SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bye-bye, Flash
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bye-bye, Flash Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
quote:

Bye-bye, Flash
(December 30 & 31, 2020 & January 5, 2021)
Adobe Flash Player reached end-of-life status as of January 1, 2021. Windows users have begun receiving alerts from Adobe urging them to uninstall Flash. Adobe will block Flash from running as of January 12, 2021. Chrome 88 and Firefox 85, both scheduled for release this month, will remove support for Flash. Microsoft plans to release an update for Windows 10 that will permanently remove Flash. An  optional Windows 10 update, released in October 2020, removes Flash Player that was installed by Windows in Internet Explorer, Edge, and Chrome; users who installed Flash Player manually can remove it using Adobe's uninstall instructions.

Sorry, no URL available. Was in a tech. security newsletter.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Lots of companies and agencies that were behind the times are now scrambling to frantically update stuff to get around needing to use Flash.

Our law enforcement training commission's online training platform was built around Flash-based classes. They're now having to roll out a new system at the very last minute.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
They're now having to roll out a new system at the very last minute.
Last minute? We've known this was coming for at least five years. About time, if you ask me. Frustrated with the weekly security vulnerability patches, I've been disabling Flash as a routine administrative operation for a couple of years now. Somehow, it keeps creeping back onto systems from which it has been expunged. Time to kill this virus once and for all.

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Last minute? We've known this was coming for at least five years.

As in, the state waited until the very last minute to do anything about it.

Not that Adobe waited until the last minute to tell everyone it was discontinuing Flash.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Time to kill this virus once and for all.

I would argue way past time. Quite possibly the more horrible POS software ever to infect the computer world.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
First I heard of it, I have 6 windows based units in my home.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
How does one know if Flash is being used? If so, how does one get rid of it?

flashguy (not related to the software)

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

Go here and check if installed

If you have it, go here and uninstall

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23323 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I remember when HTML 5 was announced six years ago and people said Flash was officially dead. Ah, the memories.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18027 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

Go here and check if installed

If you have it, go here and uninstall
Thank you. Apparently, I don't have it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Time to kill this virus once and for all.

I would argue way past time. Quite possibly the more horrible POS software ever to infect the computer world.
IDK, MS Windows among others could give it some strong competition! Plenty of viable candidates for this "honor!"

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Do you think a later update will just remove it automatically?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1868 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I remember when HTML 5 was announced six years ago and people said Flash was officially dead. Ah, the memories.

That was Steve Jobs, and he was right. You don't have to worry about Flash on an iPhone because Jobs wouldn't put it on them after HTML5.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

That was Steve Jobs, and he was right. You don't have to worry about Flash on an iPhone because Jobs wouldn't put it on them after HTML5.

Jobs never allowed Flash on iOS period. See: Thoughts on Flash, an open letter by Steve Jobs.

Bottom line:
quote:

He cited the rapid energy consumption, computer crashes, poor performance on mobile devices, abysmal security, ...

All of which was true on every platform upon which Flash ran.

That is why, in deploying new computers at work, one of the things on our checklist was "uninstall Adobe Flash."

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html Go here and check if installed

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-...-player-windows.html If you have it, go here and uninstall

Thanks, per the first link flash was not enabled. But using the second link, my desktop and laptop still had the files in the Macromed folder and I deleted them as per the instructions (of course not with out objections from windows that I did not have permission to delete them - had to go edit permissions on the folders).

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3795 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post