SIGforum
RSX small fuse issue

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1730042164

September 21, 2019, 10:13 PM
muddle_mann
RSX small fuse issue
Car is a 2006 Acura RSX. Auto trans not a manual/Type S.

I hit a good, hard bump and my instrument cluster lights went out. When I looked outside I noticed all the park lights were out as well. I checked the fuses and found the "Small Lights" fuse was blown.

This is actually the 2nd time this has happened. The first time it was a bulb (turn signal bulb). I had hoped that was the case this time. I removed every exterior bulb from the system and even turned the instrument cluster down to off and as soon as I turn on the parks the fuse blows.

Is it possible a ground wire is the issue? If a ground wire came off would it cause the fuse to blow?

Any thoughts on resolution are welcome!

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle
September 21, 2019, 10:31 PM
snidera
It's more likely 12V shorting to ground (any metal on the chassis and/or another wire that's been damaged along side the one that's causing your short).
i don't know the honda wiring, but on many toyotas of newer vintage, the cluster & all dash lights (except radio/hvac) are on the same fuse. The exterior should be on a separate fuse, but designers are sometimes stupid.

You're going about isolating it the right way.
Being the cluster & turn signals have had similar issues(even though in my mind they should be separate), I would start where they merge. If it's easy, pull the cluster & check for damaged wires behind. There's a lot of sharp edges that can scrape a wire during assembly & not cause an issue until down the road, but 13yrs means it's probably a rubbing issue somewhere. Sounds like there are a lot of 'somewheres' possible if all the 'small lights' are on the same fuse.

Good luck. I don't envy you. Pull 1 bulb, drive around. If it happens, it's NOT that wire.....rinse & repeat
September 21, 2019, 10:49 PM
rizzle
You could substitute an old 6014 style headlight in stead of the fuse. Right now the fuse terminals have power on one, and a (short) to ground on the other. The headlight will go out when you find the short. I have an old headlight that I soldered long wires on it so I could watch it while moving wiring harnesses.