SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird (or not so weird) issue with 2007 Tundra
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird (or not so weird) issue with 2007 Tundra Login/Join 
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted
Loaded up the snowblower to blow out the in-laws yesterday; left the Tundra idling about an hour and a half; loaded up blower to go blow out the business; truck idled about another hour and a half. Got back in; noted the nav screen/multipurpose screen was flickering. Turned off the truck to “reset/reboot” but when I turned the key, the truck (presumably) battery was dead.

Had to jump to get it going; drove home and fan speed would drop with engine speed when stopping at intersections; speedometer needle jumped around while driving; nav screen would flicker and turn off and on; battery gauge down around 9 volts. Got home and put on trickle charger overnight; haven’t yet checked this morning.

Is this a bad battery? Bad alternator? Something different? Not to cold out-in the 20s. Battery not quite 4 years old.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Start it and let it warm up. With the engine running, pull a battery cable off. If it stays running, alternator is good.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a bad cell. Usually they go to resistive state but in some case will short out.
Get a voltmeter and test from one cell to the other cell to find the bad cell.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Replace the battery.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It’s possible there’s something wrong with the battery and/or the alternator and it won’t charge the battery while idling. Letting it idle for 3 hours, all the electronics that were running plus the engine itself drained the battery. I’d check both the battery and alternator as well as your idle speed.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
It won’t charge the battery while idling. Since you let it idle for 3 hours, all the electronics that were running plus the engine itself drained the battery.

This. At idle, the alternator can’t keep up with charging especially if peripherals are on (blower motor, radio, etc). It could be that it is a combination of bad battery and drain from extended idle.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Start it and let it warm up. With the engine running, pull a battery cable off. If it stays running, alternator is good.

This test may have applied to cars with generators in the 1950s, really dumb on a modern car. Without the battery in system, the alternator voltage can spike blowing electronics. MAINTAIN BATTERY CONNECTIONS AT ALL TIMES WITH ENGINE RUNNING!!!!!!!!!! Don't even momentarily disconnect as with a battery switch on a boat! If switching between banks of batteries, don't go past a disconnected position!

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Start it and let it warm up. With the engine running, pull a battery cable off.
Absolutely not! This is a prescription for frying vehicle electronics and even the alternator, itself.

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
It won’t charge the battery while idling.
Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on a lot of variables, incl. alternator ratings and what's running in the vehicle.

bcereuss, sounds like you may have a bad alternator. Take the vehicle to a reputable car battery place or garage and have it tested.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
OK..sorry about that. I did this to my Sienna without issue. Wont again. My battery was a 84 month in its 8th year.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
That is a lot of idling, broken up by periods of driving which should top up the charge. Normal load at idling would likely be handled by the charging system, I'll assume heater blower was on high, which could have drawn more than the alternator puts out at idle. Maybe you shucked your belt, or the alternator is bad. I'd charge the battery, see if it starts and runs under more normal conditions.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Sounds more like a problem with the computer than the battery, have you tried rebooting the computer? Cool

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I think you're on the right track of battery or alternator, but don't have enough information yet.

If the battery takes and keeps a charge with your trickle charger (and that might take more than 24 hours if it was really low), then I'd be looking at the alternator.

If it doesn't take a charge after 24 hours, then a new battery is in order (that still doesn't rule out an underperforming alternator though).

Do you have an O'Riellys near you? I believe they should be able to test the battery and alternator without removing them from the vehicle and they'll do it for free.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the alternator wasn't bad before, it will be when you're done. It might well go up in smoke. Don't do that.

As for the OP's problem, check in this order: connections, battery, alternator.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a NOCO genius 10 if you don't have one. Charge the battery until it indicates green-full. Set it to the repair cycle (easy to do) lasts about 4 hours. These are NOCO's directions. About 100 bucks, maybe less if you find a sale. Doing this helped all my batteries.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Replace the battery.

This would be my bet.
Wife’s battery croaked in the 2019 4Runner. After jump start, electronics were going nuts. No cruise control, dash warning lights up the wazoo.
New battery and all was right in the world again.

My Tundra battery is going to be replaced soon. I don’t want to be out in the sticks stranded.

ETA: As egregore noted, the connections can mimic this too.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
I checked the tender (Noco) and the battery does now (after overnight) indicate green (full). Didn't do the repair cycle; I'll see how it runs hopefully tonight or tomorrow. I'm thinking since the battery is four years old, that could be...but it might be the original alternator-so that is a real possibility.

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post