SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    North Carolina Craigslist Camaro ad leads to shooting of granddad, grandson
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North Carolina Craigslist Camaro ad leads to shooting of granddad, grandson Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
A 23 year old father of two killed, and his 73 year old grandfather clinging to life over $4k. I read stories like this and I'm torn apart. I mean seriously, look at the two low life's. It's honestly infuriating.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nor...ng-granddad-grandson

I guess the least I can do is donate to the Go fund me and hope that justice is served, I doubt it, but I guess I can still hope.

The sad story aside, you've got to be careful out there. Those SOB's!

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tragic.

With FB marketplace. You have the ability to screen buyers/sellers based upon their FB profile. If they look legit, it will likely be OK.

I took $5K in cash to help my daughter buy her first car. It was an estate sell but using a family members FB account. All worked out fine.

Just last week I sold a car part to a guy 3 hours away. Used Facetime to inspect the part and his local family member picked it up. All went well.

Too bad for this young man and grandfather that the scum were looking to simply rob them.

Buyer beware.

P229

Posts: 3846 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
That's a truly sad situation.

Never used Craigslist and almost certainly never will, but, if I did and really, really wanted something like this deal, I'd damn sure make sure the deal went down in a police station parking lot.

Carrying thousands in cash to the hood? Just a sad, sad mistake.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
In the parking lot outside of our local police station there are two parking spots deemed "Safe Exchange". They are within 30 feet of the door to the station. No guarantees but reasonably safe. When I sold my Tacoma on Auto Trader, that's where I met the buyer.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 721 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the stereotype confirmed

horrible crime for the victims and family

be careful out there folks -- the animals are among us

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Too bad they didn't profile these two savages and decide against a parking lot rendezvous. Very sad result.

Posts: 1976 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
That was a baited hook. Too good to be true. I recently bought a vehicle with cash. It was considerably more than 4000.00 Went with one of my boys. We were both armed. While one of us checked the vehicle out, the other stayed back and watched. when the vehicle checked out I paid for it after the title was produced and signed. Jr DF remained watching. We left together with the new vehicle in the lead.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29733 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I do a little of most, Armslist, Craigslist, FB marketplace, whatever, buyer or seller. One needs to evaluate every meet, who, where, when, reason & the deal.

Knowing one side is showing up with thousands in cash is a time to step things up. A meet for a $50 sleeping bag, less of a concern.

Besides the above incident, people have given fake money, done a carjacking of sorts during a test drive & similar.

Posts: 6180 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
May meet a guy later today, for starters it’s more farm country than the hood.

Maybe I’ll take my barky Shepherd too, she likes to vet strangers.

Posts: 6180 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Bring a gun, bring a friend with a gun.

Trust no one.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Yep. Don't let a "great deal" blind your common sense.

I was shopping for a bike and found one for a great price. I contacted the seller and we agreed to meet that evening. He sent me the address, but before leaving, I googled it. Turns out the address was a junkyard.

I told him I'd changed my mind and wouldn't be coming. He might have been legit, but I wasn't going to meet anyone at a junkyard after dark, no matter how good a deal it was.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6425 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Tamika Shatavia! Friggin' Srabble names!
Went to a small town northeast of here to look at a female boxer for a companion to our boy Jack. Craigslist add. Went to the guys trailer. wife stayed in the car with her Sig in her hand and I had my H&K on my hip in plain sight. no problems but can'be too careful.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not buying anything where I need armed backup. There's nothing I want or could save enough money to make me knowingly take the risk.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13409 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
Went to a small town northeast of here to look at a female boxer for a companion to our boy Jack. Craigslist add. Went to the guys trailer. wife stayed in the car with her Sig in her hand and I had my H&K on my hip in plain sight. no problems but can'be too careful.
Scrabble names. Ha! Some of my rental equipment had not been returned, so I requested a local LE to go with me to La'Quonda's house to retrieve it. He knew the way, said that she was a frequent flyer.
Question about the H&K on your hip in plain sight: This was here in Florida?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
That was a baited hook. Too good to be true. I recently bought a vehicle with cash. It was considerably more than 4000.00 Went with one of my boys. We were both armed. While one of us checked the vehicle out, the other stayed back and watched. when the vehicle checked out I paid for it after the title was produced and signed. Jr DF remained watching. We left together with the new vehicle in the lead.

Exact same way I buy anything from an online want add. Son goes and parks just a ways away. We've never had any problems but it never hurts to be careful.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Life's dangerous. I buy stuff on CL all the time. Just 2 night ago I bought a set of youth snowboard bindings for my 10 YO. 2 weeks ago I bought an out of produciton SCUBA regulator. Last January I bought an AMSEC 6030 safe for $800. Plus countless other transactions.

I rarely buy new when used in excellent condition works just as well for a fraction of the price.

I feel for the family though.

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
He has a cross tattoo on his forehead. Other than Christ dying for his sins too, I cannot think of anything else positive to add here... wait, there is one thing, North Carolina does have the death penalty.

Posts: 1830 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:

I once worked in an office with a Black woman in 1990. She was preganat when I was hired, and after a couple of months, she took her maternity leave. When she returned, I asked her what she named her new daughter. The name was a "scrabble name." Big Grin

But, here's the thing: Up until then, I was under the impression that these weird sounding names were actual names from an African dialect. So, I asked her what the name meant. She got a puzzled look on her face and asked me, "What you mean 'what it mean'?" So, I confessed to her what I had believed about the weird sounding names that Black people are naming their children nowadays. (I worded my response a bit more politically correct, of course.) She replied, "Oh no - we was just throwin' out syllables."

In the late 1980s, I listed a car for sale in a local paper. It was a mint Ford Falcon from the late 1960s. A young Black guy came and looked at it. He communicated that he would think about it and left. Maybe it was sixth sense, but I decided to park the car one block away in my friend's garage.

The next morning - at 3:40 AM - the phone rang. I struggled to mumble, "hello" when I picked up the phone, and a very frustrated and angry voice demanded, "Way da Falcon at?!"

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10716 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I rented a car to drive to NC from NoVA to buy a bike. Seller invited me to stay at his house, picked me up where I dropped off the rental car. We went out riding in the mountains and his wife cooked us a killer dinner and breakfast. While doing paperwork, he asked if I'd be interested in his Les Baer 10mm. That was a great transaction.

I sold my last Porsche to a guy in LA and drove it out to him. He had wired me $22k and handed me another $22k in wads of cash when I got there. I promptly went to the closest branch of my credit union to deposit it. All good.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
I don't like buying anything off Craigslist or any other type of media.

Because of this when I agree to buy anything from a stranger I pick the meeting spot and time of the meet. If the seller starts to get antsy I quickly say not interested and hang up.

I always go armed and depending on the amount of the purchase I have an armed friend or two riding "shotgun"

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post