SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Peeling Silicone Caulk Like Substance In Newer Dishwasher?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peeling Silicone Caulk Like Substance In Newer Dishwasher? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
We have a GE Cafe dishwasher that was installed in September 2022 and it’s been pretty good so far but lately I’ve noticed what looks like peeling clear silicone caulk along what looks like seams inside. Should I be concerned here?

Of course we are past the warranty now so I’m on the hook for any repairs.

Posts: 33942 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Looks like plastic. When the new GE dishwasher came this week for my families house it had plastic covering much of it that was tight and really hard to get off. Not sure if we got all of it as it was wedged in places almost impossible to get out. I would guess that is what you are seeing.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19265 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Looks like plastic. When the new GE dishwasher came this week for my families house it had plastic covering much of it that was tight and really hard to get off. Not sure if we got all of it as it was wedged in places almost impossible to get out. I would guess that is what you are seeing.

So you think that might’ve been some sort of plastic protective film shrink wrap type thing that was on it to protect the stainless steel interior prior to installation?

I plan on emailing these pictures to GE support as well.

Posts: 33942 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would just pull some of it off and inspect it up close. It should be easy enough to tell if it's plastic film or a silicon caulking compound. If silicon, peel it all off and recaulk the seam...

Posts: 4630 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im going with the protective shrink wrap but it has partially melted.

My sister in law has a newer fridge with shrink wrap still stuck in the nooks and crannies. It almost appears the pieces had the wrap on when they were assembled and another piece was installed over top. You would need a razor blade and a magnifying glass to get the plastic out of the corners.

Posts: 5431 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like protective wrap to me as well. As long as it's not leaking I would lose zero sleep over it.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I’d say protective plastic as well. Probably want that off ASAP will clog up your filter something nasty.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25477 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can test it. Silicon has a very high melting temperature compare to most plastic. It will only soften if at all with a few second of heat from a lighter while most plastic film will instantly burn.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXLe:
You can test it. Silicon has a very high melting temperature compare to most plastic. It will only soften if at all with a few second of heat from a lighter while most plastic film will instantly burn.

Thanks! I’ll try that later when I have a chance.

This is a pretty high end DW and I can’t understand why it would even have caulk in it anyway.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

So you think that might’ve been some sort of plastic protective film shrink wrap type thing that was on it to protect the stainless steel interior prior to installation?

Yes

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I’ve recently seen a similar substance in our 2014 Whirlpool. I’m tracing it back to the plastic packaging the dishwasher soap pods use.

It seems to get caught on the serrations of steak knives, incomplete dissolving.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8154 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I haven’t had a chance to test it yet, but the theory that it may be the plastic protective coating may be true. I’m thinking back to the install day, the installers were competent, but they were in an awful rush and carelessly ripped off the plastic coating on the fridge, and I spent a good hour or longer pulling the rest of it off from various nooks and crannies after they left.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Update:

Whoever suggested trying to burn it, THANK YOU!

I pulled out as much as I could, and then stood at my sink with a barbecue lighter, held that to it and it burned right up, so it must’ve just been remnants of a plastic protective coating.

Just glad it’s not caulk

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Update:

Whoever suggested trying to burn it, THANK YOU!

I pulled out as much as I could, and then stood at my sink with a barbecue lighter, held that to it and it burned right up, so it must’ve just been remnants of a plastic protective coating.

Just glad it’s not caulk

Wink