SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kindle Owners and Amazon's Cancellation of a Conservative Nation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kindle Owners and Amazon's Cancellation of a Conservative Nation Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
All, let's say you own a Kindle and buy a book which later, Amazon decides it is too truthful and/or conservative for their liking and delete the book from their sales.

Does Amazon have the ability to delete the book from your Kindle?

If they do delete the book, what recourse does the buyer have?

Just asking after reading that Amazon deleted SCOTUS Thomas' documentary which does not shed a good light on dementia Joe.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I just googled the book and nothing showed up. So much for the 1st amendment. Frown

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You’d have to read the fine print in the kindle contract.

I don’t know the answer, but if I remember correctly, on their prime streaming service, the fine print says you don’t really own any movie you buy through them, more of a long term rental. If Amazon deletes it, you are SOL. I’d guess Kindle books are the same way.

Posts: 760 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
If you've downloaded the book to your Kindle, they can't delete from your Kindle.

My only question is, if the book is in your personal library but stored on Amazon's cloud and not actually downloaded to the Kindle ... can/will they delete the book from the cloud?

Posts: 4702 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
If you've downloaded the book to your Kindle, they can't delete from your Kindle.

My only question is, if the book is in your personal library but stored on Amazon's cloud and not actually downloaded to the Kindle ... can/will they delete the book from the cloud?

I would guess yes, because, Amazon only wants what's best for you. Oh, and all of your money.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why can't they? They delete Kindle Unlimited books when you return them, so I'm sure they could send a signal to delete anything else they want.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Which book is this?

Is it My Grandfather's Son?

That's still for sale at Amazon

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
In 2009 a suit was brought against Amazon for unilaterally deleting unauthorized editions of George Orwell titles (oh, the irony), from approximately 2,000 Kindles. The suit was settled out of court with Amazon paying a fine and promising never to do that again. (They did refund the contents' purchase price to the 2,000 customers at the time of the deletion.)

So, to the OP's question, yes, Amazon can delete content from your Kindle, but they say they won't.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Which book is this?

Is it My Grandfather's Son?

That's still for sale at Amazon

No book in particular. Just happends I acquired my wife's Kindle when she wasn't looking and been reading some books (1984, Utmost Savagery (Battle of Betio Island), and a few others).

The article about the documentary just raised the question in my head. For example, if I bought a paper copy of a book, or DVD of the documentary, it's mine. If I am on an electronic which needs to connect to seller's website when additional purchases are made, the seller has access to delete.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Here's another article showing where my concern arises:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/...l-brown-gender-books

Cancelled by Amazon: Clarence Thomas, Michael Brown documentaries, books on gender top growing list

Amazon, the online retailer founded by liberal billionaire Jeff Bezos, has developed a reputation for canceling content that doesn’t coincide with progressive politics.

In recent memory Amazon has removed books from its online store, used its web services to deplatform a social media app popular with conservatives an even blocked a film about Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas from its streaming service.

Here are some of the examples so far:

"Created Equal: Clarence Thomas in His Own Words"

The documentary about Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas vanished from Amazon’s streaming service during Black History Month. The film, which chronicles Thomas’ journey from "the depths of poverty" to the Supreme Court and everything in between, features archival footage of then-Sen. Joe Biden grilling Anita Hill during the infamous confirmation hearings.

Filmmaker Michael Pack told the Wall Street Journal that he was never offered an explanation as to why Amazon removed it.

Our distributor, who’s the one who made the deal with Amazon, has repeatedly asked them for explanations but they haven’t given any," Pack told the Journal. "I don’t think Amazon should get away with doing these things without suffering at least some PR consequences."

Conservative author Ryan T. Anderson said this week his book, "When Harry Became Sally: Responding to the Transgender Moment," was removed from Amazon last month.

"When Harry Became Sally," which had previously been on Amazon’s bestseller list, aimed to provide "thoughtful answers to questions arising from our transgender moment" and offered a "a balanced approach to public policy on gender identity, and a sober assessment of the human costs of getting human nature wrong."

A search of Amazon for "When Harry Became Sally" doesn’t find Anderson’s book, instead suggesting books with the opposite view such as "The End of Gender: Debunking the Myths about Sex and Identity in Our Society," "Understanding Gender Dysphoria: Navigating Transgender Issues in a Changing Culture" and "Let Harry Become Sally: Responding to the Anti-Transgender Moment."

Parler

Parler, a social media platform popular with conservatives because of its emphasis on free speach, was booted off Google Play and the Apple App Store following the deadly Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol. Soon after, Amazon Web Services disconnected Parler from its servers with just 24 hours notice.

"Unreported Truths about COVID-19 and Lockdowns"

Amazon initially told Alex Berenson last year his booklet on coronavirus, "Unreported Truths about COVID-19 and Lockdowns: Part 1," didn’t meet the company’s guidelines.

The former New York Times reporter quickly launched a protest on Twitter, calling the move "outrageous censorship from a company that gained hugely from lockdown" as millions were forced to shop online. SpaceX CEO Elon Musk and other prominent journalists defended Berenson, and Amazon eventually allowed the book to be sold on its platform. It became the No. 1 best seller in Amazon’s Kindle Store once the online retailer allowed it to be available.

