SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun buying advice. What do you tell people?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun buying advice. What do you tell people? Login/Join 
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted
I have 3 favorites that always seem to come up at some point in the conversation. The first is to forget everything they've seen in movies and on TV. If they spin a revolver cylinder at 4500 RPM and flip it closed with their wrist they'll likely be confronted by a rather irate dealer.

Secondly, I tell them to stay mainstream. I avoid caliber wars and just point out that while 9mm, .45, et al can be found in every gun store .38 Super will be a rarity in comparison. Ditto for manufacturers. Everybody and their brother makes accessories for Glocks and Sigs but Korth will be a specialty item. Wink

Lastly, I tell them to rent or offer to buy lunch (or ammo) for a shooter in exchange for a range trip. Whatever it takes to actually shoot a few guns before dropping several hundred dollars on something that merely looks great on paper and the internet. I really emphasize this last one with Dad as an example when he called me about a S&W.

Dad: What do think about model x?

Me: Rent it.

Dad: I like the specs and it has fantastic reviews.

Me: Rent it.

Dad: I handled one in a gun store and it felt good.

Me: Rent one first.

Two weeks later he called again for the same conversation and, I kid you not, two weeks after that. Except the third time he was on his way to buy one. A week later we're at the range with his new purchase and his first words after shooting it were "I think it's too big to carry." I don't remember if I actually did a face palm but I know I did one mentally.

I often tell that story to others so they don't waste their time and money and I know it's been successful on a few occasions.

What about you all? What do you find yourselves telling others time and again?

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Try before you buy, if at all possible.

After buying a gun, spend some money on professional training. It is the best money you can spend.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may be the reason for the market in barely-used firearms. Shoot once and sell it.

Not that we haven't all done that, right? I have, on more than one occasion.

In my own defense, all of mine were before the days when you could easily rent just about any common pistol at a range.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9187 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lastly, I tell them to rent or offer to buy lunch (or ammo) for a shooter in exchange for a range trip. Whatever it takes to actually shoot a few guns before dropping several hundred dollars on something that merely looks great on paper and the internet. I really emphasize this last one with Dad as an example when he called me about a S&W.

Probably some of the best advice!
I also ask them what fits your hand and what fits your wallet.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8369 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I tell them to sign up for a beginners class at local gun store range, which is heavy in safety, which also gives them a variety of pistols to handle and try out.

As others have mentioned already I really urge then to try out whatever they are considering after having the basic training class. If they don't have the basic fundamentals down it is pretty much a waste of time to try out different options when the target always looks like a sawed off shotgun blast as 15 feet.

If I feel the need to recommend a specific pistol I recommend the Glock 19 new or used.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Have a girl at work doing pretty much the same. She feels people on ewe-tube know what she wants better than the idea of renting one for 100-200 rounds

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There aren't any stores around me that rent anything but the standard G19 and others that have been around for a long time. Not a chance you'll get to test fire a P365 within a hundred miles.

Posts: 8963 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Watch out for gun magazine sales pitches designed as reviews. There are some SEAL/Ranger/Special Forces/professional gunmen out there who never met a pistol that wasn’t the greatest they ever had in their hand.

If there is a gun store with a range with pistols to try/rent, shoot as many as you can.

When I went through this, I naturally asked my SEAL acquaintences what they had, and ended up with a P226 Navy. Happily, it turned out to be a really good choice, but had I actually handled/shot other makes and models, I might have picked another, better feel, more lefty friendly.

Otoh, if I had just bought the Glock, I might not have encountered Bruce Gray to learn the basics. It all worked out ok.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first Sig was due to renting one at the local range, it was love at first shot. Wink

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I invite them out to the house to shoot several.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
Training is good advice.

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've helped a few over the years. I'll invite them to the range and I'll bring a .22 semi-auto and a Ruger Single Six, a 9mm DA/SA, a striker fire 9mm and a .45 1911 for shits and grins. I'll let them shoot them after a good safety discussion. When done I tell them to get training before buying and after they've narrowed it down I tell them to rent what they think they want.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I take some time to figure out what their level of commitment might be. I'll tell you another thing, I like to find out the sort of car they are driving and how they treat it. That gives me a feel of brand and quality they'll appreciate.

I'm also going to do my best to get them a .22 that is much like the "real" gun they want. I also try to talk them into a red dot to top it with. I'll lend one, but try to get them to buy one.

Most first timers are not prepared for the ammo cost, or recoil from a centerfire.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5168 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Same advice I give people asking what bicycle to buy. Bikes (guns) are like shoes. They have to fit. So go try some on. Walk around in them (Ride/shoot.) Try several, the more the better. I don't get any more complicated than that. I think it's a pretty good analogy, if I do say so myself!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Typically I recommend a 4" 357.

That said, I usually take them to the range with several different types. I start them with some serious bench time going over SA, DA, semi auto, pluses and minuses, disassembly, cleaning, care and maintenance.

Start them out with live ammo using a 22, then 38Spl.

We go from there according to their ability to be safe and control the gun when fired.

Sold a lot of 357's. Smile It's a gun you can grow into rather than out of by eventually upgrading from Spl's to +P then magnums.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
You are assuming everyone has the ability to rent any gun.

It would be nice, as I have bought a few that I don't care for, but those places don't exist everywhere. In fact, I have absolutely no idea where one would even do that anywhere in my area.

Around here, the advice is handle it. If you like the feel, buy it. If you don't like it, sell it.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try to keep it as pragmatic as possible when it comes to handguns. Besides the usual questions about usage and frequency of usage. I stick with the following:

- Read all you can but, verify those findings by renting and try out several calibers/models before any purchase.

- Stick with a popular caliber that will be readily available: either 9, 40 or, 45

- Full-size pistols are nice ideas but, compacts like P225/228 or, G19 is more realistic for most people.

- Invest in a good holster, flashlight and training on how to use all three together. The gun is useless unless until you've familiarized yourself with professional instruction and training.

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
First, if they don't know anything about guns, I recommend that they this book.
https://www.amazon.com/Guns-10...ywords=guns+101+book

Secondly I recommend that they go to the range and shoot one first.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I invite them out to the house to shoot several.

Me too!

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I told my daughter that no gun is going to make her a good shooter. Only thousands of rounds downrange can do that.

After loading her mags with an occasional dummy round so that she could see how she was jerking the trigger, and demonstrating how her grip and trigger control can have a huge impact, she started to understand the gun wasn’t her primary problem. This alone opened her eyes big time with less than 50 rounds.

She got a couple cases of ammo for her birthday just to reinforce the point. Smile

If I could only heed my own advice!

Posts: 3956 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post