SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How used of a car are you willing to buy?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How used of a car are you willing to buy? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
0. I buy my vehicles brand new with the options I want and keep them a long time. My last vehicle I had from new to almost 11 years old. I know exactly how it has been driven and how it has been maintained and if you're keeping it a long time it works out to be just as cheap as a 3-5 year old vehicle you buy as it lasts 3-5 years longer for you and you have full warranty the first 3 years and minimal maintenance.

That being said I went through many used cars earlier in my life. If I had to buy used I'd stay under 50k miles and under 5 years old for a daily driver, the lower the better.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
5 years old with less than 50k on the clock.

SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than a new car.

I've had my Frontier for 10 years and 300k now and only paid $9k for it, when they were over $20k new.

Cars are an expense and disposable.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34140 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others regarding the vehicle type determining how used I would be willing to go. The geographical location also makes a difference for me. Up here is Wisconsin you have to consider the number of salt seasons the vehicle has seen as well.

Now that I am a bit older with more of a tendency towards OCD, the list would be pretty small.

The few models that I would be willing to buy used usually hold there value so well that you are better off going new.

That being said, a Rav 4, Tundra, 4 Runner, or Highlander with less than 80k on the clock wouldn't scare me off provided there was some proof of regular oil changes......

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first thought on reading this topic was how old of a car. Living in an area with snow and salt age is a factor along with mileage.

When I travel it is interesting to see old vehicles in daily use. The salt always wins unless you store the car each winter.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I can only remember 4 used cars/trucks that I bought. All were from friends that I trusted.

I bought one from my dad and 3 from guys I worked with. These were typically within 3 years and under 25,000 miles.

my best was a 3 year old Honda S2000 that I bought with 6,000 miles on it. I bought it way under book and it was dead mint. It's a 2006 and I still have it today.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2012 Kia Sonata with 144K on it and all the maintenance records. Gave it to my son and he is up to 150K Its been running great.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I had been buying $2000-2500 beaters ranging from Civic's to Camry's. I am a road warrior now so I just purchased a 2012 Acura TSX Tech with 61,000 miles. Old cars are just fine but you have to do all the maintenance and expect parts to wear out.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7083 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
less than 30k and still under factory warranty

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post