SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flying w/ Firearm (Edit- One New Question down page)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying w/ Firearm (Edit- One New Question down page) Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted
I just found out my buddy was involved in a motorcycle accident and he's going to be fine. He does have broken wrists and will probably be flying home to MI from NC after a few days.
I've read posts on firearms and travel here but did not take notes and would like to help him out but at this point, all I can do is give him some advice on getting his firearm home.

His pistol does not have the case at his location, a friends house.

Any ideas on best way to proceed as what limited knowledge I have, he's going to need a case at minimum? Then declare it at the airport?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dsiets,

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lockable TSA approved case, declare at the airport, unloaded with no ammo in box.

Most important, check the airlines website on requirements for transportation of firearms in checked baggage. They all have the details listed.

I've done it a lot, never had an issue.

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Would it be easier to ship it? To himself? Or does it have to go to an FFL across state lines?

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xanth:
Lockable TSA approved case, declare at the airport, unloaded with no ammo in box.

Most important, check the airlines website on requirements for transportation of firearms in checked baggage. They all have the details listed.

I've done it a lot, never had an issue.

Actually, ammo in the same locked container as the firearm(s) is fine as long as the ammo is packed according to the regs.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/tra...earms-and-ammunition

quote:
Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.

I got direct, practical confirmation of this not long ago. I flew with several firearms and a bunch of ammo split between several locked cases, each of which was stuck inside a suitcase with other stuff in it. For whatever reason, one of the locked cases wouldn't X-ray clearly, so I got called to go talk to the TSA.

The very professional TSA agent who had already cleared the other two firearm cases had me open the case (which had both an unloaded pistol and boxed ammunition in it) and he confirmed everything was fine, I closed it and locked it and it went on its way.

I asked him specifically if I had packed everything in the three cases correctly and whether there was anything I should do differently in the future and the guy said everything was great.

One note, I actually got a call on my cell phone to go talk to the TSA - because I had my name and phone number on a card inside every suitcase that had a firearm in it. If my phone number hadn't been there, I imagine they would have paged me over the airport PA system, but after that, I would definitely recommend having your phone number in your suitcase if you're flying with anything there might remotely be any questions about. A lot of luggage tags only have name and address.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
He can ship the gun to himself thru UPS or FedEx (but only at a hub). No ammo though.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:

Would it be easier to ship it? To himself? Or does it have to go to an FFL across state lines?
No, you do not need an FFL to ship it to yourself.

However, it's probably a LOT cheaper to just go to a gun store (or even Harbor Freight) and buy a lockable box and a padlock, and put it in your checked luggage. Unloaded, of course, and it needs to be declared at the check-in counter.

When my step-son visited from Ohio, I told him how to do it. Easy-peasy. I printed two sets of instructions for him, one set of government instructions, and the other was the specific airline policy. I did caution him about the wording at the check-in counter, "I would like to declare an unloaded firearm" is preferable to "I have a gun in my checked bag." Smile

He laughed. He was a prosecutor in the district attorney's office.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Thanks V-tail. Like I told my nephews, if someone has chapped lips at the airport, don't shout out "I have a balm!" Big Grin

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
The gun needs to be unloaded and stored in a hard sided lockable case. I have a case like This for the firearm.

The ammo can be transported in original ammo box or in gun magazines as long as the primer is covered. I have placed the loaded magazines into magazine carriers and then put them inside a pouch and had no problems. That way the primer of last round is covered.

Put everything in checked luggage and declare the firearm.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have to change aircraft in a non-friendly state such as New York, be careful. A cancelled flight requiring one to retrieve the baggage and overnight, has turned costly in the past for those who are then in possession of a firearm in a place where they can't. It doesn't seem to be a big problem in a checked bag, until it is. Consider where you're going and if you're changing aircraft, where the luggage may end up if plans change.

With airlines cancelling thousands of flights in a day, the possiblity of being stranded, delayed, re-routed, or being separated from baggage or overnighting where you didn't plan, should be considered. Picking up your bag and going to the hotel, not as big a deal as checking in the next day to declare a firearm in a place where you're not supposed to have the firearm. It's resulted in trouble for travelers before.

If one's itinerary is such that this is a possibility, consider shipping the firearm.

Consider too, that luggage can, and does go some place you're not.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I like using FedEx or UPS to ship my package from myself to myself. When flying to another state to hunt with one of my sons I can send the package in care of my son at his address with adult signature. That has worked very well a couple of times, and no possible misunderstandings at airports.

For all purposes of federal firearms law there is no transfer involved, so no FFL needs to be involved.

Long guns (rifles and shotguns) can go via ground delivery, usually a few days transit time. Handguns must generally go "next day air" service, which costs more but is generally very secure.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Roughly where in NC?

You’ve got answers already, but if local I can help if possible. I’m sure he’s got plenty to worry about as-is.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chongo, I asked initially as my sister is in NC but all I got was, "at a friend's". I'm thinking w/ the broken wrists he's not typing/texting much and he's probably really feeling it today.

Thanks all. I'll pass the info along so he can think about it for a few days.

Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
If you have to change aircraft in a non-friendly state such as New York, be careful. A cancelled flight requiring one to retrieve the baggage and overnight, has turned costly in the past for those who are then in possession of a firearm in a place where they can't. It doesn't seem to be a big problem in a checked bag, until it is. Consider where you're going and if you're changing aircraft, where the luggage may end up if plans change.

With airlines cancelling thousands of flights in a day, the possiblity of being stranded, delayed, re-routed, or being separated from baggage or overnighting where you didn't plan, should be considered. Picking up your bag and going to the hotel, not as big a deal as checking in the next day to declare a firearm in a place where you're not supposed to have the firearm. It's resulted in trouble for travelers before.

If one's itinerary is such that this is a possibility, consider shipping the firearm.

Consider too, that luggage can, and does go some place you're not.

Really important. If for any reason you go through Newark (EWR), JFK, or LaGuardia (LGA) never reclaim your firearm no matter how many times the airline pages you. It's a checked bag, let them get it to it's original ticketed destination.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
And, as for shipping it to yourself "in care of" a relative or friend, consider the state laws in the destination jurisdiction. Those states that have passed so-called "universal background checks" may require than you reclaim your property via an FFL on the theory that a transfer is being made from your "agent" to you. I haven't heard of a case being brought on this basis, but who wants to be the first?

Posts: 6451 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
It sounds like he's going to check it at the airport.
He asks: " So my understanding is that as long as I have the gun in a locked, hard sided case, i can then put it inside a soft sided suitcase? "

I imagine his concern is about zippers being penetrable even though it can be locked.

Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
It sounds like he's going to check it at the airport.
He asks: " So my understanding is that as long as I have the gun in a locked, hard sided case, i can then put it inside a soft sided suitcase? "

I imagine his concern is about zippers being penetrable even though it can be locked.

Yes that's fine. As long as he uses a lockable hard side case with either combo or keyed padlocks, unloaded, ammo weight within the limits of both DOT and the particular airline posted limit, do not use the crappy TSA type locks, fill out the forms at checkin. Get there plenty early. Hang out near checkin for a few minutes in case he gets called by TSA to open the case. And do not take ANY firearm related accessories through security. Checked baggage only.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
do not take ANY firearm related accessories through security.
Is empty holster OK in a carry-on bag, with handgun in checked luggage?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I use a small Pelican case, locked and also use a cable lock to secure case to suitcase

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I use a small Pelican case, locked and also use a cable lock to secure case to suitcase

W/ the miscreants that might be working baggage, that sounds like a good idea. My understanding is that you don't have to lock your outer luggage but do most people put a lock on that too anyway?