SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Also exploring moving to TX. Texans, please chime in...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Also exploring moving to TX. Texans, please chime in... Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
We're planning on exiting OR at the end of the school year. It's a solid GO! We've been exploring FL mostly, as that's my wife's home state when she immigrated from Brazil and her heart always longs for FL.

But as the country has polarized more and more, we would like to move to a place that is solid in conservative values. We do like the appeal of TX as it also has no state tax and you can get much more land there for your money than you can in FL.

I'd like some property with a shop where I can do my gunsmithing and homeschool my son who will be finished with 6th grade by then.

My wife is an OR nurse and she can work at any level 1 hospital. She is considering being a travel nurse as well. I'd like to stay away from areas that are prone to natural disasters and looking anywhere from central TX to east TX so we are in close proximity to FL for vacations.

We'll have to sell the house and we'll maybe have $100k to put toward relocating. We'll probably have to rent and search for a house when we move. We're looking for a 3BR house in the 2,000 SqFt range with a shop and possibly land. Looking for a house in the $300k to $400k range.

I do have a good friend north of San Antonio who'd be ecstatic if I moved there and he says that area is nice. We're also looking at Montgomery county.

Any input is appreciated.
Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5415 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Before we moved here, Mrs. Mike found some kind of online calculator for cost of living. Turns out we were spending the same in eastern NC vs here. Texas property taxes are higher-they gotta get money somehow. But the other taxes are different(less) we don’t get dinged on our cars annually like we did in NC. Or ATV or jet skis, or other “property” taxes.

You can shop your electricity rate….found that weird.

It’s hot as fuck in the summer….but there’s little humidity. So that’s better than in Fla or like it was in NC.

Snakes and spiders and scorpions…gotta check where you walk if out at night. I live in a subdivision and we get the occasional rattler because of the large natural area for rainfall runoff.

My 2500 sqft house is valued at $250k in Temple, the same floor plan in another neighborhood is $290k just a few miles away. It’s the location and it’s in the fancy neighborhoods…..meh

San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Houston are all liberal areas, and housing is wayyyy more expensive in those areas. We live in Temple and it’s not bad. Round rock, Georgetown, Hutto and basically any town w/I 30 miles of the big city’s are the same way. So don’t expect it to be the conservative bastion you hope for…all the Californians have been flooding into the state and they go to the big cities.

Other than that, we love it here.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11295 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony.

We have lived in Montgomery County for 13 years, currently at the intersection of Conroe/TheWoodlands/Magnolia. For your budget and home size you should be able to find something that will work, although if you want land with it you'll be further out from town.

The neighborhood where we live has 1/2 acre lots with some houses sitting on two lots. Prices for a home in your size range could work here, although homes for sale go quick.

Lots and lots of hospitals where your Mrs could work.

For anything to be considered 'close' to Florida, it would have to be SE Texas. Even from here it is about nine hours to Pensacola. If you were to live north of SATX add 3.5-4 hours.

What else would you like to know? My email is in my profile if that's easier.

Also, each part of Texas has their own natural disasters. Gulf coast contends with hurricanes, central Texas: floods, north Texas: hail and tornadoes.

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
When we escaped from Colorado we found exactly what we were looking for in NW Oklahoma. Small town, affordable, rural, conservative 1950s America.

Posts: 593 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine recently moved from So. Calif to Kerrville TX, bought a large home on 15 acres and he is in love with the move, said he should have done it years ago.

Posts: 425 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Lived in Montgomery County TX for 9 yrs before I moved back to NC.

My ex lived in Willis just north of Lake Conroe..she and her husband moved to SC and their house is on 1+ acres.

Doing it all over I think Id look in the area between Huntsville, College Station and Montgomery - Anderson and Richards are nice. Plus the national forest is just east of there.

Or N and W of San Antonio. That hill country meets W Texas scrub is very appealing to me. A good friend of mine lives in Richland Springs and he likes it, but trees are scarce.

Out in real TX (not big cities, not burbs) people are genuinely nice. I lived in one of those master planned communities (THe Woodlands) and it was "nice" but very cookie cutter, if high end. I used to describe people as "they are Woodlands nice" which means fake nice.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would do an internet search for homes in the places you are considering, just to get an idea of what you can get for your money.
I've visited both places but never lived in either one. The no tax part is often misleading. Some places have no income tax but high property taxes or the reverse. Spending is spending and it has to be paid for somehow.
Both places have some very liberal areas (usually urban, like everywhere) but much of the states are more conservative. As people flee blue states, they are going to both of those states so who knows what the long term future holds.
The terrain is much different except along the coast.
If you're like most, the wife's preference will be a big part of the decision.
Based on what you say you want, I'd probably look at the northern half of Florida myself.

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Look in the greater Bryan/College Station area, good conservative area with lots of land, no earthquakes, no tornados, and the hurricanes are pretty petered out if they ever come that direction.

