SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today at the press conference
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today at the press conference Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted
No, I'm not in the media nor do I even like them. But the state has decided to screw up traffic really bad, starting Friday. I went to get my eyes opened.

First, I hate all government types. They're liars at best. The media is just as bad. Today's talk was near and dear to me because I need to drive on the interstate bridge all the time. Its bad enough all the roads over in Ohio are a mess, now we can't even get to the problems.

The speaker from our state Transportation Cabinet is a slickster (professional liar). It was even kind of fun listening to him. He's perfected his moves. He never answers a question, he answers something different, but then tries to make the questioner feel good by thinking him/her for their good question. The one he didn't answer.

One media guy asked if they did any modeling on how bad traffic was going to be when they reduced thing from 4 lanes down to 2. His non-answer was something to do with how difficult it would be to guess the circumstances. He could have just said no. When asked how many accidents they expected, he didn't answer but said that was for the emergency responders. We did have a really fat guy, like 14 months pregnant with a Homelands Security shirt on. He was talking after the presser and guessed that most days the jam going north was maybe 8 miles long (I believe it.) They were expecting 20 miles most days.

The state liar said it should only add 15-20 minutes to your commute. Nice, because its at least that long on a good day now. Glad I retired when I did.

They did offer suggested alternate routes. Roads that don't go anywhere near where I go.

So now I ask if they even care how much trouble and time they're going to cost us. Probably not, they still have their highly paid cushy jobs regardless of how much traffic problems they cause. I think it was Thomas Sowell who said there's no worse way to make decisions than to allow someone to make them who has no price to pay for bad ones.

The only impressive part were the news reporterettes who came in all decked out. I hate women who wear makeup. These had way too much on. But a couple had nice dresses and one had nice pants. One of the dresses was a knit and the wearer spent most of her time trying to keep it pulled down. That was interesting.

So I have to ask, why does everyone lie? Is the truth that hard to spew out?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I have to ask, why does everyone lie? Is the truth that hard to spew out?

They don't have to. As you said, they have their cushy jobs and they're generally not elected nor do they have any skin in the game, but they might not be very popular with their bosses if they told the truth and that might be bad.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Don't feel bad, VA is not any better.

I wrote to the head Transportation guy back in the early 90's about synchronized lights.

They seem to turn them on for the early morning rush hour and then turn them off around 10 AM. Then around 3:30 PM, they turn them on for the evening rush hour until 8 PM. On the weekends, they seem to be on all hours.

At other times, you may hit every stop light some days.

Posts: 11893 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post