SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How does someone get a criminal defense lawyer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How does someone get a criminal defense lawyer? Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted
Let me start by saying that no, I don’t need one now. Nor do I have anything going on that I might need one.

But I was watching a murder documentary and I know that in these cases they always suspect the people closest to the person who is killed or goes missing. And I notice that in a lot of these documentaries the person they suspect always goes in without a lawyer and it never seems to go well for them. I’ve always thought to myself that I’d never go into a questioning without a lawyer. But for some reason I just tonight realized that I have no clue how to get a lawyer in the middle of the night and if something ever happened where I was to be questioned by the police I’d hate to be googling lawyers while on my way to the station or with police at my door.

Do you all have lawyers on retainer or have a plan? I assume a lot of you do, but I don’t and would like some advice on what to do in case the worst case happens and I need one fast.

Thanks as always.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15276 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Though this doesn’t answer your question directly, if you are ever in a situation where you are being asked to talk to the police (whether you are in custody or not) it is just that - a request. Which you may politely (or impolitely) decline. So if you feel you are in a situation where you need a lawyer and you don’t have one, your best course of action is to not participate in an interview.

Do you know any local police officers? If you do, especially if they are detectives, ask them who they would want to represent them if they were ever charged with a crime. That is likely a safe choice since they see many lawyers in action.

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Yeah, for sure I agree that I wouldn’t ever go without a lawyer if requested. But in the case where a loved one went missing or was injured I’d also like to clear the matter up asap so they can focus on finding out who did it. I would deny their request until I had a lawyer for sure but I also don’t want to wait until that moment to try and find one. There is also a possibility that I get arrested and don’t have a choice and would hate to rely on a random public defense attorney.

Your advice about asking local PD is a good one, but unfortunately I don’t know anyone locally.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15276 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
If you could find one, ask a retired judge. They don't just see they also read an attorney's work product.

Posts: 12571 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a criminal defense attorney on retainer but I have a short list of people I would call for representation or a referral depending on the situation. A DUI guy is different than a murder guy. There are various best of lists. Some are pay to play. Some are folks vouched for by their colleagues. Those lists are a decent place to start. Do your research. Websites can offer a decent clue. Better is recommendation from an attorney you know. Everybody knows somebody. Your trust and estate guy at the very least knows somebody to have their clients call when they get a call at 3:00am because junior did something stupid. Friends know an attorney who can make a recommendation. I look at who the local cops use when things go sideways. They all use the same guy. That means something. That person’s name is in the paper in the news story about the cop getting charged. So there’s one number to call. I happen to know a lot of lawyers. A friend’s dad did indigent defense appeals for the state. He knows people and I trust his professional judgment. I know guys from gun boards who practice and can handle a case or recommend counsel. There are members here who practice law and could talk to a friend of a friend to get a phone number. The lawyer who gets you through an interview or sprung from jail doesn’t need to be the one you take to trial. There needs to be a level of comfort and you’ve got to be honest and listen.

Posts: 4320 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
But I was watching a murder documentary and I know that in these cases they always suspect the people closest to the person who is killed or goes missing. And I notice that in a lot of these documentaries the person they suspect always goes in without a lawyer and it never seems to go well for them.

Part of the reason it never goes well for them in the documentaries is that they really ARE guilty. I'd do my best to secure representation as quickly as possible if ever questioned, but if you know damn well that you didn't just shoot your wife because you were 500 miles away delivering a speech, it may be a little less critical than if you somehow find her dead of a gunshot wound to the head in the room next to you.

Posts: 9019 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
The one time I have needed an attorney for that type of thing I was out of state, a thousand miles from home and I did just that, googled local attorneys. I was in a really small town, so it's not like there were many to choose from. And then, instead of calling, I just showed up at her office. She took a minute to hear the overview, asked me sit down, let me tell her the whole story and handled my case from there with a positive outcome.

Posts: 2348 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
You don’t just call an attorney at 0300.
If you don’t speak to the cops, you get taken in front of a magistrate, are charged and he determines if you can post a bond or go into the jail.
The next morning is when you find an attorney, or when making your call at the intake desk-you tell your wife to find an attorney.

