SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Headlight Lens Restoration
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headlight Lens Restoration Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
Ok, so after the "running with your headlights on Brite" thread, I felt bad that my headlights were so bad. No, I do not run with my brites on but they are pretty bad. As you can see here:

Headlight Lens Restoration by redstone71, on Flickr

I had tried to restore them with a kit a few years ago and it made them far, far worse. The short answer, there are no shortcuts. Either do the hardwork, or just replace the headlight lenses ($200).
I have a 2004 Saturn Vue.

First step, get a kit:

If you notice the top edge of the headlight you can see some 'clear' plastic, this is the new goal Smile Also, the package comes with three types of sandpaper (400,1000,2000) and buffing compound. I believe the cheaper, previous kit only had buffing compound. The box says 30 minutes, but it took me close to an hour. Bring a chair, some music, warm water so your fingers do not freeze, and just enjoy the process. No short cuts. . .

After, cleaning, sanding, cleaning, sanding, cleaning, sanding, cleaning, buffing, cleaning, drying, deep cleaning, drying then FINALLY putting on the UV Clear coat . . .
So far I could not be more pleased. And Yes, I did replace all the bulbs while I was at it. Thank you Sigforum, for inspiring me to finally maintenance my Vue.

- Redstone

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
They look pretty good.
just did a set recently myself.
400, 600, 2000 grit wet sand and a few coats of clear coat. good as new.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Looks good. Now you just need to hit them with a good sealant and wax. Yes, the same as you'd use on the rest of the car. It will delay the further sun damage.

And you can recoat with that from time to time without waiting for it to get so bad.

eta - is it just me or is there an image of a crazy muppet with some headpiece on in the middle of that center light?!! Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12423 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
They look good, but just remember, sanding headlights like that removes any protection they might have once had, so they'll likely frost over quicker the next time.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Sams Club $40 headlight restoration service is the way to go.
Come with a gauruntee of a few years as well, forget exactly how long.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25428 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Sams Club $40 headlight restoration service is the way to go. Come with a gauruntee of a few years as well, forget exactly how long.
Do you have to be a Sam's Club member?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I have used the "Wipe New" brand and it last a couple years before it starts to fade away.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14011 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Sams Club $40 headlight restoration service is the way to go. Come with a gauruntee of a few years as well, forget exactly how long.
Do you have to be a Sam's Club member?

I would presume as much. But if you don’t want to join I guess you could get the free day pass.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25428 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
That came out very nice.

I tire quickly when polishing. So, I do what I can with Flitz and cotton pads (ie - for barrel cleaning) in about 10 minutes per light.

Lasts about 1-2 years. I was wondering about using my Porter Cable orbital with Flitz next time around. Or maybe my small mouse sander - just need some cloth to stick onto it.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12726 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Nice Job.

After several attempts on my F150's lens to shine them up, eventually the external lens on both turn signal housings came loose, one fell

Since you can't polish whats not there LOL I opted for the $120 full replacement on Amazon, both headlight assembly and both turn signal assembly, they now look like new, because they are new.

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Nice work. Keep a bottle of 3M Headlight renewal for when it starts to look a little cloudy again:
http://a.co/d/c9SXs8D

Then hit it with a UV Protectant like "Meguiars Headlight Protectant"

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2270 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Nice Job.

After several attempts on my F150's lens to shine them up, eventually the external lens on both turn signal housings came loose, one fell

Since you can't polish whats not there LOL I opted for the $120 full replacement on Amazon, both headlight assembly and both turn signal assembly, they now look like new, because they are new.

Funny, I recently had the passenger front turn signal cover fall off my truck too. I bought a brand new complete replacement unit off Ebay for $20.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
I recently found out a small spray of WD40 on the headlight and wipe off will do a damn good job of fixing headlights damaged. Way easier and faster.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
They look good, but just remember, sanding headlights like that removes any protection they might have once had, so they'll likely frost over quicker the next time.

The last step is to redo the UV sealant so hopefully it will last. I'm not to sure how much longer I will have it anyway.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Did a set a few years ago. It is amazing how much brighter the light is and how much better the car looks.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Great job.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19675 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I have a question for those who have done this:

I polished mine about 1.5 years ago then hit them with rattle can clearcoat.

They are now cloudy and awful again and I plan to re-do them, should I WAX them this time and skip the clearcoat? That didn’t seem to dry all that clear on them to be honest.

And no, I *could* just buy replacement headlight assemblies for my Civic at $75 each but the process to replace them is a nightmare; the guy in the YT video I watched had it on a lift and actually had to disssable the entire front end of the car, bumper off and all. Screw that.

Posts: 33819 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
They are now cloudy and awful again and I plan to re-do them, should I WAX them this time and skip the clearcoat? That didn’t seem to dry all that clear on them to be honest.

And no, I *could* just buy replacement headlight assemblies for my Civic at $75 each but the process to replace them is a nightmare; the guy in the YT video I watched had it on a lift and actually had to disssable the entire front end of the car, bumper off and all. Screw that.

I would skip the clear coat. If you redo them - just keep a bottle of 3M Headlight renewal for when it starts to look a little cloudy again (they will get cloudy again):
http://a.co/d/c9SXs8D

A quick apply/buff with that will clear them right up. Then hit it with a UV Protectant like "Meguiars Headlight Protectant".

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2270 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The replacement on the Eff Juan Fiddy was simple
two retention slide clips per side, two screws per side.

Biggest PIA is aiming them, even that wasn't hard.

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post