SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tesla collapse? Bankruptcy for Elon Musk is entirely possible, economist warns
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tesla collapse? Bankruptcy for Elon Musk is entirely possible, economist warns Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I always knew that Amazon's retail operations were only marginally profitable (and were actually unprofitable for a long time.) At at some point I saw that they were actually making decent money. Then the tidbit about most of the profit coming from AWS came floating by (I forget where I picked it up.)

If I were a big institutional investor holding a lot of AMZN, I'd be beating the drums for them to split up the company, since the retail operation has to plainly be holding down the value of AWS. In point of fact AMZN has gotten a huge pass from Wall Street on the profitability of it's retail operation.

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Do you know where Amazon REALLY makes its money? The web / app hosting business. AWS is floating the rest of the operation.

I'm surprised Wall Street isn't screaming for them to split it off into it's own operation. The retail business are essentially holding back it's valuation.

This is one of those great things about SigForum - actually knowledgeable people willing to share their insights. I was ready to call bullshit on this as it didn't fit my impression so I pulled up Amazon's 2018 10-k filing.

For 2017, their sales were $106 billion for North America retail, $54 billion for International retail, and a mere $17 billion for AWS. Aha! I knew something was fishy. Then I went one level down and looked at their operating income and saw $3 billion for N.A. retail, a $3 billion LOSS for Int'l retail and $4 billion for AWS. While not quite carrying the rest of the operations, AWS certainly is the most profitable in percentage and absolute dollars.

Thank you, BBMW! I don't get that kind of insight from even CNBC.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This isn't an issue for the government. This is an issue for AMZN stockholders. See my reply above.

quote:
Originally posted by matai:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Do you know where Amazon REALLY makes its money? The web / app hosting business. AWS is floating the rest of the operation.

I'm surprised Wall Street isn't screaming for them to split it off into it's own operation. The retail business are essentially holding back it's valuation.

quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:

Yes but amazon had few internet competitors. Telsa is competing with companies who already have successful exltra cars that YUGE. Toyoyta, Honda, Chevy, well under the 45k mark per car.

Amazon had to convince people to buy their crap online for cheap when no one else was offering it. People are inherently lazy so this worked.

Tesla has to convince people to buy their crap for more than what the other guy sells it which is widely available. Seems like a losing a proposition.

Amazon also made available many products that lpcal stores did not carry, or had carried but stopped carrying. I was fond of a brand of toothpaste, no longer made, that disappeared from store shelves, and ordered it in bulk packs from Amazon until manufacturing stopped. There was a shaving cream that went through the same thing.

Amazon came up with a very easy to use user interface. I use it mostly for Kindle stuff now but have bought all sorts of stuff there. I have also been an Amazon seller, where the interface is less efficient by far.

This, I sure hope the government doesn't get involved, it'll be better for everybody if they don't.

AWS is awesome Smile

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I believe it's been said that when he needs money for Tesla, he borrows some from Space X, etc. So it's absolutely in his interest to build several large companies, like the new one that is going to build high speed rail,etc. The more gov money coming in, the longer he can keep this thing afloat by shuffling a little money from this company to that company. Probably will end up crashing and burning (all of them) with him ending up a fugitive from justice or in prison for his Ponzi scheme.

I think that's a fair, likely accurate assessment.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post