SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I found this tool in a box of grandpa's stuff
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I found this tool in a box of grandpa's stuff Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I found an old cigar box that was my grandpas with some nice chisels (still sharp) and a few hex wrenches and this item that I don't know it's purpose.

Does anyone know what it is? A clamp? A mini-vise? What would I use it for?

Posts: 45401 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
It's a hand vise for holding small parts for cutting ,filing, grinding etc.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It's obviously to clamp or hold something from moving, and not very tightly, since only a wingnut is used to tighten it. But what, I haven't the foggiest.

Posts: 28013 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
It's an old hand vise. Think pre-"Vise-Grips"

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
It's a tooth extractor for buck teeth. Wink

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
"Proto-Vise-Grip"

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
It's what you catch a tiger by the toe with.

God bless America.

Posts: 13525 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
It’s a vise to hold grandkids mouths open so the Brussels Sprouts can be inserted. Razz

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It's a hand vise. Also known as a Gunmaker's or Rifleman's Vise. Grandpa a gunsmith? (That could be worth a few coins as an antique btw. As high as $100?)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16396 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Looks like a pre-60’s roach clip.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Sometimes known as a jeweler's vise, I think.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Ah, thanks! Makes sense.

Posts: 45401 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
small tire bead breaker?

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Looks like a pre-60’s roach clip.

LMFAO!!!!
Pot Head lol oh the good ole days

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Nose hair puller.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It’s a plumbus holder.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15628 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I've seen them from time to time at antique shows, and are usually called a "pin vice".

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kent j:

If you are working with a sharp tool, much better to hold the part with a hand vice rather than with the hand. Ask me how I know (8 stitches if I remember, but that is not as bad as the look I got from my wife Smile ).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by kent j:

If you are working with a sharp tool, much better to hold the part with a hand vice rather than with the hand. Ask me how I know (8 stitches if I remember, but that is not as bad as the look I got from my wife Smile ).
Ah, that would explain why it was in the box with the chisels.

posted Hide Post
industrial chip clip

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post