SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    McDonald's next automation step
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

McDonald's next automation step Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://hotair.com/archives/ja...st-no-workers-guess/

The fast-food giant is planning to roll out a new “format” for its stores in select locations. The major change is that there will be no tables or seating inside the restaurant. Known as “McDonald’s to Go,” all orders are for takeout only.

All ordering is done using a kiosk

there are no tables, chairs, or decor. The menu is also stripped down to the chain’s staple items

You can only pay with plastic… no cash option is provided. The kiosk prints your receipt with your order number and you go to a counter and wait for your number to come up.

there are still humans in the back, cooking the food and loading the orders into bags. But as soon as the price comes down on Flippy the hamburger robot, they’ll probably be on the way out as well.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

historical note: when McDonalds first started, there were no tables or chairs. The concept was to get people in and out quickly.

The menu only had few items such as hamburger, cheeseburger, fries. There were silver trays that were kept loaded up. The idea was very fast service.

McDonalds also thought the main business would be away from the inner cities. They concentrated on suburbs.

A lot changed over the years.

Ray Kroc started McDonalds when he was 52. He was a milkshake machine salesman. When he visited the McDonald brothers hamburger fast food place in 1954, he saw the possibilities. Kroc joined w the McDonald brothers and later bought them out.

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
This doesn't surprise me and I think it's a good business decision. People going there are there for a quick in and out snack....not to engage with the person behind the counter.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My wife and I stopped at McDs for lunch today after our range trip.

Walked in and saw several people waiting in line to use the ordering kiosk thingy...
we walked up to the cashier and the guy took our order and we were out in under 5 minutes.

Works for me...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
The ordering kiosks slow down the whole process. Try ordering multiple, but varied, happy meals. Takes days.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Back to their roots

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
So, how's that $15/hr working out for y'all?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
all those $15/hr hamburger flippers will be headed to a job fair soon.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will have to train the customers to use the kiosk. That will not be easy with some folks. There are still people that struggle with vending machines.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We saw a Chick-fil-a like this in the LA area (Simi Valley, IIRC) a couple years ago.

Ordering was outside at a walk up window (also had a drive-thru). No inside seating, just a couple chairs outside on a patio.

Was raining, so we decided to not eat there that day.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
You will have to train the customers to use the kiosk. That will not be easy with some folks. There are still people that struggle with vending machines.

i fix vending machines i have found folded up dollar bills in the coin slot Roll Eyes

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t eat in my car and I don’t eat outside.
Reducing costs by (presumably) slightly reducing staff versus reducing the number of customers.
It will be interesting to see how that works for them in the long run.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should've been doing this a long time ago. Go to certain urban business districts or, airports, this is already done.

While McDonald's has openly acknowledged that they aren't in the food business but, instead the real estate business, the habits and options for food has changed. Sticking to their model of speed and efficiency, order-counter only locations, will be the future for 'fast-food'. They can dramatically reduce their overhead while keeping the equal number of locations thus, maintaining regional/area market share. You want a sit-down, nice place, go to an actual restaurant.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Falmouth, KY has the best McDonalds I've ever been to. Staffed by all older folks, clean, clean workers, prompt service and the foods are prepared correctly. All the others I've been to in northern Kentucky should just be shut down by the Health Dept. It is the night crews who make them SUCK. Wendys have like workers on nights. Tiny town of Falmouth could show them all what a real McDonalds is.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The local McDonald’s has a kiosk for ordering but I never use it. To get my veteran discount I have to have place my order with an employee.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'll have to go to Chick-fil-A more often. Who knew?

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
At times, the drive through at Richwood, KY McDonalds will have 2 lines of vehicles and it could take over a half hour to get to the window. I get out, walk inside to find not 1 patron at the counter. Pretty telling.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
A business model that will prove appropriate for some areas, and not others. It will be trial and error that sorts it out.

The one time I’ve wandered into the one locally to let my son play on the indoor jungle gym while it was pouring rain, I figured the correct thing to do was to at least order some nuggets so we were paying customers. I went to the touch screen kiosk and simply couldn’t find them as an option after actually waiting in line to use one. I gave up, walked up to the counter and said “ten piece nuggets.” And that was pretty much that. I got my stuff before the guy ahead of me in the kiosk line was done fiddling with the screen.

The technology isn’t really an an improvement on the experience, it’s more of a hindrance unless you’re the guy that eats there five times a week and knows how to instinctively navigate their poorly laid-out kiosk menu screen. That ain’t me, and they’re going to find out how rabid their fanbase is when this is all said and done. The kiosks may well end up going the way of Ray Kroc’s powdered milkshakes.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
We saw a Chick-fil-a like this in the LA area (Simi Valley, IIRC) a couple years ago.

Ordering was outside at a walk up window (also had a drive-thru). No inside seating, just a couple chairs outside on a patio.

Was raining, so we decided to not eat there that day.

There is a Chick-fil-A like that in Washington D.C. I think it is like that due to the small footprint of the building and to cut down on armed robberies.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I like stuff like this. It's like a big 'fuck you' to the we-demand-fifteen-dollars-an-hour-for-work-that-a-trained-chimp-can-do crowd.

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Falmouth, KY has the best McDonalds I've ever been to.

As a life-long resident of Northern Kentucky, I can honestly say this is the first time I have heard that Falmouth has the best ANYTHING. I may have to take a trek down there just to see it for myself. Simply mind boggling.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post