SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jeep Wrangler owners step in. Update!! Second Jeep bought
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jeep Wrangler owners step in. Update!! Second Jeep bought Login/Join 
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted
I'm thinking of trading my Ford Ranger in on a used Jeep Wrangler, 2015-2018 or so. Four door, hardtop and automatic transmission are about my only requisites. What else should I be looking for?

Any negatives to the Jeep that I'm not aware of? I realize they're rough riding and lots of road noise but that don't bother me.

Bought the one posted below, and it turned out to have a blown head gasket and possibly warped head. Dealer took it back and made me a good deal on a replacement. Not a hardtop and not a four door, but I really like it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Todd Huffman,

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Nope. You’re good.

I don’t know about rough riding. A little bouncy on bridges. AEV 2.5“ lift fixed that and better cornering for me.

Running Kenda 35x10.5” on 17’s.

You’ll smile every time you get in.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
One thing to keep in mind is that 2018 is when they changed the model.
2007 through 2017 was the "JK" model.
2018 to present is the "JL" model.

Edit for correction: 2018 had both JL and JK produced. They overlapped.

So you're looking at stuff right around when the change was done.
Comparing a 2017 to a 2018 won't be a true apples to apples if you end up doing so.

The JL manual transmissions have a recall going on right now - but you're looking for an auto so you're safe in that regard. (The JL MT recall is a complete shit show)

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
The one I'm looking at is the JK, specifically a 2016 Sport Unlimited. I just about bought a different one yesterday, but the dealership started playing pricing games when they found out I wasn't financing through them so I walked out.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are pretty solid vehicles.

Have two 2-door JKs. Both manual trans.

Oil cooler in the valley of the 3.6 can (or will) develop a leak, kind of a pain to fix. Seems to be in the 90k - 100k range.

Other than that, find one as unmolested as possible. Lots of builds using cheap stuff causes all sorts of issues.

Posts: 761 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I second the suggestion on getting one as close to factory as possible. One of my nephews bought a used one that was around five years old that had been lifted, modified suspension and some other aftermarket crap done to it and he complains every time I see him about having issues with that stuff.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5048 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xanth:

Have two 2-door JKs. Both manual trans.

As they all should be.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30423 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I had 2 JKs 2010-2020. While there is plenty
of opinions about the basics of the platform, mine served
well as daily driver. Other than riding like a rocking horse
and handling like a lawn tractor, the unfixable
wind leaks and rain seepage finally wearied
me. I traded for a Ranger. While it better fits my needs
I do miss the JK.

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Be very honest with yourself on what you need in the jeep. It's easy to watch all the videos and think, yea, I need all that. Then never use it.

Do you need lockers?
Do you need sway-bar disconnects
Lift? Big-ass wheels and tires?
Hard Top? Soft Top? Both?

We have a 2018JL Manual Sahara. It's a great jeep but whoever did the lift and put big-ass wheel and tires on it, didn't re-gear it or have the speedo corrected. So I get to have that done some time this year.

I know you said you want an automatic but just in case, avoid a JL with the manual. It's under a recall right now and they have no fix.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loved my stock 2015 JK 2 door Sport with hard roof. Had automatic. Daily Driver. Had it 7 years with no problems. Wife bitched about getting in and out of it. Tried tp please with running boards and grips to help getting in and out. Oh well. Still miss it.

Awake not woke

Posts: 569 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've got 80K on my 2014 JKUR and it's been fine but there have been a number of fixes. I'd guess I've spent $2500 on some things that should not have broken. I do drive off road on occasion and for the first few years I didn't baby it. I've replaced the oil cooler, radiator and blend door activator, maybe a few smaller items. Mines on 2 1/2" lift with 35" tires, handles great.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3405 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Be very honest with yourself on what you need in the jeep.

Do you need lockers?
Do you need sway-bar disconnects

Floors?
A frame?

Oh yeah, we're not talking about my Jeep. Big Grin

Posts: 21117 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Get ready…

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7962 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Pulled the trigger today. Got exactly what I was looking for. Unmolested and all original equipment, 75000 miles on the clock.

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Well done. Clean looking Jeep.

“Jeep Wave”

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. Very clean looking.

Posts: 761 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
That’s a nice looking JK.

So you bought a Wrangler, what’s your first, second, and third mod you have planned?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4030 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Get some Ducks !

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
That’s a nice looking JK.

So you bought a Wrangler, what’s your first, second, and third mod you have planned?

LED headlights and driving lights, and a few interior upgrades. Nothing drastic. Maybe some new wheels when I put the next set of tires on it. I don't usually do much to vehicles.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:

Pulled the trigger today. Got exactly what I was looking for. Unmolested and all original equipment, 75000 miles on the clock.
Very nice! As my grandmother would have said, "You should drive it in good health."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post