis that plans to land astronauts on the south pole of the moon in 2025

article here:

https://www.space.com/moon-art...-site-nasa-shadowcam

of course we will make "history" by having the first woman and first person of color to set foot on the lunar surface.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

The flag will be entirely sun-bleached white at this point.

I still want a pic of it

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
What I want to know is what will be the first firearm shot on the moon, if its a SIG, which one?

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
What I want to know is what will be the first firearm shot on the moon, if its a SIG, which one?

The P226

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
We have a NASA program called Artemis…
One of my best buds is on the Artemis team. Don’t know specifics, but he’s mentioned some cool shite.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Russia's Luna 25 Moon Lander Loses Contact With Ground Control

Back to the drawing boards, comrades.... WSJ: Russia’s Luna-25 Spacecraft Crashes Into Moon
quote:
Russia’s first mission to the moon in nearly 50 years ended in a disaster as its unmanned Luna-25 spacecraft crashed while attempting to land on the unexplored south pole, Russian authorities said Sunday.

I wonder whether some of their top aerospace engineers are going to find themselves near flimsy windows in tall buildings anytime soon...

Hopefully India's mission has better results.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Their top engineers are long dead from vodka. Current design lifted from those long-dead engineers because it’s— get this—“reliable”. Yes, I guess you could say that.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to Russia, the Luna 25 probe “ceased its existence as a result of a collision with the lunar surface”.

I guess that’s a fancy way of saying crashed.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Operator Starsky (look him up on You Tube) gives brief and very informative updates on what is going on in Ukraine 5 or 6 times a week. He ended his report today with a comment about the the crash 'More proof that the entire universe hates the Russian invaders."

Posts: 1052 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that this might be very significant at some point,
Years from now.

But how many years from now?
75? 90?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not quite sure why this is important? Looking at the landers (one remaining Big Grin) and their "rovers" it seems like we've already done that on Mars. They can't be serious about producing rocket fuel or oxygen from the water on the moon. Can they?

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Hey Ivan...what do think of them apples?

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post