SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog Chewing Collar Tags---Protective Coatings?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog Chewing Collar Tags---Protective Coatings? Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
My wife and I have had Scottish Terriers for years, and our current one loves to chew on her collar tags, which include her AKC Reunite tag, name/address tag, and vaccination tag. The tags don't hang down far at all, she's just very flexible.

The AKC and name/address tags are designed to be very durable, but our girl has obliterated most of the engraving in a matter of months. Do any of our members know of a clear, durable coating that dog collar tags can be dipped in that aren't toxic or otherwise harmful to the dog when chewed on?

Thanks!

Do any of our members have

Posts: 4499 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Put one of these on his collar and never worry about losing tags again. Bommerang Collar Tags

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could punch a second hole in the tags and sew them to the collar with very heavy thread - then they wouldn't hang down at all.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Are these tags metal? If so, what kind of metal? I think it would be difficult for a dog to damage a stainless steel tag by chewing on it. Most dogs dislike the “taste” of metal anyway.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
rivet the name tag to the collar. That’s how our Shepard’s collar is.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Get a collar with a flush name plate. You can get multiple plates attached to the collar if required for the additional info. Gundogsupply.com has some nice offerings.

https://www.gundogsupply.com/collars.html

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2387 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Put one of these on his collar and never worry about losing tags again. Bommerang Collar Tags

That's what all of my dogs use. No chewing, no getting caught/hung on things, and no constant "tinkle clang clank" as they run around the house.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

That's what all of my dogs use. No chewing, no getting caught/hung on things, and no constant "tinkle clang clank" as they run around the house.
And, as I forgot to mention above, you can simply move it to another collar if and/or when you want without any real fanfare.

Only once did I have a problem with one of these tags because one of my previous hounds would lay on the patio concrete and he eventually ground down the engraving to a point it was no longer legible. When I called Boomerang to order another tag, they offered it to me for free. Great people to work with. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everybody—-great suggestios!

Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thats what we have used for over 10 years. As mentioned, great company. One of our dogs used to like to actually chew her collar off. Same for us, we called for a replacement after a collar was lost and they sent us one free.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ Boomerang is the ticket.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the leads, everyone.

I made some additional searches on my own as well, and happened to find a company that appears to make an excellent product:

https://www.roadid.com/

They make ID tags for pets and people. Ordering was easy, and the price is excellent.

I ordered two tags (one for our dog’s name/address/phone/vet info, and the other with her AKC Reunite ID number and info).