SIGforum
Some guidelines and tips for new members or for those considering registering for the forum

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1730014194

April 21, 2022, 01:28 PM
Snake207
Some guidelines and tips for new members or for those considering registering for the forum
No "Breaking News!!!" posts.

Or excessive embedded quoting.

April 21, 2022, 01:33 PM
joel9507
Maybe suggest that people put separators at the top of their signatures, if they're going to use them?

Would avoid the oddities of, say, someone with 'happy happy joy joy' as a signature posting in a 'condolence' thread and having it display as something like this:

quote:
So sorry to hear of your friend's passing.

happy happy joy joy

These sorts of non-sequiturs happen often enough that I have to guess that the signatures don't get shown in the edit window. A separator would make it clear that the text underneath isn't specific to a particular post.
April 21, 2022, 01:34 PM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:

Specifically, active shooter events.

April 21, 2022, 01:41 PM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

Specifically, active shooter events.

I agree with the restriction on posts about criminal shooting events, but it's been stated by many members that they look at the forum first for news of the day. Many events develop over time, so when aren't they "breaking"? When, for example, would the war in Ukraine be appropriate to mention? It's not over or resolved yet. It's true that people should use some common sense when deciding what to post about something that's just now being reported, but if common sense could be mandated, most of what's being discussed wouldn't have to be stated explicitly. I'd like for people to not give into the temptation to add some inane or juvenile and irrelevant comment into serious topics, but the most I can really hope for is that they not annoy me too much.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
April 21, 2022, 01:42 PM
oddball
quote:

Yes, "nesting" posts- quoting posts within posts, within posts, etc.

Also typing out a long post contained in one huge paragraph- please break up the post so it is easier on the eyes.

Leftists who want to join a gun forum and think it's OK to bash conservative thought, politicians, policy, especially using media talking points; this ain't the forum for you, you're wasting our and your time.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
April 21, 2022, 01:50 PM
Patrick-SP2022
Avoid derailing the thread by reading the original post before replying.

Does your reply have anything to do with the original post?

April 21, 2022, 03:13 PM
parabellum
Very good, thank you. Updated.
April 21, 2022, 03:14 PM
low8option
Before starting a political post or other sensitive topic check to ensure a post on the topic is not already in progress and post your comment in that thread, e.g., All post on Biden should be made in the on going Biden thread.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment
April 21, 2022, 03:20 PM
darthfuster
It's nice to read all of this in one place.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
April 21, 2022, 03:43 PM
Pyker
In another forum I admin we do not permit sales using Venmo, Zelle or Crypto currency. They have absolutely no protections for a buyer and are not intended for use between strangers. I guess this could be limited to bona fide vendors, but it's commonly the way scammers get their claws on people's money.
April 21, 2022, 03:47 PM
Keystoner
Perusing the page you're about to post to for Para's avatar.

Year V
April 21, 2022, 04:01 PM
.38supersig
I try to avoid putting abbreviations or acronyms in titles.

Helps those looking for info about variable frequency drives not click on a thread about vacuum florescent displays.

That and any other clickbait.

April 21, 2022, 04:07 PM
OttoSig
New members and those joining sure, but a number of us long-time members could do well reading this over Razz

Myself included, I tend to let my foul language get carried away sometimes.

Also, everyone think of which suggestions you’re posting are your own pet peeves as opposed to action detrimental to the forum. Having 107 guidelines will water down the important stuff and defeat the purpose.

Let it ride.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!
April 21, 2022, 04:27 PM
4MUL8R
Suggested text

“Members are encouraged to avoid starting threads in the Lounge when the subject matter is clearly related to specific forums. For example, movies are discussed in the lair, holsters and belts in CCW, complaints in what’s your deal, rifles in Mason’s, etc. Keeping the threads organized in forums helps everyone enjoy the perusal and posting.”

“Members may find that information from a news source has already been posted, by searching related forums. For example, stories about the 2nd amendment may not be posted in the lounge, so searching the lounge will not find that post, and a duplicate thread might be started. Avoid duplicate threads at all costs.”

-------
Trying to simplify my life...
April 21, 2022, 04:28 PM
Sig2340
Never, and I do mean never, respond to a rebuke from an admin with anything other than "Yes, sir. Will do so in the future."

Closely related is never argue of the call of an admin. For example, if an admin says "No clickbait titles. This is a clickbait title" it would be ill-advised to respond with a new thread titled "No Free Speech Here." And this applies with even more fervor when it comes to poking the Boss. Not once in the 13 years I been a member here has that course of action worked out well for the poker.

On that, remember this is not a "free speech" zone. It is within reason, but this forum is the private property of the owners, and what they say goes. Period.

There is one thread you should consider reading from beginning to the end: "Enough of the Cat Pictures ." Not because there is some hidden secret there, other than it is amusing.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018
April 21, 2022, 04:30 PM
SIGnified
^^^ no need for that.

Sunday night is a tradition around here.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
April 21, 2022, 05:32 PM
911Boss
How about “Know whose house you are in”?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

April 21, 2022, 05:50 PM
^^^ That was one of the funniest exchanges ever. Big Grin

Q

April 21, 2022, 06:13 PM
ScotP7
Thank you, Para, for the environment.
April 21, 2022, 06:32 PM
sigcrazy7
Unless explicitly condoned by the owner, Sigforum is not the place to discuss other online forums, especially other firearm related forums.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus