SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cord Cutters thread of information
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cord Cutters thread of information Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Most streaming services have AMC/TWD. I watch TWD on Vue.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.techhive.com/artic...na-should-i-buy.html

How to choose a TV antenna. I tried the app and it works!

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dumped cable at the end of 2012. Currently have Netflix and Amazon for streaming. I use an Apple TV so if there is a show/movie I can't wait for, I just get it off iTunes. I get 150/15 internet from the cable company. $76/month. Also an indoor OTA antenna that can usually pull the Boston networks but for some reason not the local ABC affiliate. This was the case even as a kid when my parents had a big roof antenna so it's something with the area.

Posts: 2190 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kg5388:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Check out the PSVUE tv, they blow sling away and have packages starting at $30 per month (all in). Up to 5 devices, free DVR. I hear the DTV streaming TV is good too. I have the $55 per month and it includes ALL channels Comcast had in HD, $75 gets you all channels and HBO and Showtime. Can also purchase the NFL ticket for it for like $35.

Only problem with ps vue is you can only watch it at your home location. We use the roku boxes and I have sling, Netflix and Amazon prime. I can watch at home or my camper at the river. My kids across 3 states also watch them on my accounts and they only pay for their internet. We saved between 4 households over $600 a month.

PS Vue can be watched at multiple locations, I have PS vue at locations in three states same account! MG

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
quote:
Originally posted by kg5388:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Check out the PSVUE tv, they blow sling away and have packages starting at $30 per month (all in). Up to 5 devices, free DVR. I hear the DTV streaming TV is good too. I have the $55 per month and it includes ALL channels Comcast had in HD, $75 gets you all channels and HBO and Showtime. Can also purchase the NFL ticket for it for like $35.

Only problem with ps vue is you can only watch it at your home location. We use the roku boxes and I have sling, Netflix and Amazon prime. I can watch at home or my camper at the river. My kids across 3 states also watch them on my accounts and they only pay for their internet. We saved between 4 households over $600 a month.

PS Vue can be watched at multiple locations, I have PS vue at locations in three states same account! MG

Must have changed then because I got it when I cut the cord and would only let me watch it on the house network and away from home I could only use the phone and iPad that I also used at the house

I will have to loook back into it then.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If I were to cut the cord I'd still like to have a DVR capability. Anybody have DVR through these streaming services? How does it work?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Besides a set of rabbit ears how do I get local ABC,CBS, NBC, Fox channels? I have Apple TV

Also will a internet only cable package be ok to watch channels on Apple TV?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ThankGod4Sig,

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I’m turning into a big Roku fan as well. I have the Ultra model as well as
Apple TV boxes. The two kinda overlap where one has a gap.

what gaps have you found?

To be honest, I haven’t found a “gap”...but I know there are some. I kind of went overboard getting Apple TV AND a Roku, but i like variety.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
Besides a set of rabbit ears how do I get local ABC,CBS, NBC, Fox channels? I have Apple TV

Also will a internet only cable package be ok to watch channels on Apple TV?

I'm not familiar with Apple TV, but I have a LG TV and brought a ClearStream 2V HDTV Antenna with Mount on Amazon. I get over 42 digital broadcast channels. Cost me about $70.00. I've got it mounted in my attic and I'm about 30-40 miles from stations. Total installation time including cutting/mounting a solid plywood base for it and climbing up into the attic was about 40 minutes.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Ok let me ask here to see if I can get a straight answer,

If I go to a internet only plan with cable. Can I still log into my account on the apps on Apple TV and watch shows?

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
If I were to cut the cord I'd still like to have a DVR capability. Anybody have DVR through these streaming services? How does it work?

SlingTV and PSVue have a "Cloud DVR." Sling's is an extra $5/month. Even if you don't have the Cloud DVR, on Sling you can pause/rewind/ff on some channels. I've read that PSVue Cloud DVR doesn't cost extra. From what I can tell, these Cloud DVRs are not yet as functional and polished as a traditional DVR.

I'm testing DirectTV Now currently, but I see no on-demand, nor have I found anything I can pause, rewind, ff on yet.

I use a tiny Windows PC and a Silicon Dust HD Homerun to DVR OTA stuff, and it works reasonably well for that. One nice thing about having a PC (and wireless keyboard) is that I can easily go to network websites and watch shows on demand, if I failed to DVR them.

