SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Food that held up a nation: video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Food that held up a nation: video Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
This channel has dozens and dozens of great videos about colonial America. The host is easy to listen to and he's a good teacher. The videos are well done and there's no stress in them. Take a look and learn something about your country.

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have primarily watched their food videos so far and find them to be excellent. The colonials used nutmeg far more often than I would have ever thought.

Posts: 3154 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve watched a bunch of Townsends’ stuff.

The one where they built a cabin and make a clay oven series is cool.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
I have primarily watched their food videos so far and find them to be excellent. The colonials used nutmeg far more often than I would have ever thought.

It actually has antiseptic properties, scientists discovered this some years back. These people must have realized that foods took longer to spoil when spiced with things like nutmeg.

Back during the various plagues that hit Europe in the Middle Ages to the 1600’s, wealthy people would actually wear whole nutmegs in pouches around their necks as they thought that would ward off these diseases.

Posts: 33832 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jon Townsend is a national treasure, he's not only working to understand and preserve a time period of our nation's formative beginnings but, more importantly, he's living it and sharing it. Not to mention is fixation on putting nutmeg into everything. Big Grin

3-years ago, he got a whole lot of grief from triggered 'conservatives', who crapped all over him for one of his videos. I use quotes because these people I'm not sure could be called Conservatives but, were more simply, idiots. Long story short, he had a video featuring a dessert called Orange Fool, debuted on July 3rd at Mount Vernon, and commenters twisted themselves into all sorts of knots attempting to associate the name of the dish with DJT and perceiving a veiled slight. He responded days later with an exasperated video venting at his exhaustion where every topic today has become a political pivot point. In many ways, it was refreshing to hear him comment on contemporary times.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm aware of the "incident". Anyone who actually watches the Townsend videos should know that he keeps his political beliefs to himself. The lack of even the slightest hint of political leanings is one of the reasons I invest my time with his channel.
Though the word has been overused to the point of being trite, he has a passion for American colonial history. On top of that, he comes across as the most amiable of fellows, someone to share a laugh and a cup of grog with at the local tavern. He's not out to pull the political wool over anyone's eyes. All I saw in that "incident" was a feeding frenzy and nothing more.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Townsend's channel is a treasure trove of history and information. I stumbled upon it by accident, when I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4o1wYwkv9g

It was around Christmas, and I had caught a little bit of the classic "A Christmas Carol" on the radio earlier that day, and in a spare minute I went Googlin' to learn what a plum pudding is. I found the video above, and promptly fell down rabbit hole after rabbit hole on his channel.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Very cool videos. Jon remind me of another electrician I used to work with, Marshal. Even wore a very similar hat to work, but he had a handlebar mustache. Friendliest guy you'd ever meet and loved camping with his family. Those videos are like a breathe of fresh air filmed in the outdoors.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Townsend has a store that is a great place to get supplies for flintlocks, re-enactment clothing and materials, etc. Gotten stuff there several times - but didn't know he did videos!

Thanks for posting! Smile

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
As a history nerd and amateur chef, I love Townsends' YouTube channel. I've seen almost all of his videos.

The various food videos are great, but I especially like the ones where they build things like cabins, ovens, and canoes from scratch using historical tools and methods.

Plus, his delivery is just so positive and calming. Makes for great viewing while laying in bed at the end of the day.

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post