Berenson had been outspoken about the country's response to the coronavirus outbreak, irking liberals in the process. At the time, Amazon told Fox News it was an "error" and the book shouldn’t have been held up, but Berenson had his doubts.

"They didn’t say to me that it was a mistake… I do believe that I’m not the only person who has run into this. They need to be clear what their position is on publishing controversial material on political issues," Berenson told Fox News at the time.

"It doesn’t seem to me that this was an error, but I don’t know."

Similar situations occurred when Berenson released additional sections of the series.

AMAZON TWEAKS APP ICON AFTER COMPARISONS MADE TO HITLER

"What Killed Michael Brown?"

Filmmaker Eli Steele said last year Amazon blocked his film about the death of Michael Brown from appearing on its platform and he feels it was simply because his story "is not the politically correct narrative."

Brown’s 2014 death sparked massive demonstrations in Ferguson, Mo., and around the country, helping solidify the Black Lives Matter movement in the process. Amazon told Steele via email that the film did not meet the tech giant’s "content quality expectations" and would not be eligible to appear on the service.

"We will not be accepting resubmission of this title and this decision may not be appealed," Amazon’s email added.

"Never once did it occur to me that the film would be rejected for content," Steele told Fox News at the time. "It was shocking to me... if you watch the film, you hear voices from all over."

He said Amazon allows other Brown-related films that are the "appropriate narrative," compared to the one his father penned.

"Our side is not the politically correct narrative," he said. "We speak the truth... we make no assumptions, no conspiracy, we don’t do any of that. It’s an intellectual film, it’s not a conspiracy film or anything that would warrant being blocked."

Washington Redskins merchandise

The Washington football team has ditched the offensive nickname and Amazon made sure that nostalgic fans can’t pick up any of the old gear. Amazon removed Redskins merchandise from its site back in July, a few days before the team officially scrapped the moniker.

Ads for "Irreversible Damage: The Transgender Craze Seducing Our Daughters"

A prominent conservative publisher alleged last year that Amazon suspended a paid ad campaign for one of its books, claiming that it contains objectionable content about sexual orientation.

An email obtained by Fox News showed Amazon's Advertising Support service defending its decision to suspend Regnery Publishing's campaign for "Irreversible Damage: The Transgender Craze Seducing Our Daughters."

The book was written by Abigail Shrier, who has been outspoken on the issue, and, according to its description, it warns that ideas surrounding gender are prompting teenage girls to "disfigur[e] their bodies" with courses of testosterone.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

A Regnery spokesperson said at the time the ad itself wouldn't have displayed the book description but simply buying options along with a photo of the cover, which features a drawing of a young girl with a hole in her abdomen.

In an email Regnery provided and said was sent by Amazon, the online retailer said: "It contains elements that may not be appropriate for all audiences, which may include ad copy/book content that infers or claims to diagnose, treat, or question sexual orientation. Hence, this campaign will not be allowed to be advertised."

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I recall reading that when you "buy" digital content, you aren't really buying it, but licensing it, much like software. I also recall hearing about a court event where someone's heirs sued a digital content provider to inherit their decedent's digital content, but were denied as the license "expired" along with the decedent.

I could be wrong though, and as someone else said, you'd have to read the fine print in the Kindle "waiver".

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I've said before here that I wasn't going to cut off my nose to spite my face.
However, Amazon continues to go woker and woker.
At the very least I will try to find alternative sources to buy things, even if more inconvenient, or have to pay postage.
My wife is repeatedly addressing the question of whether we want to continue patronizing Amazon.
It's a hard one, 'cause they got ya.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m off prime video. I’m weaning off prime shopping. I’m weaning off prime music. Wife still heavily uses prime music. That’s the block.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:

Why can't they? They delete Kindle Unlimited books when you return them, so I'm sure they could send a signal to delete anything else they want.

I stand corrected. I guess they can delete books for someones personal Kindle. They apparently did so in 2009. A lawsuit has been brought that is expected to be settled out of court and even Jeff Bezos has already admitted the company's actions were "stupid, thoughtless and painfully out of line with our principles." ... but Amazon likely still possesses the ability to "send a signal" to a Kindle to do whatever they think they can get away with. Here's an article ...
https://www.legalzoom.com/arti...oks-from-your-kindle

Posts: 4702 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I am old and distrust a lot of people. That is why I still buy books, CDs and DVDs. I saw something recently that in a few years, it will be impossible to watch Gone with the Wind.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:
I guess I am old and distrust a lot of people. That is why I still buy books, CDs and DVDs. I saw something recently that in a few years, it will be impossible to watch Gone with the Wind.

And Blazing Saddles Wink

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:

I do the same.
Granted I immediately rip them to a digital format for use and put the media on the shelf.
I usually buy everything used for just a few dollars.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
getting rid of books they don't like is very reminiscent of book burning

Posts: 53191 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does Amazon have the ability to delete the book from your Kindle?

Various articles a while ago clarified that we don't really own the books we purchase on Kindle. I think Amazon can also edit the books you've purchased for the Kindle without telling you they have been changed.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want historical books, or conservative themed books, buy a hard copy now - they won't be easily accessible much longer.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post