SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Visit To My Favorite LGS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Visit To My Favorite LGS Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
There's a little place in Marietta, GA not too many folks know about. It's literally within sight of the Marietta Civic Center where the gun shows are held and you'd never see them.

I've been patronizing them since the late 80's. It's a very small shop with mostly parts the gunsmith had collected over a lifetime.

Many hard to get parts. Lots of 1903 and M1 Garand parts.

He has a love of black powder. Nearly anything you want for BP shooting. Kits, parts, whole guns and all the accessories that go with them.

I first was referred to him as a gunsmith when I came up with a Wildey .45Winmag and it had fractured the receiver. He sent it to Wildey for me and charged me nothing. Made me a customer for life.

The gunsmith was an older gentleman who pretty much stayed in the back except to come out to examine your gun and decide if he could repair it. If he could, he would disappear with it and his son who was a not much older than I wrote a ticket up. The gunsmith looked like he had been doing this since the 1950's. Old school, I already like him.

Beside the guy that wrote my ticket was a very young child on the stool watching his father.

I was 22 back then and yesterday I drop in to pick up some BP caps and possible a magazine for a Marlin 22 I was given.

He reached into the "secret stash" and gave me two packs of caps as things are insane. Price was normal and not inflated. He even had the mag for the rifle that is close to $100 on eBay for $20.

That small child now has HIS son working the register and the gunsmith is now the original young man that helped me.

The gunsmith heard my voice cheerfully talking about how long I had been doing business with them and he poked his head out and said I remember your first time here! Came in here with that hand cannon daddy sent off. Man we passed it around admiring it when it came back!

I'm 55 now, the son is in his early 60's the little boy is now helping me get what I need and the newest is at the register. They all stop and tell him that people like me are the reason they do what they do. The love of the sport, the smell of the gunpowder, the admiration of the mechanicals.

He had the boy shake my hand and told me that they guess I will get to see him grow up too. One day he will be the old man poking his head from the back to take a broken gun in to fix.

You walk in this place and the smell of yesteryear and the atmosphere abounds.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34118 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
That is getting to be a very rare thing indeed. It must be wonderful to have a place like that, and it’s even more wonderful that it has survived for so long. I hope the place is still around so that you do get to see that little kid be the “old man” who pokes his head out from the back. Great story!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great place!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A rare place and a heart warming history. A family passing down skills, values and principles through generations. If only there were more people and places like this.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
What a heart warming story and brought a tear to my eye. You are lucky to have such a place.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Neat story. I, myself would of handed him a $20 (for the jar) as I departed the store.

It is harder and harder for these shops to stay in business.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the store you carried me to.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That's an excellent post Mars. I may never get there in person but you had me there for a nice visit and it was warming.

Give them my regards when you next go.

Thank you Sir.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:

Why yes it is.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34118 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing!

War Eagle!

Posts: 129 | Location: Alabama | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Great story. And yes, caps are getting hard to find. I was able to some recently which really surprised me.

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These people are the true "salt of the Earth".

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
Very cool story. This is rare today.

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I need to take a trip to Mayretta. Wink

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Marietta had an old place over by Dobbins AFB that I grew up in. Fair Oaks Hardware. Bought my first gun there and spent so many hours there I cant even count. Now it is a gas station or something.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sweet Chuckie
posted Hide Post
A great story Mars, and thanks for the telling!

Posts: 250 | Location: White Sulphur Springs, MT | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool, cool story. I miss my gun store and my barber shop back home.. Hopefully people will realize after COVID how important these places are and continue to support small business. I appreciate the chance to take a little trip with you on the thread, thanks for posting it.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Hi, there! Don't see you very often. I still remember you firing my Grizzly pistols in your cave.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
A place and relationship to treasure. We need more positive stories like this!

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
A real American story. Thanks for sharing it.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post