SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Painting a bathroom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting a bathroom Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
I have gutted one of our bathrooms. I have left the old sheet rock in place. I had to remove wallpaper that was put on years ago over painted sheet rock. I am painting the top half and putting bead board on the lower half. I have spackled and dents and dings in the sheet rock. I hate painting. Do I have to put a primer over the old white paint before the new light gray paint I plan to paint, or can I use the paint that is both a primer and finish coat? I have read pros and cons of this. Like I said, I hate to paint.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely use a good primer/sealer for the bathrooms. Lots of moisture in there

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1130 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Kilz Primer , all the way !!!
In the bathroom I wash the walls before applying primer.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck using using outdoor paint that was primer/base type in bathroom.

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Painting all the way down to the bottom with a sealer is not a bad idea. Old sheetrock in a bathroom has a way of venting an odor.

Good luck. I came home to a bathroom with half-torn wallpaper when my (ex)wife decided she was sick of it. I ended up removing all of the wall paper, taking down the rear glass partition on the tub, rebuilding the knee wall so as to not protrude into the room, removing window trim for a flush look, and fitting in a different vanity and top. The paint I used was from the buck-a-can stack at HD. Rain Forest Green - tinted premium primer.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like a separate primer first. If you can use a real paint store. Listen to what they say. Many make a special paint for bathrooms, usually a semi or full gloss.
Get the most moisture resistant bead board you can. Paint the back side and all edges after cutting before installing to help stop moisture getting in. Remember to seal nail holes after installation.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yes a good primer, not a KILZ fan but am a Zinsser fan.
The main thing is that the "flatter" the topcoat the more susceptible to peeling.
Use at minimum an eggshell but a semi-gloss is much better to resist the water absorption and then the peeling. NO FLAT!.

Posts: 22927 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My wife is the painter in our family. She prefers Perma-White by Zinsser as the primer. And in a bathroom we would absolutely prime first.

I'd say if you hate painting, make sure you won't have to redo it in a couple of years due to mold.

Posts: 18081 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I used Bahr Primer, I'm waiting for it to dry now. I bought a good semi-gloss paint to match the floor that went in on Monday. I've started last Sunday and took everything out (vanity, mirror, toilet) and first put concrete board before the tile. I am taking my time and not rushing it but it is still at least an 8 hour day since starting. Getting the old wallpaper completely off was a pain. Hopefully I'll get the color coat on today. Even though the bathroom has a tub/shower, we have 3 other bathrooms where everyone showers. This at one time was the main bathroom before we put a second floor on the house. The tub gets used when we give the dog a bath, so only a handful of times a year. On the bottom of the walls I am goin to do bead board.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Painting all the way down to the bottom with a sealer is not a bad idea. Old sheetrock in a bathroom has a way of venting an odor.

Good luck. I came home to a bathroom with half-torn wallpaper when my (ex)wife decided she was sick of it. I ended up removing all of the wall paper, taking down the rear glass partition on the tub, rebuilding the knee wall so as to not protrude into the room, removing window trim for a flush look, and fitting in a different vanity and top. The paint I used was from the buck-a-can stack at HD. Rain Forest Green - tinted premium primer.

My wife did the same thing. That is one reason for the main remodel. It was due anyway.

Living the Dream