SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have eaten all the BBQ I can find from Eastern NC to Texas, and today I found the best brisket in the world
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have eaten all the BBQ I can find from Eastern NC to Texas, and today I found the best brisket in the world Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
In Brunswick, Georgia.

Gary Lee’s Market
3636 US Hwy 82, Brunswick Georgia

Absolutely, hands down, the best brisket I’ve ever had. The ribs were mighty fine too.

I told Mr. Lee that myself.

The end.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Can't get much better than that TripAdvisor Page for Gary Lee's Market. Will have to make it a point to stop by the next time I'm through Georgia.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Ggggrrrr! I've been within an hour of there multiple times and never knew this. Add to places to visit.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up! Definitely will try the next time I'm out that way.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7085 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Gary Lee’s is great, if you’re still in the area you need to try his brothers fried chicken! Just like GL’e limited hours and not much of place to look at but it’s awesome!! And don’t forget about Southern Soul BBQ just over the causeway on St. Simons Island. Shoot me an email and I’ll meet you!

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure anyone not in, from, or trained in the ways of Texas style slow and low Brisket even know what's what. This thread is highly skeptical.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A bit of a thread drift, but my Georgia friends also highly recommend this British meat pie place in either Pooler or Savannah Georgia:

https://www.thebritishpiecompa.../pie-society-pooler/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16260 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Pooler, home of Blue Force Gear.

BTW, your subject line mentions Eastern NC BBQ. I'm not sure I'd call that stuff barbecue. Don't get me wrong, it has its place and I like it from time to time, but I grew up on Texas beef barbecue, and there's just no comparison IMO.

Posts: 107756 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with "parabellum."

Posts: 47 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You really are missing out if you don't hit Southern Soul BBQ up while you're there.

Sal's Pizza is another must hit while in Brunswick/St. Simon's Island.

Posts: 410 | Location: PA | Registered: November 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't rank BBQ; it's a pass / fail for me. Either I like them or I don't. So far, I haven't had too many that I didn't like.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pooler , Georgia . Home of The Mighty 8th Air Force Museum . Awesome .

Posts: 4071 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
12 hr 17 min (808 miles)

Where is the second best brisket?? Frown

Posts: 11399 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Visiting friends at FLETC perhaps Chongo?

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Visiting friends at FLETC perhaps Chongo?

Nahhhh, I’m a N Charleston FLETC attendee when I do go lol. I was driving back from my mom’s in Florida and picked a spot to eat.

I only mention eastern NC geographically, to indicate that I love all BBQ all over the place, and try it wherever I can find it. Texas beef BBQ is definitely not eastern NC bbq, no disagreement there.

Given my choices, great brisket trumps all. But if great beef brisket isn’t an option, pulled pork is my choice.

I’ve had great Texas beef brisket. I put this slightly above what I had at Franklin’s in Austin.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
BBQ is all subjective, what some people consider great I don't. If I was close I would try it just for comparison reasons.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

I’ve had great Texas beef brisket. I put this slightly above what I had at Franklin’s in Austin.

Lewis BBQ, there in Charleston, owned by John Lewis who helped start up Franklin's.

https://lewisbarbecue.com

For a native Texan, this is as close to Texas BBQ as you can get in South Carolina.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
It was always a favorite when I visited FLETC

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kpuscg04:
You really are missing out if you don't hit Southern Soul BBQ up while you're there.

Sal's Pizza is another must hit while in Brunswick/St. Simon's Island.

Sadly, Sal died a few weeks ago, cancer got him. The place has been owned by a local husband and wife for over a year now, still very good. They’re working hard to keep it Sal’s.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Threads like this make me cry, lol. I was stationed in Louisiana twenty years ago. I have been able to go to Houston, Atlanta and Memphis for work. Outside of those three trips, I have to settle for PNW bbq. I have only been disappointed and don’t try anymore…

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post