Having one already sought out is a good idea. That way you can tell the Mrs. To call Dewey, Cheatem and Howe.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11439 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This is not a recommendation or endorsement. It may be a step above "googling" and checking Yelp reviews, or thumbing through the Yellow Pages (if anyone does that any more). https://www.handelonthelaw.com/

Posts: 28582 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have an account with a law firm. One of its members set up my trust. I’d ask him to get a criminal defense lawyer for me. And someone to post bond – also very important.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9410 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
Though this doesn’t answer your question directly, if you are ever in a situation where you are being asked to talk to the police (whether you are in custody or not) it is just that - a request. Which you may politely (or impolitely) decline. So if you feel you are in a situation where you need a lawyer and you don’t have one, your best course of action is to not participate in an interview.

Do you know any local police officers? If you do, especially if they are detectives, ask them who they would want to represent them if they were ever charged with a crime. That is likely a safe choice since they see many lawyers in action.

Ask prosecutors, not cops. But this is right. Assert your right to not talk and get a lawyer. Family may have to help if you are in custody of course, If you have reason to think this may come up, get counsel lined up in advance.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53226 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Never talk to the police, and absolutely never to talk to the FBI.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31960 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
and add-on question...

Should all this happen at odd hours, it seems you could likely at least request a public defender to intercede in the short term and buy time in order to locate a more preferred, non-PD option, no?

Posts: 6436 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
<snip>
If you have reason to think this may come up, get counsel lined up in advance.

Getting counsel lined up in advance is a good idea whether or not you have reason to think this may come up.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9410 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Recently, Mrs. A. and I had our will & trust amended. After the signing I asked the trust attorney what his other areas of practice were. He gave me a short list, and then said, "I'm the guy you call when you need to find a lawyer who specializes in another area."

In addition, many of the personal protection insurance outfits, USCCA, US Lawshield, etc. have attorneys associated with them and will handle the call in a self-defense situation. I suspect at least some of these attorneys will accept work in other areas, might be a good place to start anyway.

Posts: 6740 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:

Ask prosecutors, not cops. But this is right. Assert your right to not talk and get a lawyer. Family may have to help if you are in custody of course, If you have reason to think this may come up, get counsel lined up in advance.

Yes, 100% this, don't ask cops...this from an former LEO

Most cops have no experience with defense attorneys other than being questioned by them during hearings. That would immediately put a negative spin on their opinion. Either the attorney made them look really bad, because they were really good or the defense attorney was just bad.

If you ask prosecutors, get the names of ones they really hate going up against...because they always loss to them.

Before I retired, I worked in the Courts, as a bailiff, for a while. I definitely knew who I'd call if I need a criminal defense lawyer...unfortunately most of them have now retired also.

As a side note: If you are arrested for a Major Crime, a Public Defender will often be your best option...because they have the most experience dealing with those kinds of cases

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14245 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
As a criminal defense attorney, my referrals come from former clients, other non criminal defense attorneys, and a lot from cops. A good number come from cops that I've shredded on the stand during a suppression hearing or trial, some have actually become clients for potentially criminal conduct, by political D.A.'s. Lawyer's today need to specialize otherwise their doing too much and they're not good at any of it. My cell phone is on 24/7 and I've gotten calls at 4am by people in trouble, if they have the starting payment I'm usually there.

Posts: 2829 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
But I was watching a murder documentary and I know that in these cases they always suspect the people closest to the person who is killed or goes missing. And I notice that in a lot of these documentaries the person they suspect always goes in without a lawyer and it never seems to go well for them.

Part of the reason it never goes well for them in the documentaries is that they really ARE guilty. I'd do my best to secure representation as quickly as possible if ever questioned, but if you know damn well that you didn't just shoot your wife because you were 500 miles away delivering a speech, it may be a little less critical than if you somehow find her dead of a gunshot wound to the head in the room next to you.

Check out “American Nightmare” if you have Netflix. I won’t spoil it, but the original police department that investigated the crime were not good people. Nightmare is the perfect title.

Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Pale Horse Google Karen Read trial Dedham........nightmare

Posts: 2829 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Go to your local courthouse and talk to court clerks or deputies who serve as courthouse security. They see a lot of trials. There are always a handful of defense attorneys in every
jurisdiction who have a reputation for being the best. Ask a few people and you'll hear the same names repeated. That would be a good start in your research.

Posts: 4459 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post