SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    about art, sculptures in particular
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

about art, sculptures in particular Login/Join 
posted
with today's reproduction technology,
lasers and 5 axis c.a.d. etc
if one could reproduce a new reproduction every month.
like this

would there be any intrest at all to art lovers to see the same exact thing , made out of fiberglass, plastic or bondo ?

could moe , mel and artie start a museum in Coralville , Iowa and make a living out of showing famous works?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
No. People want to see the original.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

This is my feeling.

When I went to the Louvre, part of my wonder was that sculptors centuries and millennia in the past could shape such amazing works out of stone with nothing but hand tools. Some of the sculpture looks like humans simply froze into place for all eternity.

That skill and that connection to the past and the artist is a great draw to seeing the original art.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't expect a large profitable market, but I bet there would be some interest. They make replicas of old skeletons for museums which people pay good money to go see. I think a few larger cities might generate enough customers to make it a viable idea on a limited basis.

Posts: 9727 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I suspect there could be some rather sizable royalties involved.. Someone somewhere owns the originals and would most likely not take kindly to such a venture.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
I suspect there could be some rather sizable royalties involved.. Someone somewhere owns the originals and would most likely not take kindly to such a venture.

The owner of an antiquity does not own a copyright or anything of that nature. You may copy the Venus de Milo all you like, and the Louvre can't say boo.

An modern artist (not the owner of the work) may have a copyright interest in a newish work - someone who is not more than a generation or two past, most likely.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:

Especially if Raymond's mom does it Big Grin...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/6fZSoiMKW5M

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:
You may copy the Venus de Milo all you like, no matter that the Louvre owns it.

But how would you map it without their permission?

You could make all the copies of Michelangelo's "The Deposition" – “Bandini Pieta”, but none could reproduce the exquisite minutiae of the chisel strokes.

These copies have the same artistic value as the small ceramic copies that Aunt Joanie makes in her ceramic corner at home. Roll Eyes

Just to understand where I am coming from: here is my last marble sculpture, a 9'-0" "Sacred Heart", with my incredibly cute and exceptionally brilliant Grand-kids. Smile

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I dunno. Some people paid to see wax figures like these:

Jackie Chan & Owen Wilson

Michael Caine

Lucy Liu, Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore (Charlie's Angels)

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Getting access to do an accurate 3D scan is the biggest challenge, I suspect.

But I bet plenty of people would buy them, they buy garden gnomes and ugly bird baths as it is, an inexpensive David would sell plenty, I bet

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, I drove past a mobile home that had a family of plywood sasquatch in the yard.

I can only hope that "Davids", "Pietas", and "Winged Victories", etc, take over the market before my eyes melt out of my face.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2105 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
On the other hand, if you produce an extremely accurate copy of, say, Haystacks in Provence, including the creator's original signature and style, on old canvas with old paint, and it finds its way into the world art market, you might not be universally admired for your creativity and talent....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:

The owner of an antiquity does not own a copyright or anything of that nature. You may copy the Venus de Milo all you like, and the Louvre can't say boo.

An modern artist (not the owner of the work) may have a copyright interest in a newish work - someone who is not more than a generation or two past, most likely.

Really! Well you learn something everyday here at SF.
Thanks for the info.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
redleg, that is great work! Can you tell us a little bit about your training? Thanks for posting!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39230 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very cool redleg

While in Arizona we visited 24 small towns, all over the state.
we found bathtub Mary's in 19 of the towns.

so, there is an interest in fine art.
Surley a body would pay $12.00
to see this

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post