From my understanding, cutting the cord is still a trade-off between saving money and losing some features. If it's critical for you to be able watch and DVR, pause, rewind etc. both broadcast and "cable" channels, you probably won't be happy cutting the cord.

The TiVo Roamio and TiVo Bolt might be a good/great solution for apps and DVR, if it will DVR stuff from a streaming service.

--------------------------
quote:

I don't much of anything about Apple TV. Can you install apps on it? The DirectTV Now app offers all of the major local channels. SlingTV offers a couple. I can't say what of those channels you can get on PSVue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rusbro,

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Then I got a little box called a Dust HD HomeRun. Basically you plug your over the air antenna into this box and then plug your box into your wireless router and it sends your over the air stuff to the Channels app on your ATV.

How's the tuner performance in that SiliconDust HD box?

We have a ChannelMaster DVR+ for recording OTA TV. It works well, but I'm looking for a better solution.

I'm guessing I could access the SD HD HomeRun box from Roku devices?

I'm thinking split the main antenna between the main TV and the SD HD HR box, then stream to the three other TVs in the house. The one in the computer room and (impending) man cave would be wired, but the one in the living room would be wireless (5GHz).

Any insights into SD's DVR functionality, how that works, what's required for a storage devices, etc.?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:

Vue has a DVR, it works well, but it won't record live sports. They are working on acquiring the rights to do that in the future.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I go to a internet only plan with cable. Can I still log into my account on the apps on Apple TV and watch shows?

I don't think so. I can use those apps as a Vue subscriber though.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Then I got a little box called a Dust HD HomeRun. Basically you plug your over the air antenna into this box and then plug your box into your wireless router and it sends your over the air stuff to the Channels app on your ATV.

How's the tuner performance in that SiliconDust HD box?

We have a ChannelMaster DVR+ for recording OTA TV. It works well, but I'm looking for a better solution.

I'm guessing I could access the SD HD HomeRun box from Roku devices?

I'm thinking split the main antenna between the main TV and the SD HD HR box, then stream to the three other TVs in the house. The one in the computer room and (impending) man cave would be wired, but the one in the living room would be wireless (5GHz).

Any insights into SD's DVR functionality, how that works, what's required for a storage devices, etc.?

I don't have any DVR on my SD HomeRun. I need to look into that actually. I only use ATV, so I'm not sure about Roku, but I'd think your assumption is right.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

I connect my SD HDHomerun to a Beebox (Windows) HTPC and use the HDHomerun application, which can be used to watch live TV, and to DVR. The DVR isn't as good as what you'd get from a cable/dish company, but it's acceptable to me. The remote that came with the HTPC wasn't satisfactory. I tried an app on my iPhone that allows it to work as a remote mouse with some keyboard commands, but didn't like it much, so I just use a wireless keyboard with built-in touchpad. The extent of my OTA viewing is at the most about 3 DVR'd shows a week, so it's not a big deal.

Next time I need to replace or upgrade a device I'm going to take a close look at TiVo as a possible solution for both DVR and streaming apps.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why would you want to DVR something that is on-demand via STREAMING anytime you want it? That's the whole point of streaming.

If you wanted to set up a DVR to record TV you bring in with an HD OTA antenna, you can get a Tivo Bolt that will do just that.

Tivo Bolt

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sure you can, at least if I’m understanding your question. I have an Apple TV and NO cable tv, just internet. I can do everything with it that I did when I had cable tv as well.

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
BTW guys, the TiVo Bolt is a pretty sweet unit. It gives you recording capability (which I’m still learning) as well as direct access to HULU, Netflix, etc. I’ve used TiVo for about 3 yrs and upgraded to the Bolt a couple of months ago. No problems so far

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Why would you want to DVR something that is on-demand via STREAMING anytime you want it? That's the whole point of streaming.
Actually, for two reasons. One, not everything is On Demand so recording something still comes into play every once in a while. And two (and most important for me), is the ability while watching say a baseball game, to roll back an inning or so to show my son a play, and then roll right back to live to continue watching. This is the feature I use most with my current cable company DVR, and would really miss if I no longer had it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post