SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tax done, e-filed, fed accepted
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tax done, e-filed, fed accepted Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Another obstacle in the rear view mirror.

Q

Posts: 26183 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Still haven't got all my 1099s or I'd be right there with you.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Wow. That was fast.
I did buy the new software…

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23920 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Hell, I still haven't gotten my W2s or any of my 1099s save one.

Your companies must be on top of it.

I typically don't have all the documents I need until the second week of February or so.

But like you, I get mine done ASAP, to have one less thing to worry about. (Though I typically only owe a few bucks a year, so I can understand the incentive to wait if facing a hefty tax bill.)

Posts: 32403 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just waiting on mortgage forms here, then to make an appt with the CPA.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have all our tax info ready to go. Appointment is at the end of the month.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4021 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
ply

No w2's yet. Marines have theirs which is weird

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6236 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My 1099s will be available 1/24/23 — 3/12/23. Frown

Maybe my memory is failing me, but I thought 1099s used to mid-Feb at the latest. It seems to be creeping longer and longer.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23084 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack a thread but do you all see any difference or benefit/harm in preparing your returns yourself (Turbotax, HR Block, etc.) vs having someone else prepare them? My wife and I both have a W2, I have one 1099, and some normal deductions like charitable giving and house/vehicle taxes.

Ours is simple since I am no longer mowing yards on the side so I'm not sure if there is any benefit to paying 2-3x as much to have someone else prepare them.

Posts: 1511 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you have a simple tax situation like that, using one of the software suites yourself is the way to go.

I paid an accountant hundreds of dollars a year for several years when my ex-wife and I were first married, due to a convoluted tax situation stemming from her prior divorce, buyout of her stake in her first husband's business, tax debt remaining from her prior husband's poor choices, alimony, child support, etc. That made it worth the extra expense.

But once that was all cleared up, and it was just basic W2/1099 income and simple deductions, I switched to the ~$50 Turbotax software, and have been using that for over a decade now.

Once I have all my paperwork available, plugging it into Turbotax and e-filing takes less than an hour.

Posts: 32403 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I'll have to double check, but I think I got the last of our 1099's & interest forms from the banks yesterday. I'll have to download the program.

I usually have it filed before the end of January, but last year the IRS kept coming out with updates, so the H&R Block program wouldn't let me file until IRS was done screwing around sometime in Feb, I think it was.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ DIY and save $$$, especially when simple. The first time I hired someone to do it for me, I saw him using TurboTax. And that was the last time I hired someone. That was many years ago.

Q

Posts: 26183 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
No can do, waiting on a few 1099's and 1098's

Posts: 5291 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got all my 1099s, etc, but the VA always sends my wife's at the very end of January. Hope to have it in to our friends at the IRS a couple days after we get that one.

Bob

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
We have everything except our W2s. They should be here within 2 weeks.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for my 1099s - supposed to be available 2/17 Frown

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First 1099 today. Many more to come over the next month or so. In the past I received one for 400 thousand dollars. I called and they said not to worry about it. Sure. The corrected one came two months later.

Posts: 17158 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
Not to hijack a thread but do you all see any difference or benefit/harm in preparing your returns yourself (Turbotax, HR Block, etc.) vs having someone else prepare them? My wife and I both have a W2, I have one 1099, and some normal deductions like charitable giving and house/vehicle taxes.

Ours is simple since I am no longer mowing yards on the side so I'm not sure if there is any benefit to paying 2-3x as much to have someone else prepare them.

We were using a CPA because we also had an LLC & then an S Corp.
This will be our first simple year in about 5-6 years. Still will pay the CPA this year, may go back to simple/DIY next year.

I have an accounting degree (and work in IT now), but never had any interest in getting into taxes.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
all of my documents wont get to me until late Feb but I pretty much know how it will work out as I try to plan things so it's nothing owed and nothing coming back.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, 12131.
It's a good feeling to get that out of the way.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post