SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PC Software issues - a little assistance please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PC Software issues - a little assistance please Login/Join 
posted
Several months ago I upgraded to Win 10 but then found out one the software of the companies I work with is not compatible.
I did a complete backup then reinstalled Windows 7 Premium Home.
I had to also reinstall Office 2010. Now, when I try to view pdf's and other docs, a window pops up asking what program I want to use to view it, then another window opens regarding encoding.
None of this happened previously. Did something not load properly?
I want to use Word to open the docs but have no idea how to set the encoding.
Please help. Thanks.

Posts: 231 | Location: FLORIDA | Registered: November 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
PDFs do not open with word.

Did you reinstall Acrobat Reader?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
By default, .pdf files are set to open with Adobe Acrobat or, more commonly, Acrobat Reader. File Associations control this. Go into the Control Panel, choose 'Default Programs', then select 'Associate a file type or protocol with a program', then see what program .pdf files are set to open with. If need be, install Acrobat Reader, which is freeware from Adobe.

Encoding will take care of itself when you're opening the files in their native program.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted to say thanks for the info...as always, SF is THE go to for help with any number of subjects.

Unfortunately, Adobe Reader doesn't seem to be loading properly or completely.

I tried both XI and DC versions and when I click on a pdf, a status bar shows that it's opening the doc, but the doc doesn't open and it just sits there doing nothing.

I've reinstalled both versions several times without any luck. UGH! Hate computer problems.

Posts: 231 | Location: FLORIDA | Registered: November 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you use chrome as a browser, it will open .pdf.
Adobe Reader is a bitch.

you say 'other docs' - that would be more in-depth

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
In Win10, they seem to open in Edge without PDF viewer software installed. In Win7 and below, you need to instal Adobe Reader.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post