SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another hand tool question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another hand tool question Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
Based on more recent experience, I now hate universal joints, 1/4 drive, 3/8, or 1/2, I hate them all. They're not stable, hard to use and control, esp as torque and angles increase.

So here's my question to mechanics and other tool junkies are motorheads: Are universl sockets appreciably more stable than universal joints attached to sockets ?

I don't see the point of them unless they are more stable, in addition to being more compact. Are they ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8690 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You're going to have to spend some money, the el cheapo flip-flop swivels u-joint, and swivel sockets, are equally as junky, might as well use them as a weight on your fishing trot line.

I have some Snap On brand swivels that are 30-35 years old and they are just as good as the day I got them.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The universal sockets are more stable because the socket part is closer to the u-joint than the combination joint and socket. An exaggerated case that would help show this is to put a u-joint between two 6" extensions with a socket and ratchet.

I use Snap On universal sockets and they are very close to the u-joint.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Kinda. It depends.

Wobble sockets are helpful beating flat rate or eliminating ridiculous disassembly steps outlined in a shop manual. Like swapping the alternator on a Honda Fit and removing the intake? Nope, universal socket at an angle gets the bottom bolt out and it slides apart taking an hour off plus new gasket isn't needed.

9 months after the shop had put in on (which took less than 45 minutes hmmm ) the rebuilt died again and I R&R'd the replacement in less than 45 minutes, too. Bolt time was probably less than 15. Flat rate was 2.5 hours or some silly number.

I've used univeral joints on the crank sensor bolts for a 90 Cherokee 4.0 and later found they weren't needed: lay underneath and simply reach straight up with a ratcheting box end. The "preferred" method was a 36" extension from behind the trans at an angle with very little control of where they might drop, like into the bellhousing oh my.

It goes to - use them when you need them, but good luck if that is actually best practice. Better to have and not need than need and not have. At present I have just enough breadth in tools if I can't find where I hid the "right" ones I scrounge up the functionally similar ones and more often than not they work better.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a retired industrial maintenance mechanic with over 50 years in the trade, I only used universal joints if there was absolutely no other option. The universal joint sockets are slightly better, the main thing is they are a bit shorter in overall length but have most of the same issues of being awkward to say the least. If you do not need a lot of offset from the fastener, a wobble extension works much better. I prefer the type that are designed to have the wobble section backed up with a short square so that the socket can be pushed back and held like a regular extension. If the torque has to be high and no offset required use a regular extension as the wobble capability does weaken the extension.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Try this -- slip a piece of heat-shrink (the kind you apply over a wire repair) then heat it with a lighter. It will work for 10 or so useages.

or

Buy a swivel socket set. I got mine at Lowes (the whole set) for a Buy-one-get-one so I got the SAE and the Metric set was free.

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Shop for an impact swivel.

They are spring loaded and that cuts down on the pain-in-the-assery.

Impact swivel sockets work best for me.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Have done a whole bunch of tool turning in my years and the swivel sockets were of no real value for me. While I have them I can only think of a few times I actually used them and that was way before snap-on came out with the swivel extensions.

Now the Snap-on swivel extensions are a very valuable tool to have and if you do any kind of work get them and if you do a bit more then get them all as in all lengths and in sizes 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2".

I have never used any of the off branded swivel extensions but I would guess its like the rest of the cheaper tools then for light use they would be fine but for heavy use or use with impacts them buy quality.

Posts: 18036 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I wrap the universal sockets and regular universals with a couple turns of electrical tape. Works great.

Posts: 1564 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, I would talk to the Snap-on guy when no one else was in the truck.
They sell a lot on credit and have stuff they have taken back. I would buy stuff like that for a substantial discount.
The really are the best tools. In some cases, others are close but they can make the difference in tight quarters and hard to remove fasteners.

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get yourself the impact ones with the ball joint.
Like in this link, not advocating for HB, it was just the first one which popped up.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...9IuPBERoC8-gQAvD_BwE

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flex sockets are better than a swivel adapter. A lot of guys use electrical tape or shrink wrap on the flex joint, largely because the socket tends to flop sometimes, and is harder to align.

Craftsman made some decent flex sockets, but quit making them; snap-ons are my choice. Though hard to find, 12 point flex sockets work best for me, especially on certain applications like turbine engines, due to fastener type and also due to more choices in the way the socket fits over the fastener without having to jocky the extension to get the socket turned to fit over the flats on the fastener.

If I have a choice other than a flex socket, I'll take that choice; the flex socket is the least stable and the least tolerant, especially under a load. Wobble sockets or wobble extensions, for smaller angles are better, and I prefer a torque adapter over a flex socket, if I don't have to turn the fastener very much.

I've bought a lot of tools off ebay. I'm reluctant to pay full price for tools on a truck when I can get them for less elsewhere, and they'll still be warrantied.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For production line tools running hundreds (or thousands) of hits per day we might use Apex wobble sockets for difficult to reach joints. Problem is applied torque drops the more angle you move from straight on. 10 degrees starts to lose applied torque and 15 is about as far as you can go without significant losses. So you have to apply more torque to the tool to get the amount you want in the joint.

Snap On makes good shop tools, but in a production environment their sockets break after a couple thousand hits. Apex lasts a LONG time, and they are made from chrome vanadium steel. Koken is another production grade brand (Japanese).

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I have some Snap On brand swivels that are 30-35 years old and they are just as good as the day I got them.

When I was in high school I worked in a garage. Bought some stuff off the Snap On truck. With the way inflation has gone, wish I bought a lot more.

Tom Hulse, the Snap On distributor in the Ventura / Santa Paula area, had a bumper stick overhead at the top of the stairs when you walked on the truck. It read, "When you buy the best you only cry once." My boss' rejoinder to that was, "Until you get robbed."

Snap On does make wonderful tools though, they just flat feel right in your hands.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
This has saved my bacon many times.

Wrap a spring around the U-joint.
Above is a 1/4 inch with a spring from a transmission valve body. C4 I think.

Use proper ball wobblers for impact drivers. I wore out 3-4 Snap-on wobblers on castiron hemis and trans, and C4 and C6 trannys. Snap-on service is great to keep them going.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6317 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uppster
posted Hide Post
Brilliant. Thanks

God,Guns,Cars,& 1Wife, I would say I have it all.

Posts: 1448 | Location: Independence MO | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A one-piece swivel socket, if properly designed, is more compact than a regular socket on top of a universal. This enables it to get into tighter spaces, which, after all, is the whole point. If swivel sockets are to be used with an impact gun, they need to be impact-rated. With transmissions, nearly all of the bellhousing bolts need a swivel socket for access.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
About 95% of the time it's a swivel socket that I'm using.
Also have universal swivels 1/4" - 3/4" drive.

Matco has the best ones, I wear them out before they break.
I have two left, Matco stopped showing up so now have a set from Cornwell, Mac and Snap-On.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Sooooo, why aren't all swivel sockets made like impact type ball type swivel joints, which I'm guessing based on the information provided in this thread so far, are more stable than regular joe swivel sockets.

And.. if that is true (being more stable), what is the problem of using only impact ball swivel sockets in place of any and all regular swivel sockets ? If those guys don't flop around as much with increasing angles and torque, would it not be smart to just buy and use those exclusively for regular hand ratcheting ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8690 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
I wrap the universal sockets and regular universals with a couple turns of electrical tape. Works great.

Same. Learned that trick from my mechanic neighbor when I was a kid.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post