SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smaller towns around Nashville. Talk to me.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smaller towns around Nashville. Talk to me. Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Christiana is worth visiting for the Barrett owned store and factory right next door.

quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Brentwood- Old Money.

Franklin- New money. Franklin is very nice and has a good feel to it, although it's bigger than you want.

Murfreesboro- Wants to be Franklin, but the city council is a little too good old boy, and they couldn't say no to a developement if you held a gun to their heads. Way too big for you, and the growth is terribly planned.

Smyrna- wants to be Murfreesboro. You will get a ticket if you're a half a mile an hour over the speed limit. New restaurants and developments popping up like crazy, but damn near everything is getting built on top of each other on one road, so traffic is getting to be a pain in the ass.

LaVergne- can't decide yet if it wants to be Smyrna or Antioch. Has some nice areas, and some shitty areas.

Nolensville- Nice, quiet, beautiful, small. Lots of rolling hills. Checks a lot of your boxes, bring your checkbook because that land is skyrocketing in value. I looked there a few years ago and decided I couldn't do it.

Christiana- not really much of a town, but it's well located just south of Murfreesboro and land is still fairly reasonable.

Woodbury- also a smaller town, decent land prices and lower property taxes. Decent gun range (OK Corral) with pistol bays, a shorter rifle range, and trap houses.

Bell Buckle/ Wartrace- small, quiet towns with good communities. Getting further from access to bigger city things, but that might be perfect for retirement.

Posts: 6016 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The Outpost store is moving a few exits up 24 closer to Murfreesboro

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
Murfreesboro sux, been here 20 plus years.
We are leaving as soon as we can.

http://www.strategicedge.us/

https://www.deadzeroshooting.com/

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1090 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you will be retired and do not need to be in Nashville everyday your idea of getting away from Nashville is the right choice. The traffic rivals Atlanta.

As cparktd mentioned, east of Nashville past Mt Juliet in the area of Lebanon and more east to Gordonsville is a nice choice. You would have lower property prices and lower property taxes. You also still have good access to the Nashville International airport if that is an interest to you. If you do not have a gun/rifle range near, you can adapt by purchasing a few acres and creating your own. If you purchase land not far from Interstate 40 you will have a major east/west travel route close. You would also be close to Centerhill Lake and a couple of hours from Knoxville and the mountains.

If you looked more southeast like McMinnville you would be between I-24 and I-40 for interstate access but a pretty good distance from Nashville. It would be more rural (pop ~14,000). But again, lower property prices and property taxes.

If access to the Nashville airport is not an issue you could also look west in Cheatham County around Ashland City. It is surprisingly close to Nashville but still very rural and affordable. No large city but you are not far at all from Nashville. Not as convenient to the airport because you would need to cross Nashville to get to it.

Hendersonville is crowded and more expensive. If you wanted to be north you could go just a few more miles to Gallatin/Bethpage and find better prices/taxes.

All of these options are close enough to Nashville to allow for heading downtown on a weekend to check out the country music scene.

In a retired status if you do not have a need to be close to Nashville you have some amazing options in middle and east TN.

One of my first considerations would be how often you would be interested in commercial airline travel. Flying from a smaller airport like Chattanoogaa or Knoxville is expensive. Flying out of Nashville is relatively inexpensive to many destinations. If you would travel often choose a location with good access to the east side of Nashville. If you do not anticipate much airline travel your options are wide open.

I was born in Nashville, grew up in Cheatham County, later lived in Nashville and Mt Juliet. I have family in Nashville, Mt Juliet, Hendersonville, Gallatin, Cheatham County, etc. I lived in middle TN my entire life except for the past ~12 years. I regularly go back multiple times a year to visit family. We have a second home there in Gallatin.

Your choice of location would be most driven by what is a priority for you. Access to Nashville, access to the airport, larger town with shopping - restaurants - bigger stores vs smaller town in a rural area with access to acreage, would you like to be near one of the lakes, etc, etc.

Posts: 22 | Location: North GA | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
We have visited Sevierville a few times and really enjoy it. Have been thinking hard on retiring between that and Knoxville, the Merryville name has come up many times.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post