SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chinese satellite predicted to crash 6:33am ET on Easter Sunday
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chinese satellite predicted to crash 6:33am ET on Easter Sunday Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
I'm starting to see some change in altitude since last night. It's dropped below 92 mi.

ETA: False alarm. Confused
Now it's going back up in altitude just as fast.
It had gotten down to as low as 91.7mi.

If this thing is in an elliptical orbit, that would be expected I’d think.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The tracking line at the Heavens Above site referenced above has more information in the display than I have seen posted here. It appears to show an estimated impact zone (currently in the Gulf of Guinea) and perigee (Bering Sea) and apogee (Indian Ocean). At this time, perigee is about 150km, with a 5-6 km decay on each orbit.

Projecting forward, it looks like the continental US is going to have a good look at the breakup some time overnight tonight, weather permitting.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
been pushed out until about 0100Z Monday +/- 3 hours

orbit down about 20 km overnight

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
The tracking line at the Heavens Above site referenced above has more information in the display than I have seen posted here. It appears to show an estimated impact zone (currently in the Gulf of Guinea) and perigee (Bering Sea) and apogee (Indian Ocean).

The red zone is where the satellite is visible above the horizon from any given location. Default setting is zero degrees of latitude and longitude, which is in the Gulf of Guinea. To enter your position, click on the link in the box on the top right and enter your coordinates or drag the marker on the map that appears. After saving this and returning to the Tiangong track, the window will have moved to your location. You should be able to see the station visually as it passes through it, clear skies provided. Of course the window is going to become smaller as altitude drops.

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Too bad it's cloudy here. Would've been cool to see. I remember when Skylab came over and that was a big fireball (At least I think it was Skylab...either that or a big-assed meteor).

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
I'm starting to see some change in altitude since last night. It's dropped below 92 mi.

ETA: False alarm. Confused
Now it's going back up in altitude just as fast.
It had gotten down to as low as 91.7mi.

If this thing is in an elliptical orbit, that would be expected I’d think.

The display is in height above ground. In some places, the ground is higher than other places, ergo, less height above ground.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Here it comes !!!!!!! April Fools

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Question for the more knowledgeable: Why does the footprint of the path around the Earth have a sinusoidal shape?

I can't imagine the orbit varies that much, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the relative motions of the earth and the space station.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I think it is mostly due to the Mercator projection used for the map. If you could show a globe in two dimensions, the path would be much more regular (elliptical).

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15484 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Tiangong has an orbital inclination against Earth's equator of about 45 degrees. This means it goes "up" to 45 degrees northern latitude on one side of the planet and "down" to the same southern latitude on the other. Since Earth rotates under it, it doesn't pass on the same ground track on two subsequent orbits though.

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Ah. Makes sense now. Thanks.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
as of the last equator crossing, the low point was down to 138.9 at 6 degrees North

it be coming down slowly, but it is coming down...current projections show a possible impact area on the Pacific coast of South America

should be a bit clearer in a few more hours

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“The European Space Agency predicts Tiangong 1's re-entry will take place two hours either side of 2.07am BST on Monday (9.07pm on Sunday in New York and 11.07am on Monday in Sydney). 

Based on the space station's orbit, it will come back to Earth somewhere 43 degrees north and 43 degrees south, a range covering most of the United States, China, Africa, southern Europe, Australia and South America. Out of range are Russia, Canada and Northern Europe…”

https://dailym.ai/2uzhpYM

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
OK, I'm back up. Satellite is over Pakistan and altitude is 88 miles. Estimated reeentry is now 2030 ET today, a couple hours from now. But it's ±1.7 hours, so it could happen any time.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Seems to be dropping altitude now... pretty quickly, it seems.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Seems to be dropping altitude now... pretty quickly, it seems.

Yeah, I thought that before but then it jumps right back up like a stone skipping on a pond. Partly because of it's orbit, tracking over land, and who knows what else.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
(CNN)(CNN) --China's Tiangong-1 space lab re-entered the Earth's atmosphere around 2015 ET Sunday, China's Manned Space Agency said. Tiangong-1 fell into the middle of the South Pacific, the space agency said.

From aerospace.org: "The reentry has been confirmed as 2018/04/02 00:16 UTC (2016 ET). Reentry occurred in the Pacific Ocean off the west coast of Chile."

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Well, these tracking sites suck because I have two showing 134 KM up.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The live ground track still shows it at ~130 km east of the Philipines.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
The live ground track still shows it at ~130 km east of the Philipines.

Incredible. The Chinese have developed time travel!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post