SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What can you say of India as a ally and trading partner?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can you say of India as a ally and trading partner? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
As a contract programmer, I worked for an Indian company that was doing work for Verizon. Prior to that I was part of Nortel Networks when they declared bankruptcy and worked with a different set of IT contractors who were based in India. In my experiences, they are friendly people, but there’s a lack of work ethic and they have no issue with telling you whatever they think you want to hear instead of being truthful. They tend to be class based as well and “managers” are considered superior to the worker bees who actually do the work.

IMHO we gain nothing from India as an ally. They would leave you hanging in a heart-beat if it benefited them.

^^ In working with IT workers in India, this describes my experience as well.

Posts: 2357 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
How has India helped us since its inception as a country?

What is India's track record as an ally of anyone?

The answer to those questions would govern my expectations of them as a potential U.S. ally in the future. Trading partner of convenience is a lot different from ally.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
India plays both sides of the coin especially in arms deals, they will buy Rafael fighters then new AKs under license built from Russia and S400 missile systems never mind the already purchased Sukhoi and other aircraft.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Valkyrie-India buys defense equipment from the former USSR and now Putin's Russia and from France, because, very simply, the US Govt has a long standing tradition of not selling any arms to the Indian Govt., while arming Pakistan to the teeth with F-16 jets, P-3 Orion planes and drones, artillery pieces, and tanks etc. If the US sold arms and armaments to India, sure they would buy American arms, and not go to get the s****y quality Russian pieces of crap that they end up with.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
India plays both sides of the coin especially in arms deals, they will buy Rafael fighters then new AKs under license built from Russia and S400 missile systems never mind the already purchased Sukhoi and other aircraft.
My thinking is geography may have something to do with this. Too many adversaries in the area to risk losing our weapins tech, which is good policy.

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
Valkyrie-India buys defense equipment from the former USSR and now Putin's Russia and from France, because, very simply, the US Govt has a long standing tradition of not selling any arms to the Indian Govt., while arming Pakistan to the teeth with F-16 jets, P-3 Orion planes and drones, artillery pieces, and tanks etc. If the US sold arms and armaments to India, sure they would buy American arms, and not go to get the s****y quality Russian pieces of crap that they end up with.
Which is a shame because the Pakis should get nothing from the US.

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I think they are a better trading partner than China is.

I have worked Telecom for almost 30 years and worked and managed many Indians, yes, culturally they are different, I can't stand working with higher ranking Indian Managers due to their arrogance, but I know many Indians that I would ask for by name if I was staffing a project as their work ethic is beyond question.

We should embrace India as an ally as they have zero love for the chinese....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This "ally" thing has lost its meaning. An ally is
a country that has shouldered a rifle with you.
Now, for instance Canada has done so and so is an ally.
We had several allies in the Korean conflict.
If a certain country is friendly... that doesn't make
it an ally.
In World War Two it was the allies against Germany and
Japan.
In the news Allies was used to describe our side.
Now, about India... our relationship has always been
friendly.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
I'm kind of surprised at the amount of shitting on India in this thread, really? You're condemning an entire huge democratic nation over phone scammers?

^^^^^^^
Surprised there isn't more disdain. I would much prefer dealing the Phillipines when it comes to CSR. Their programming skills suck as well.

Philippine call centers, no better than Indian call centers. They are all handed a script and all told to follow it. Sure it works, as long as it’s a routine question or problem. But once it becomes a out of the ordinary situation you are screwed.

I’ve had several of these situations in both my work life and personal life that I felt like it was an adaptation of “Who’s on first”, the only way out was to ask or in some cases demand a supervisor.

It’s nothing personal, just business. And I still do not think expanding trade with a nation halfway around the globe is a wise idea.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8065 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I hope our relationship with India remains friendly. It does seem absurd that we don’t sell military hardware to India yet we do to Pakistan. India is involved in border disputes with China in more than one area that occasionally turns violent.

I think the US needs to increase its trade and manufacturing relationship with Vietnam. China bully's the Vietnamese over fishing water right in the South China Sea.

I think Japan should be encouraged to expand their defense forces. China encroachment in the East China Sea has led to a few confrontations.

Posts: 3122 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no recent ban on selling advanced weapons to India. In their last fighter jet competition, US offered latest variants of F-16 Viper and F-18 Super Hornet with AESA radar packages and latest targeting pods. The Indians chose the Rafale and it turned out that there was some under the table maneuvering by Dassault and other French entities to secure the deal. I think there's an ongoing full blown investigation on this by some government inspector entity in India.

Boeing is offering the F-15EX (same version the USAF is buying) for the next Indian fighter competition.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have significant sympathy for the Indian military, over what they endured recently from China in the disputed territory. Both sides had previously agreed to not bring guns to their high elevation troops. However the Chinese brought swords and machetes, and hacked 20 or so Indian troops to death.

The Chinese are so f-ng aggressive in so many ways, I hope we back India over China for years to come.

-c1steve

Posts: 4039 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:

Sure, but is that pricing, logistics, international politics or domestic class-based snobbery in action?
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
It does seem absurd that we don't sell military hardware to India yet we do to Pakistan. India is involved in border disputes with China in more than one area that occasionally turns violent.

SIG did sell them a boatload or two of .308 carbines at one point.

I understand not wanting to give hostile types a crack at some of our better equipment. Heck, Iran seems to have pretty much turned that into a domestic arms industry. But it would be a way to get paid for having a better testing ground and getting better data for development and improvement, and China has managed to drive a lot of our military activity.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Philippine call centers, no better than Indian call centers. They are all handed a script and all told to follow it. Sure it works, as long as it’s a routine question or problem. But once it becomes a out of the ordinary situation you are screwed.

^^^^^^^^^^
They are just nicer and not condescending like the Indians. Tony Hsieh of Zappo shoes had it right. His call center was in Vegas and he ONLY employed Americans. That was one main reason his company was successful.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^
They are just nicer and not condescending like the Indians. Tony Hsieh of Zappo shoes had it right. His call center was in Vegas and he ONLY employed Americans. That was one main reason his company was successful.

Post GM bankruptcy they outsourced the call center to the Philippines that dealers used for contacts regarding any parts related needs. GM finally bowed to dealer complaints and returned that call center to the U.S. At least in our situation they were as rude as the Indian CSR’s.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8065 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post