SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Maui questions...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maui questions... Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted
We are going to be staying in the Grand Wailea on Maui Jan 24th- Feb3rd. My wife has a conference for about 5 days while we are there. The other days we would like to take in some snorkeling, a Luau and other fun activities. Any recommendations on specific places or vendors to go/use? Also, what restaurants would you recommend? We like most anything and will do a combo of casual and fine dining. We do have a 21 month old traveling with us. Thanks for any tips!

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3643 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Maui is looking for his hook.

You're welcome. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The Old Lahaina Luau is good, probably better than anything you'd get on Oahu.

Maui Nō Ka ʻOi!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16363 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Old Lahaina Luau is the luau to go to if you're looking for authentic, but you had better give them a call ASAP, as they tend to book weeks (or months) in advance. Well worth it, though. Get yourself on a waiting list (if you have to) today.

Speaking of Lahaina, drive up there anyway. It's a very nice town to spend a day shopping/dining in. Our favorite place to stay on Maui, in fact. Grab a burger at the Cool Cat Cafe. Unbelievably good.

If you want a relatively quiet beach for snorkeling (and lots of turtles), you're already there. The beaches in the Wailea and Makena areas are our favorites.

And you can't not drive the road to Hana. It's a full day adventure, to be sure, depending on how many stops you make and how long you take. Buy a guide (or a couple of them) in advance and do a little planning for that part. If you've rented a vehicle with decent ground clearance, finish the loop around the south end of Maui instead of back-tracking. It's a beautiful (if unpaved in parts) coastline. I understand it's much better than it used to be (when all of the rental agencies prohibited taking their vehicles on the southernmost stretch), but we did it in a Nissan Rogue in October and had zero difficulty.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Mama’s fish house for fine dining.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3487 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Maui Nō Ka ʻOi!

+1000!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29710 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Right near where you are staying is Molokini Island. Go snuba diving there. Go whale watching. I believe you can visit the Dole factory there as well. Fresh pineapple!

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3868 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
We did the helicopter ride to the waterfall. The one used in the opening scene of Jurasic Park.

Whale watching and a submarine trip in the coral reefs. Submerged to 150ft.
Bus ride to the top of Haliakala volcano. There is a NASA station up there for astronaut training. At least there was.

Grand Wailea is a beautiful resort. 7 pools all attached via water slide. Hot tubs everywhere. The food there was outstanding.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8534 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

This.

Skip the road to Hana. Ain't nothin' there.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I went to Maui in 2008 and 2012. Pictures are here:
2008: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157608493706386/ and https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157608502187153/ (excursion of Road to Hana)

2012: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157631617161378/ and https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157631617680457/.

I didn't do a lot in 2012, I admit. The 2008 tour was a lot more interesting. I travel alone and renting a car doesn't work real well for me because I can't both drive and take pictures at the same time. I tend to hire excursions. I enjoyed the ride of the Road to Hana--YMMV.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Grand Wailea on Maui

Great Hotel - was there back in 2009. Loved every minute of it.

The road to Hana was ok, but overall not worth the time.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seared Ahi at Roys
Snorkle Molokini Crater
Helicopter in Haleakala Crater
Bicycle Ride down Haleakala

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a copy of Maui Revealed and start reading.
We lived there for over 6 years.
This time of the year a whale watch is NOT to be missed. The whales look like they are having a great time, and so will you.
Don't miss the Maui Ocean Center in Ma'alaea. Fabulous aquarium of all things aquatic in the area.
For relatively inexpensive but very good food, highly recommend our friends at Coconut's Fish Cafe. We like the old location next to Peggy Sue's.
Snorkeling is fine in Wailea but our favorite snorkeling spot is Kapalua, above Lahaina on the west side.
If you like Hawaiian music, especially slack-key guitar, do not miss George Kahumoku's slack-key concerts on Wednesdays at Napili Kai. About 45 minutes or so from Wailea. Check slackkeyshow.com for the artists--looks like either of the shows, on 1/24 or 1/31, should be good. Tell George Dr. Stan sent you. nhtagmember and P210 enjoyed it.
If you're a churchgoer there are multiple opportunities Sunday mornings. We were part of the congregation at Kihei Baptist Chapel.
My e-mail is in my profile.

Posts: 18074 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabibill:
Seared Ahi at Roys
Snorkle Molokini Crater
Helicopter in Haleakala Crater
Bicycle Ride down Haleakala

I second the first three. I'd take a pass on the bike ride if you've got a toddler. There are tons of beaches where the snorkeling is beyond magnificent. Google it or pick up a map at almost any store. Put plenty of sunscreen on the family. It doesn't get really hot temperature wise so you won't realize your getting burned until it's too late. A sunburn can really screw up a nice vacation.

Posts: 7561 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
We do have a 21 month old traveling with us.

In that case, the road to Hana would suck big time.

I hadn't seen that you had 21 month old. There is the Maui tropical plantation thing with a tractor tour which is cool for kids. There's also some sugar train if my memory serves me correctly.

but for a 21 month old, I would say the Iao Valley State Park is a must do. It's close to the tropical plantation and can be done in the same morning.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
You could stop by and say 'HI' to my son, Chris, at Schauss Glass Blowing Schauss Glassblowing, 810 Haiku Road Haiku.

They have some pretty nice work for sale.

Some of their work

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are gonna be close to Keawakapu beach. Has public access, great area for swimming, morning and evening strolls. If you want to whale watch, snorkel, or go on a dinner cruise out of Lahaina, make some calls now. It's the High season, things fill up fast.
Restaurants- Coconuts is definitely not to be missed. 2 locations in Kihei. Another spot to eat and chill- "What Ale's You"- look it up on youtube. In the up country, Kula Lodge. Great views up there.

Posts: 3597 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Check out the Star Noodle Company in Lahina. Especially the pork buns!!!

http://www.starnoodle.com/

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10203 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Head north of Kahana to a small restaurant on the water called Merrimans.

Fantastic atmosphere and food. Reserve for about 30 mins before sunset - beautiful.

If you are going to spend $ on a helicopter ride - don't waste it on a cloud filled crater. Head over to West Maui and Molokai.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Merriman's is one of the original "Pacific Rim Cuisine" chefs who started the "go local" movement along with notable chefs Roy Yamaguchi (Roy's), and Alan Wong (Alan Wong's), along with an bunch of other noted chefs.

https://www.merrimanshawaii.com/peter-merriman/

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post