SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I never knew a “pulled muscle” could be so painful.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I never knew a “pulled muscle” could be so painful. Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
Saturday morning I made a bonehead move and stepped into an open access panel, while walking backwards with a new water heater on a dolly.

I can confirm gravity is still in full effect.

Best I can gather is my left foot (trailing) remained on the 1st floor as the rest of my body hurtled into the basement in a mostly upright position, resulting in a significant over stretching of the left hamstring.

Hot dang that hurt like Hades, my friends. In the first few seconds on my back on the concrete floor, 9 feet below where I was previously, I thought my left femur was broken but I soon realized it was the familiar pain of muscle soreness, but of tremendous scale, accompanied by the inability to fully extend the leg, period. Certainly not able to bear my impressive mass.

Meanwhile my mom is freaking out and my dad is not. I stayed down there for a bit over an hour, willing myself to be able to get up the stairs without calling for professional assistance from America’s most loved Hero’s. Really, I thought it silly to call 911 over a pulled muscle.

Eventually I figured a way to crawl up the staircase and make it up to the 1st floor. Another lengthy rest while I experimented with leg positions.

I figured out that I could extend the leg so long as I kept it rearward and jutting our to the outside. With the help of a walker I made it out to a vehicle and allowed my mother to drive me to the ER where the doc confirmed what I knew: nothing broken, pulled muscle. He issued 12 Norco 5/325’s and 10 Valium 2mgs with instructions to follow up with my primary.

All that to say, this crap hurts, man. Will finish off the Norco today, and switching to Motrin. Didn’t want to continue the opioid and my doctor agreed. Hopefully that’s not a mistake.

Another week off work and laying around. Unfortunately, I can’t really sit for more than 30 seconds... it puts too much pressure on the muscle. I can stand ok, but actually moving around is still difficult... that all makes this pretty hard on my wife with the 3 Littles who need taking care of.

I did manage to go through all the Blu-ray’s abd ebter the codes for Vudo/Movies Anywhere/Ultraviolet, so I’ve got that going for me.

Gentlemen, please remember not to step into an open hole that you know darn well is there.

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
That has to hurt like a motha, but be thankful it's soft tissue damage.

When I missed a step getting out of the cargo area of my delivery truck, I got to ride in amber lamps. Surgery to implant support hardware, month and a half in a live-in rehab center, then many months of outpatient physical therapy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Whew, that looks tough.

While mowing with a push mower on damp grass, I once slipped and pulled a groin muscle. It took about four incredibly loonnng months to heal.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I’m thankful to not have broken anything like above. That would be so much worse.

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pray.....Pray my friends that you never pull an intercostal muscle. That's the muscles between the ribs. A cough or a sneeze can result in seizures or unconsciousness (kidding, but it feels like it). Those take forever to heal as it is constantly in motion due to breathing.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 864 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Young or old a pulled muscle SUCKS.......

It has been about 3 months and I am still battling a pulled groin.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Saturday morning I made a bonehead move and stepped into an open access panel, while walking backwards with a new water heater on a dolly.

Yikes!

quote:
He issued 12 Norco 5/325’s and 10 Valium 2mgs with instructions to follow up with my primary.

My "magic potion" for pulled muscles, particularly the back. used to be 5mg diazepam (Valium®) and two asprin every four hours or so. Was taught that one by the good ol' U.S. Army, when I FUBAR'd my back lifting stupidly.

Several years ago I discovered Ibuprofen, which, for me, works just as well, w/o the "dulling" effect of diazepam. (Since ibuprofen is hard on an empty stomach, I'll sometimes still use the old potion if I'm going to bed, anyway.)

quote:
Gentlemen, please remember not to step into an open hole that you know darn well is there.

I damn near went ass over applecart last night, not paying attention backing up while playing with the cats, over the coffee table and vase full of Valentine's Day flowers. That would not have been good.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Try pulling/straining your abs. It’ll be the highlight of your life. Eek

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'll see your pulled muscle and raise you an Achilles tendon (2012).

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
So for those of you that have suffered similar strains and mention months of recovery, how long was it until you could resume more or less normal activity?

My job requires both lots of walking and sitting, and stairs, and the possibility of physical altercation with inmates. If I can’t do any one of those, I can’t work. Currently I can’t do any besides shuffle around slowly over short distances... certainly wouldn’t work on a 12 hour shift. Any conjecture on how long until I can get back to normal, even if it is with some discomfort?