SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My buddy has been on quite a toy buying spree
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My buddy has been on quite a toy buying spree Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
Stayed a couple of weeks at his house on a canal in Islamorada in January, his house was listed and we had to vacate for a showing a couple of times. He says he's thinking of buying a 63-67 Corvette when it sells. Then he says he won't wait to buy one and goes to the Mecum auction in Kissimmee, bids pretty high on one and loses. He went through the buying process on two more C3s and they weren't as represented so he bails out on that idea.

He finds a 2023 Corvette sitting in a showroom in NY for list with a great set of options. He has it delivered to near his place at Lake of the Ozarks and doesn't see it for about a month later.

He calls me on the way from Florida to Missouri after selling his house and tells me he's bought a 2016 Z06 with the Z07 option. He gets to the Ozarks and buys a garage near his condo. He goes into a marina to get some parts for his 32' Formula and sees a newer one on the floor and buys it. Then he buys a dock with a 40' slip and lift near his condo.

Today he tells me the seller accepted his offer on a 2016 Fountain 38' Fastech.

So in the past few months he's bought:

1972 Norton 750
2023 Corvette
Garage
2016 Z06 Corvette
32' Formula twin 350 Mercruisers
Boathouse with 40' slip and lift
38' Fountain Fastech twin 700 Mercruisers

His 28' Sea Hunt with twin 300 Yamahas that he had at his keys house is being brokered at a marina, he's thinking of pulling plug on that sale and maybe putting it in dry storage to use at his girlfriend's condo in Fort Lauderdale.

Update: I think I got the Fountains and Formula mixed up. I think the 32' are Fountains, and the 38' is Formula.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pbslinger,

Posts: 7485 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Mid life crisis maybe or more money than sense. GM fixed the cooling issues on the 2017 Z06, 2015/2016, cooling issues. Wouldn’t have gone near that. Wouldn’t buy a C8 either, no 6MT available. One boat or the other, not both. And if he’s got that kind of bread, barndo, with a big fuck off garage, built and built out before buying a bunch of shit to put in it. His $ and life though so just sit back and watch from afar and see what happens next.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12666 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Comes under the heading of can't take it with you.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yep, if you have the coin, why not.

Posts: 6197 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
That’s much cheaper than a wedding ring.

Really. Wink

Posts: 11869 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Comes under the heading of can't take it with you.

That's exactly it.

Posts: 7485 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Outstanding spree!

I think he'll be glad he didn't buy an old 1960's Corvette. Great car for the 1960's but certainly not by today's standard.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7123 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We need PICTURES!!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6340 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy whose collection got too big for the number of houses and garages he had. So he bought a large commercial space and then hired away the crew from the local Ferrari dealer to maintain his fleet.

Posts: 3572 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I need better friends.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12458 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PBSLINGER - Any change your friend is open to adopting me? By the way, I did not see any Sigs listed on his recent acquisitions!

Posts: 468 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I have a buddy whose collection got too big for the number of houses and garages he had. So he bought a large commercial space and then hired away the crew from the local Ferrari dealer to maintain his fleet.

A friend of a friend has a 100 car collection, with duplicate red and black Ferraris, including a modern F1 car. He was in Spain and rented the track for the day and had Ferrari bring an F1 car for him and his sons to drive. That day cost $50,000.

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Sounds awesome!

If you have it to spend, spend it.

Posts: 3509 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Good for him, and may he middle-finger all the naysayers. Thank god it's still a free country somewhat, otherwise we'd have to explain all of the dumb shit we do. Life is short.

And god damn Rick, talk about a baller friend, what's he do, own Apple? F40 stuffed next to a Miura surrounded by lottery wins... WTF

Posts: 5160 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I've always had mixed feelings about gross excesses like this. Your friend's not a classic collector of a specific kind of thing or brand. I really don't care if the guy has money up the wazoo or not. It just seems rather obscene.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16265 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

And god damn Rick, talk about a baller friend, what's he do, own Apple? F40 stuffed next to a Miura surrounded by lottery wins... WTF

He has patented a few drugs for glaucoma and IBS. His fleet of Porsches is equally impressive. I've helped him find a few of them, as he's a busier guy than I am. LOL.

Posts: 3572 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post