SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Valve spring compressor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Valve spring compressor Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted
Can anyone recommend a valve spring compressor that actually works? I have an ancient c-clamp type and it is not stable enough to reliably compress springs to install the valve stem o-ring. Bought one of these NAPA Screw compressor and it was worthless. The jaws would not stay on the spring. Any better options?

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You need a real one,you might try flea bay for used one.
I have one that is a big u shape with a crank to compress spring.
I don't remember the tool name and I havent used for decades in 50 era auto.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Small engine?

Overhead cam?

With the head(s) on a bench?

Depending on the manufacturer of the heads, consider a compressor by Kent-Moore or Miller.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
327 Chevy. Head off block. Prefer a non-c-clamp type if possible.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I use one like this. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/55...mZ63BdRoC1CcQAvD_BwE

Used it on countless heads over the years and rigged it up to remove Jake Brake piston springs too.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
327 Chevy. Head off block. Prefer a non-c-clamp type if possible.

We may not be on the same page of the playbook. What's wrong with using a C-clamp type if the head is already off? Other types are meant for when the head is still on.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
The c-clamp I have has a concave end rod on the valve side and a fork on the spring side. The rod slides around on the valve and the fork slips off the spring. I launched the cap and retainer into the window twice yesterday. Thankfully the blinds were down so no damage. I also find the c-clamp style unwieldy and mine doesn’t lock, so not an easy 1 person job. Finally, to keep the spring side up and level, the head has to be blocked too high off the work bench for my taste for the c-arm to clear.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I’ve used the screw type with the head on. Should be cake with it off. I can’t recall the brand. It was 30years ago.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used the c type shown and haven't had any problems. You could try a lever type that anchors to the rocker stud.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
I use one like this. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/55...mZ63BdRoC1CcQAvD_BwE

Used it on countless heads over the years and rigged it up to remove Jake Brake piston springs too.

Have an old one like this from NAPA, works great.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I have one similar to the link you showed from NAPA, just used it to replace the valve seals on an old Ford 360. A little bit of a pain to do but got the job done.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
This type work for you? GM Spring tool

Very simple to use.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Well, I bit the bullet and got an LSM spring compressor. This thing is a work of art. Perfectly designed, easy to use.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
That is a pretty fancy version!

This is the design I was referring to
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-457...ressor/dp/B000F5HUUI

Doubt it is made like the older tools though.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
I tried one of those - could not get the jaws to hold onto the spring. Tried vise grips and a radiator hose clamp but they kept falling off, so I returned it.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
This type work for you? GM Spring tool

Very simple to use.

That looks similar (same operating principle) to the one I used also forty years ago on a 327. Very simple, easy to use. I think I remember using just a touch of STP to get the keepers to stick to the valve until I released the spring.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:
Well, I bit the bullet and got an LSM spring compressor. This thing is a work of art. Perfectly designed, easy to use.

Are those the heads with the 2.02" or 1.94" intakes and small combustion chambers? I seem to remember that casting mark.

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:

Nice set of camel humps there. What's the casting number.

I had some of the 186 castings that I put a lot of work into, CC'd the chambers to 68cc on the outers and 70cc in the inners. While enlarging the chambers I took the time to chamber match to the block and the resulting relief around the intake and exhausts made for a great set of heads. Unfortunately the 186 casting has a reputation for cracking in the exhaust ports and when that happend the hardened valve seat dropped and pretty much did the engine in. Being 700 miles away from home I had it towed to a local chevy dealer to have a GMPP HT383 installed. While the 383 doesn't have near the power of that old 60 over 350 it doesn't overpower 2nd gear in the 200R4 in my Monte Carlo SS.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5652 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Heads are 461s.