SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What can you say of India as a ally and trading partner?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can you say of India as a ally and trading partner? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
Been learning what I can of India as a ally to the US and Australia due to the china factors. Hearing now that china is becoming a bad place for investors while India is attracting them. I know the 2 countrys do not get along well. china seems to be getting a bit dicky to all their neighbors. The Taiwan thing factors into this along with x.i. pings quest for the S. China sea. I know we are well respected by India and they are growing their military and nuke forces in the event of conflict with the chicoms. I would think we could do well to become good trading partners with India and have them as our ally should we need to deal with x.i. pings problem. I personally feel we should surround that little prick with military partners from around the globe and tell him to just blink and we will lay waste to his screwed up commie nation. How do you feel about India? I like the people, they make quality products and are certainly not affraid of x.i. pings military.

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They’re not communists so they got that going for them.

============================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
One of the few cultures which you can introduce as evidence against a witness.

They have no concept of “truth as it actually is,” inherent to their culture.

Lots of Indian immigrants are good folks, and Sikhs/Indian Christians tend to be excellent, but I don’t see us ever finding too much use for them.

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been to India a few times and just from the street level view it is a total clusterfuck. You just have to see it to understand. Quality is affected by their relentless focus on minimizing cost of everything, paying as little as possible to get something that barely meets any standards, if that. This also shows in the infrastructure, which is made even worse by corruption.

They are already an ally and significant trading partner. But the country is virtually unmanageable and still very 3rd world. But hey, where else can you sit on a balcony of the executive lounge of a 5 star hotel, and see women standing in the polluted river down below beating clothing on rocks to "clean" it? Make sure not to eat or drink anything that may have possibly touched tap water or you will regret it. Severely.

China is moving much much faster and further ahead every year. It's not even close. A lot of the difference is cultural and not necessarily because of the political systems.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
As a contract programmer, I worked for an Indian company that was doing work for Verizon. Prior to that I was part of Nortel Networks when they declared bankruptcy and worked with a different set of IT contractors who were based in India. In my experiences, they are friendly people, but there’s a lack of work ethic and they have no issue with telling you whatever they think you want to hear instead of being truthful. They tend to be class based as well and “managers” are considered superior to the worker bees who actually do the work.

IMHO we gain nothing from India as an ally. They would leave you hanging in a heart-beat if it benefited them.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
They seem to supply more than their share of scammers.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
As the Islamo-supremacists have been killing Christians, Jews, and Hindus for centuries, and as the Communists are self-declared enemies of religion, a Christian-Hindu alliance seems natural. But the Indian nationals that I have met can best be described as weak and worthless.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
One of the few cultures which you can introduce as evidence against a witness.

They have no concept of “truth as it actually is,” inherent to their culture.

Lots of Indian immigrants are good folks, and Sikhs/Indian Christians tend to be excellent, but I don’t see us ever finding too much use for them.
. There a lot of men from India who are citizens driving trucks now.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
They should have the same level of sanctions as Iran until the spam and scam calls stop.

Posts: 9941 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Lord Mountbatten made a big mistake.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31359 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Lord Mountbatten made a big mistake.

Although Lapierre and Collins' "Freedom at Midnight" is decades old, it's still an excellent treatment of the events of 1947.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3428 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Years ago my older sister was an office manager for a real estate investment company in Los Angeles. The owner was from India and as a reward for her work he offered her an all expense paid trip there for two weeks. She went with my dad. They had a personal guide each day they were there.

She said the accommodations were first rate and the tours were breathtaking. The people she met were friendly and many spoke english. But, the poverty was beyond your imagination and it was everywhere. The story above about the woman cleaning her clothes next to the fancy hotel was very much true.

She said she enjoyed the trip but would never go back.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5023 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
None of this sounds very positive. I was getting youtube educated about a border skirmish between Indian and chicom troops. Seems china is trying to expand their border in the mountain region. India seems a bit of a under dog. Yet they claim to have huge numbers of ready reserve military, way more than china. china is starting to suck internally and x.i. ping may be looking to cause trouble with neighbors to cover his problems at home. With just 350 nukes in tubes they really need to look around and consider who they may be making enemies of. Corse, with the spineless nobody in charge in Washington, it figures.

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
India is he next China. Too big for their own (or ours, or the world's) good.

As individuals, they are a fine people, but the culture is infected with the same fatalism that hinders Islam.

Posts: 6391 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a fan. Their scams and calls have given me a very negative opinion. The two guys at Car Source in Kenosha are all too common. I feel they have a disdain for Americans and think we are all a mark.

Posts: 17159 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
India is really messing with China on several fronts, from Tibet to trade and economic influence in the Indian Ocean region. So yeah, they are a good ally to have.

Not sure what internet scammers or women washing clothes in a river has to do with OP's original question.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2827 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Cultural. They are a, very, low trust society. (Excluding the Sikhs and Christians - which are sizable minorities.)

Definitely a place to remember that the "enemy of my enemy is his enemy. Not necessarily my friend."

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's an example of the Indian military/police:

At the airports are armed guards with military looking uniforms but I'm not sure what their actual affiliation is. All have a Hi-Power in a cross draw belt holster (ugh). Some have an AK-ish (maybe SKS-ish) rifle slung over the shoulder barrel pointed up (like old slings we don't use anymore). And the others have a submachine gun they wear like a pocketbook with the barrel level and forward SWEEPING EVERY GODDAMN PERSON IN THE TERMINAL. The natural assumption is that their actual training is minimal, and they are likely a greater danger to themselves and nearby civilians than they would ever be to an actual terrorist.

Then there is the farce you have to go though. Run bags through an X-ray before check-in and get tags stamped. Check-in and check baggage, and agent verifies stamps on tags. Go through security and get carry-on bags X-ray checked again, and tags stamped again. Then a guard 10 feet away checks the tags and stamps again before you leave security. Then at boarding, put the bags through ANOTHER X-Ray check at the gate.

And don't get me started at the jetway that is literally filled all the way up with wheelchairs. Like the entire jetway both departing and arriving. Why you may ask do so many infirm Indians travel internationally? Well it seems they figured out that wheelchairs get you priority boarding so...

The problem with India is a culture of dishonesty, gaming of every system, and exaggerating every qualification. Don't believe one resume you read without proof the candidate actually knows half the stuff they claim, or the consultant has actually had anything to do with the case studies in the proposal. The way they see it, if you let them take advantage of you, that's your fault. They owe you no duty of honesty or fair dealing.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem with India is a culture of dishonesty, gaming of every system, and exaggerating every qualification. Don't believe one resume you read without proof the candidate actually knows half the stuff they claim, or the consultant has actually had anything to do with the case studies in the proposal. The way they see it, if you let them take advantage of you, that's your fault. They owe you no duty of honesty or fair dealing.

Yeah, they are exceptional at writing resumes.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
So, we haven’t learned anything in the last two years about becoming dependent on overseas manufacturing and shipping of those products halfway around the globe?

Multiple recalls of prescription drugs from India since 2020, I read that up to 40% of our generic drugs come from there. I’m not too warm and fuzzy about that.

Outsourcing of customer service centers is a sore spot with me. Linksys, Direct TV, AmEx those three come to mind of companies I refuse to deal with due to bad experiences with their customer service and or tech support services. Arrogance, incompetence and arguments when I requested to be sent to the next level for assistance when a problem could not be resolved with the initial call.

I think we are just trading one problem for another if we start to become more dependent on India than we are presently.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8065 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post