My parents live in Montgomery Country, its the best County 45 mins from downtown Houston.
When you move in this general area, it will be awesome to know the M14 guy is so close.

HK Ag

Posts: 3505 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I'd say avoid the Houston area. I've been here on the west side of town for 8 years now, and it's just more subdivisions, schools, apartments, and shopping centers. Traffic is horrible as well. I am looking to get back to Florida sometime soon when the real estate market settles out. Like you, I want some land between me and my neighbors. I will never, if I can help it, live in another subdivision. The older I get, the less appealing they are.
Property taxes are pretty high here. Despite touting them as low, they are not. Maybe compared to commie states, they could be considered low.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Look in the greater Bryan/College Station area, good conservative area with lots of land, no earthquakes, no tornados, and the hurricanes are pretty petered out if they ever come that direction.

My parents live in Montgomery Country, its the best County 45 mins from downtown Houston.
When you move in this general area, it will be awesome to know the M14 guy is so close.

HK Ag

About all I can say about Bryan/College Station is that it isn't Waco.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Stay away from Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, El Paso, unless you enjoy living under commie rules.

Yes, property tax is bullshit high. Add to that the school district tax, and the MUD tax. And, every year you have to pay more and more because they keep jacking up the appraised home value. Even when you fight them and manage to lower the appraised value, it's still higher than the prior year.

Q

Posts: 26433 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
About all I can say about Bryan/College Station is that it isn't Waco.[/QUOTE]

That's helpful Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19212 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Hey Tony --- before you go, I'd still like to meet you at TCGC one afternoon to exchange some ideas and knowledge. I guess there's still time, although we are entering the rainy season.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
My wife's been reading this thread. Although she's not a gun person and doesn't know any of you, she holds the membership of this forum in high regard. She's actually the one who asked me to start this thread.

Based upon the responses she's read here, we're inclined to maintain our search in FL.

Thanks for the info! Y'all are great!

Radioman, shoot me an e-mail. I may be out there this weekend.

Tony.

Posts: 5415 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Stay away from Harris County. The county encompasses some WONDERFUL areas outside Houston proper, but Harris County taxes are VERY high...even if you don't live in a Houston address area.

If I had my druthers and wasn't so connected to my specific area, I'd move to Brenham in a heartbeat. Others have mentioned some good areas as well.

Good luck and WELCOME TO TEXAS!!!
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
About all I can say about Bryan/College Station is that it isn't Waco.
That's helpful Roll Eyes
I think...think...our friend and resident attorney is a tea sipper. Just sayin'... Wink

[/drift]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Benny, my older bro still lives in Tampa and my little bro lives in Bradenton, Fla is the same.as the read you are getting from us Texans.

- no state income taxes equals high property taxes
- stay outta large cities
- libs are everywhere (including red states)

If you don’t have kids then you can live anywhere..
Look at local hospitals and doctors closely where you may choose.

I can connect you with my bro in Tampa if you guys are looking at that’s area…..they call him Mayor Chuck in north Tampa.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11295 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We've been in Montgomery County (N Houston) since 2007.
First 2 apartments in Conroe, then 2 houses in Spring.

We like it here. Not in Harris county (Houston), but close enough that we can drop into Houston easily.

My dad lives out in Brazos county a bit south of the Bryan/College Station area. Nice & quiet out there. He's just waiting on Aggieland to expand enough for someone to drop a fat check on his doorstep for his house/property.

Love the Austin area, but it's more of a visit vs live area. Lived there for 2 years in college & don't miss the appalling traffic.

No love for the Dallas area from me, though Ft Worth isn't bad the few times we've been through there.

Lived south of Huntsville during my college years at Sam Houston, in New Waverly. Very rural & not much around there. Would suggest Willis or the area just north of Willis if you want a bit more rural, but close enough to retail stuff.
My wife's brother bought their first house in E Willis. Small homes & minimal clear cutting of the trees in there. Nice & quiet, but pretty tucked away.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Benny, my older bro still lives in Tampa and my little bro lives in Bradenton, Fla is the same.as the read you are getting from us Texans.

- no state income taxes equals high property taxes
- stay outta large cities
- libs are everywhere (including red states)

If you don’t have kids then you can live anywhere..
Look at local hospitals and doctors closely where you may choose.

I can connect you with my bro in Tampa if you guys are looking at that’s area…..they call him Mayor Chuck in north Tampa.

We're actually looking at Dade, FL. Looks to me more affordable, and Bruce Dow is out that way too.

Tony.

Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Benny did you mean Dade City in Pasco county near Tampa or Dade County (Miami). I hope you meant Dade City....I grew up on SoFla (Broward Cty) and its a train wreck now...

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Benny, can’t vouch for the overall accuracy of the information presented by the following link, but I feel like as far as Texas goes it’s useful.
High population areas both in Texas and Florida are seller’s markets.
Link

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post