SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mannequin murder 1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mannequin murder 1 Login/Join 
posted
Finally some justice for those who appreciate their mannequins!

http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2...in-mannequin-attack/

"LAS VEGAS (AP) — A hunt for the killer of two sleeping homeless men in Las Vegas led to an unusual attempted murder charge Tuesday and a legal debate about criminal intent, when a man was accused of trying to kill a mannequin used as a decoy near the downtown site where the men had died of head injuries.

The charge was lodged against 30-year-old Shane Allen Schindler at a hearing in which a justice of the peace ordered him to undergo a mental competency evaluation.

Clark County Public Defender Phil Kohn derided the charge of attempted murder as “a legal impossibility,” saying someone can’t kill an inanimate object.

But Nevada appellate law appears to support the charge. The state Supreme Court in 1976 rejected an argument asserting that “since it is legally impossible to commit the crime, it must also be legally impossible to attempt the crime.”

“We decline to concern ourselves with the niceties of distinction between physical and legal impossibility,” the court said at the time. It issued a similar ruling in 1989..."

Mannequins can sleep a bit easier tonight.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas

I imagine they are trying to link him to the 2 other head-bashing murders.

Posts: 4013 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Only a dummy would attack a mannequin!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have to do a better job at gathering statistics on these depraved-hearts crimes. The murder of mannequins could very well surpass the numbers of Chicago, mannequin exploitation and abuse, and arguably, mannequin illegal importation, especially in baseball.

Regarding the latter, it might not be unduly difficult to identify them.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I see their point. They caught a guy who, in his mind, was trying to murder another human. However, he didn't actually HARM or even attempt to harm another human in this instance (assuming they haven't pinned him for the actual murders yet). Suppose a guy breaks into my house, comes into my bedroom, and empties a magazine into my bed, thinking I'm sleeping there (and he only puts holes in my bed and sheets). Could he argue that he didn't actually harm me, and therefore shouldn't be tried for attempted murder?

This is right up there with DUI and pedo charges (like on To Catch a Predator). From what I understand (I don't drink anymore and don't follow the laws on this too closely), you can get a DUI in some states by simply sleeping it off in the back of your car, if you have your car keys on you. I have always considered this wrong and stupid. How can you be 'driving under the influence' if you aren't driving? Or, they bust people for pedophilia, for simply showing up with the alleged 'intent' of having sex with a child. I really don't have a problem with the pedo charges, but I think it is wrong for the DUI example. I suppose one could argue that the stakes are so high (public safety) that they can't afford to wait until they commit the crime before they arrest them, but this sort of thing could easily transform, over time, into a 'thought police' kind of situation whereby they arrest people for allegedly thinking certain thoughts.

Of course, I'm no law expert, so what do I know. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21853 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm no law expert

You've shown one better. Sense.

Hard to argue with that.

posted Hide Post
Game Wardens use decoy deer/elk all the time to get poaching convictions. It stands up in court as long as the rack isn't too big, then an entrapment defense has been successfully used.
S.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
mannequin lives matter

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sorenson:
Game Wardens use decoy deer/elk all the time to get poaching convictions. It stands up in court as long as the rack isn't too big, then an entrapment defense has been successfully used.
S.

Isn't the charge on these typically for discharging a weapon from a roadway or trespassing, not actually Poaching? Apples and Oranges to trying to charge someone for attempting to murder a piece of plastic.....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kudos to the officer and the State Attorney who came up with it. Extra credits and a silver star for their foreheads for creativity.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Next you'll have to have consent from blow up sex dolls.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31473 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
If thought-crime is illegal, I definitely need to keep away from the beach.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
You can "attempt" to kill anything. There are no guarantees of success.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was like one of these...
http://www.someecards.com/life...n-addict-sex-robots/

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8389 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
Originally posted by sorenson:
S.

Isn't the charge on these typically for discharging a weapon from a roadway or trespassing, not actually Poaching? Apples and Oranges to trying to charge someone for attempting to murder a piece of plastic.....

Like many wildlife violations, charges can vary. Much depends upon the reaction of the suspect upon being caught. Fess up, mea culpa, and you might get the discharge from a roadway or destruction of state property, etc. Become indignant and you'll probably get hit w/ an attempted unlawful take of protected wildlife charge. Much leeway for officer discretion I believe.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Was the mannequin named "Pris"?

She might have needed shooting.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
How do we know the mannequin survived? Maybe it should be first degree murder and off to death row for the next 20-30 years.

If one day he's eligible for parole, does he have to apologize and show remorse to the mannequin's surviving family?

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post