SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why do trolls prefer Protonmail?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do trolls prefer Protonmail? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
In the SIG Forum Office, Para says:

“Sorry, protonmail is no longer allowed as a primary email address. Every time I turned around, some troll was using it, or new registrants with highly suspicious profiles were using it. …”

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...060047994#8060047994

What is it about protonmail that makes it a preferred vehicle for trolls?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
From the Proton Mail website:
quote:
Proton Mail is a private email service that uses open source, independently audited end-to-end encryption and zero-access encryption to secure your communications.

This protects against data breaches and ensures no one (not even Proton) can access your inbox. Only you can read your messages.

Proton is incorporated and headquartered in Switzerland. This means all your data is protected by strict Swiss privacy laws and Swiss neutrality.

Anonymity is VERY important for those with nefarious intent... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Proton Mail is a private email service that uses open source, independently audited end-to-end encryption and zero-access encryption to secure your communications.
Anonymity is VERY important for those with nefarious intent... Wink

I know people who use it... Even people who aren't trolls who just think it's more private.
Honestly, I don't know why I use yahoo, other than I have for a long time.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
There's nothing wrong with using it, however we should be grateful that Para has determined that won't fly here!

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use protonmail as I do not want google (or apple or yahoo or microsoft) to have their AI engines scanning my email (which all these companies do).

Many people who are not up to 'nefarious' actions value their privacy and would prefer that business and government entities keep out of their private affairs.

Too bad about the trolls using protonmail. They should eliminate the free tier, which presumably is what the trolls are using.

Posts: 28 | Location: PacNW | Registered: March 22, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^I wouldn't presume ANYTHING...Just sayin' Wink

Live Free or Die!

Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Protonmail is a great service and provides privacy that gmail and the others can't match. I use it for all my banking and financial business.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I got a Proton acct in the craziness right after the '20 election was stolen. I went on kind of a tear for security after that crap happened. I even started using their VPN service. Never really used the Protonmail acct. Turns out, I really only needed the alternative in case I ever felt the need to send something more securely.

I have always assumed all my 'free' email services aren't private.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
What is it about protonmail that makes it a preferred vehicle for trolls?
That's not exactly what I said.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
It was highly recommended for security/privacy at the time I was looking around, and so I got an account.
I've since let it lapse (it has a minimal yearly cost) but I did get the impression they took their own advertising seriously.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There are, of course, legitimate reasons for needing/wanting encrypted email. Not everyone who registers (or did register) in this forum using protonmail is a person up to no good. It's simply that I noticed that a lot of members who turned out to be troublemakers used protonmail, and a lot of attempted registrations (which I've declined) which had suspicious profiles, used protonmail.

Over the past year, I've taken many steps to discourage trolls and scammers. Disallowing protonmail is but one of those steps.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I use their mail, calendar, cloud storage, and VPN pretty much because they're not Google. No complaints with the service at all.

The free version is still a free version, which makes it attractive to scammers, so I "get" the policy.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I use protonmail with my own domain. Yeah, I have an @proton.me address, but I never use it.

I suspect the problem is not with protonmail in general, but the free proton mail accounts, which suffer the same issues as any of the other free email accounts.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I use protonmail have for couple of years when I moved away from Google mail. I personally love it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post